Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

    That's what I don't like about the DeWalt impact driver is that you can't replace the brushes in the motor at all. Other than that, it's a good design and fits well in your hand. When it comes to to replace the brushes you're stuck spending $30-40US or whatever it is for a whole new motor. Ridiculous when a set of brushes is usually something like $5. Pretty sure that's not covered under warranty. At least on most of their other XRP and high end tools, such as the drills, you can access the brushes.

    Originally posted by chic View Post
    I worked on a makita the other day and i like how they are built.I like the fact that the motor is accessible.the brushring was broke.the next day i worked on the hitachi,almost identical,motor parts execept the shapes.I would take either of these over the dewalt.the dewalt is na good inpact,but it has a sealed motor.the most problems i see is the motor burnning up suposed to the makita as they have more switch problems.but all that said dewalt is the king of sales in the cordless tool industrie.

    Comment


    • #77
      Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

      Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
      No, I didn't buy it in Canada, I picked it up over in the U.S. (beautiful Michigan, to be exact). I found out a bit ago that this item will not be offered for sale here in Canada until after Labour Day weekend at the earliest, and Christmas at the latest. I wasn't content to wait that long, especially when I knew it was only a 1 hour drive for a new toy (plus, I gassed up with cheaper gas on the same trip - perfect!).

      And it's price tag is $179.00 USD like others are reporting. The retail price for it here in Canada is reportedly going to be $249.00 CAD once it comes out. I actually got it for 10% off of the $179.00, due to dealing with a hardware manager that I know at this one HD in Michigan. Plus, the Ridgid rep had just been in, and the hardware manager got me a further 10% off mail-in rebate, for the "June/July 2007 Ridgid Event", which can only be obtained from buying from a U.S. store and getting the coupon from a Ridgid representative, and with their signature on it.

      Overall, happy with the transaction.
      Is that Ridgid Event only in Canada? I went to 3 HD and no one knows anything about it.

      Comment


      • #78
        Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

        Originally posted by JWMustang View Post
        Is that Ridgid Event only in Canada? I went to 3 HD and no one knows anything about it.
        No, it's a U.S. thing, actually. I bought at a HD store in Michigan, and the "June/July 2007 Ridgid Event: 10% Off Mail-In Rebate" coupon is actually a 'States thing. It something that you can only get from "A Ridgid booth representative", so I don't know if my hardware manager contact got it from the regional rep, or from a trade show. But I do know it is a U.S. thing, because it says "on purchases at participating U.S. (including Alaska and Hawaii) The Home Depot stores between June 1, 2007 and July 31, 2007."

        Maybe it's only something that's happening in certain areas, too. I see that you're in Florida, and this was in Michigan, so who knows - could just be in the Great Lakes regions. It's hard to say, since Ridgid may have their own categories for markets within the U.S.
        Last edited by canucksartech; 07-14-2007, 06:32 PM. Reason: Brain fart

        Comment


        • #79
          Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

          Hey folks,

          One other thing to add to my review/product info about the 18 Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Drill.

          It says on the product description on the item's webpage and on the back of the box: 1/2" Single Sleeve Locking Carbide Chuck. However, I believe that is a bit of a misnomer.

          The picture of the drill (both on the webpage, and all over on the box), shows what appears to be the Jacobs 500 chuck. Which is NOT a carbide jaw chuck. Now here's the fun part: The drill's chuck, upon closer inspection, actually reads "Jacobs 700 Series" on the plastic ring collar of the chuck. Now, when you look at the 700 series chuck on Jacobs' own webpage, it shows a picture that is fairly different from what the 500 series chuck is, and reads that the 700 series chuck has "Carbide jaw bite" inserts. And these are carbide jaws which, I can clearly see that this chuck, on the 18-volt LI drill that I have sitting in front of me, does not have.

          So it appears to be like so: this drill has a Jacobs 500 series chuck on it (non-carbide), which is mis-labelled on the chuck as a Jacobs 700 series, which it is not. So, that appears to be Jacobs' fault, for mislabelling their product. And which Ridgid, having marked the box of this product as having a carbide chuck (which it does not have), has mislabelled their product as well.

          C'est surpise! Now, we'll wait and see if Ridgid takes the high road in this matter, and offers those of us who buy this item (with the wrong type of chuck) to have them replaced if we wish with the proper model of chuck (at Ridgid's cost and expense). But wait....then, if that happens (and monkey's could fly, I tell you), I just know it would take 3 1/2 months for me to get the drill back from the service centre, since "there's no parts/we're backordered".

          Oh well. Can't have anything. (Pat, why don't you call me, my dear/dude??!!)

          Comment


          • #80
            Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

            Hey all,
            Newbie here. I'm also trying to choose between the Makita compact (black & white) and the new Ridgid. They both feel nice in the hand but what's holding me back from purchasing yet is the time the battery should last.

            If that Makita is 1.5? and we're assuming the Ridgid is 2.9?, what would the amount of time a full charge should last on both?
            Thanks and glad to find this great forum.
            Robert

            Comment


            • #81
              Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

              Originally posted by RJGiants75 View Post
              Hey all,
              Newbie here. I'm also trying to choose between the Makita compact (black & white) and the new Ridgid. They both feel nice in the hand but what's holding me back from purchasing yet is the time the battery should last.

              If that Makita is 1.5? and we're assuming the Ridgid is 2.9?, what would the amount of time a full charge should last on both?
              Thanks and glad to find this great forum.
              Robert

              Hey Newbie / RJGiants75,

              Here's a technical explanation, from Wikipedia:

              An ampere-hour (abbreviated as Ah or A-h) is a unit of electric charge. One ampere-hour is equal to 3600 coulombs (ampere-seconds), and is the amount of electric charge transferred by a steady current of one ampere for one hour.
              The ampere-hour is a unit frequently used in measurements associated with electrochemical proceses such as electroplating and electrical batteries. Although it is not a direct measure of the energy in a battery (like the joule (J) or watt-hour (Wh)), it is a common rating of how long a battery will last (or in the case of a rechargeable battery, how long it will last when fully charged).
              The commonly seen milliampere-hour (mAh) is equal to 3.6 coulombs.

              The easiest way to think about it is like this: One battery/manufacturer type is 1.5 Ah, and the other one is 2.9 Ah. I don't know exactly, but let's say for arguement's sake that 1 Ah let's you drive in 100 screws. So, for the 1.5 Ah battery, it would let you drive in 150 screws on a fully charged battery before it became discharged/dead, versus the 2.9 Ah battery, which would let you drive in 290 screws on a charge. So, it's just simply looking for a higher number - a 2.9 Ah battery would do almost double of the exact same thing that a 1.5 Ah battery would do (ie. - last almost twice as long).

              Yes, there are tons of other variables here (manufacturer type, comparing the current draw of the different drills, screw types, screw lengths, material being driven into, the type of drilling/driving being done, run time, amount of use, etc., etc.). But this is just an easy explanation, so it's hard to give you a quantifiable answer (ie. - X amount of screws, or X amount of minutes of continuous usage, etc.). The easy thing to note is that the higher the Ah rating, quite simply the longer the run time per charge of that battery. Also, the higher the Ah rating, usually the larger and heavier the battery becomes. But, since these are both lithium-ion, the weight isn't as much of an issue (the Ridgid drill itself, without the battery, is heavier than the Makita drill, again without the battery, just to begin with. So the larger battery does add in yet more weight, but since it's a LI drill, it's not that big of a deal, IMO).

              There are other variables to be considered too when looking to buy either of these (warranty, both are 18-volt, RPM ratings, different speeds/gears, costs, # of batteries/accessories included, experience/preference between the two brands, etc., etc.). But if you have already looked through those issues, and the only thing you are needed to decide on is the battery power/runtime/Ah rating between these two drills, then it would seem the best decision is to go with the larger size, so that you have a longer working/run-time between charges.

              Hope this helps. Cheers.

              Comment


              • #82
                Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

                Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                Hey folks,

                One other thing to add to my review/product info about the 18 Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Drill.

                It says on the product description on the item's webpage and on the back of the box: 1/2" Single Sleeve Locking Carbide Chuck. However, I believe that is a bit of a misnomer.

                The picture of the drill (both on the webpage, and all over on the box), shows what appears to be the Jacobs 500 chuck. Which is NOT a carbide jaw chuck. Now here's the fun part: The drill's chuck, upon closer inspection, actually reads "Jacobs 700 Series" on the plastic ring collar of the chuck. Now, when you look at the 700 series chuck on Jacobs' own webpage, it shows a picture that is fairly different from what the 500 series chuck is, and reads that the 700 series chuck has "Carbide jaw bite" inserts. And these are carbide jaws which, I can clearly see that this chuck, on the 18-volt LI drill that I have sitting in front of me, does not have.

                So it appears to be like so: this drill has a Jacobs 500 series chuck on it (non-carbide), which is mis-labelled on the chuck as a Jacobs 700 series, which it is not. So, that appears to be Jacobs' fault, for mislabelling their product. And which Ridgid, having marked the box of this product as having a carbide chuck (which it does not have), has mislabelled their product as well.

                C'est surpise! Now, we'll wait and see if Ridgid takes the high road in this matter, and offers those of us who buy this item (with the wrong type of chuck) to have them replaced if we wish with the proper model of chuck (at Ridgid's cost and expense). But wait....then, if that happens (and monkey's could fly, I tell you), I just know it would take 3 1/2 months for me to get the drill back from the service centre, since "there's no parts/we're backordered".

                Oh well. Can't have anything. (Pat, why don't you call me, my dear/dude??!!)
                I'll have to take a closer look at some of my drills that have 700 series chucks but I believe it is almost impossible to discern the embedded carbide reinforcement on the 700 series to the standard 500 series. I don't know why they would go with a slightly more expensive 700 anyway since its not a hammerdrill.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

                  Originally posted by RJGiants75 View Post
                  Hey all,
                  Newbie here. I'm also trying to choose between the Makita compact (black & white) and the new Ridgid. They both feel nice in the hand but what's holding me back from purchasing yet is the time the battery should last.

                  If that Makita is 1.5? and we're assuming the Ridgid is 2.9?, what would the amount of time a full charge should last on both?
                  Thanks and glad to find this great forum.
                  Robert
                  Note that amp hours just determine the battery life, not the efficiency of the the tool draining it. Part of Makita's improvement in the runtime for LXT tools comes from redesigned more efficient 4 pole motors than just the higher amp hour lithium batteries.

                  The Makita compact drill is designed purely around being a compact drill and that includes the batteries. Its a fair but smaller and lighter and some things need to be sacrificed for that otherwise you just end up with another standard sized drill. To more accurately compare it to the Ridgid drill you'd have to run it with the full size 3.0ah batteries. That would put its weight and chrage duration much closer to the Ridgid drill. The Makita compact is something that should work as a complimentary drill. Not your only drill. Use it for the small stuff but have a larger drill for heavy duty work or extended work.

                  One very big advantage of the 1.5 ah batteries is that while they don't last as long they charge REALLY fast. Under 15 minutes if totally drained. With a pair of batteries you will very unlikely find yourself waiting on the charger.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

                    Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                    Hey Newbie / RJGiants75,

                    Here's a technical explanation, from Wikipedia:

                    An ampere-hour is the amount of electric charge transferred by a steady current of one ampere for one hour.
                    That definition is a mouthful. Your explanation was easier to understand.

                    Basically, total battery energy is Voltage multiplied by Current multiplied by Time (the battery can supply this voltage and current.)

                    When two batteries have equal voltage you can directly compare them by the amount of time either can provide 1 amp of current...known as AmpHrs.

                    The key to remember is Amp Hrs does not take voltage into account. Higher voltage yields higher energy. To compare batteries of different voltage multiply the Amp Hrs by the voltage to get the battery Wattage.

                    For example to compare the 2.9 Amp Hr 18 volt Ridgid battery to the 3 Amp Hr 24 volt battery you would multiply 2.9 times 18 and vs. 3 times 24. The 18 volt battery has 52.2 Watts vs. the 24 volt batteries 72 Watts.
                    Last edited by Disaster; 07-17-2007, 12:41 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

                      Canucksartech/Velosapien:

                      Thank you so much for your input. It helps alot actually. I actually will be using the drill for some DIY stuff around the house but may down the line need to pack some power depending on the project.
                      I guess either the Makita or Ridgid would work well for me. Like you mentioned though the Ridgid warranty is a huge bonus(if it's for real?) and being able to use the batteries in other Ridgid tools is a plus.

                      The thing that worries me about the Makita is after reading a few reviews on Amazon,a few have mentioned that the battery ran out after 20 mins continual use. Another mentioned that it couldn't be used to mix thinset.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

                        Originally posted by RJGiants75 View Post
                        Canucksartech/Velosapien:


                        The thing that worries me about the Makita is after reading a few reviews on Amazon,a few have mentioned that the battery ran out after 20 mins continual use. Another mentioned that it couldn't be used to mix thinset.
                        Hmm.. 20min of continuos use for a 1.5ah battery actually sounds really good. Like I mentioned, this is not a drill for extended use. The batteries do charge faster than that though so just remember to pop them back in the charger right after they're spent. I use mine mainly as a wood working drill where extended runtime and loads of power are not important. Lightness and size are a lot more practical. I wouldn't use either of these drills as a mixer, that is definately NOT their intended purpose. If what you are looking for is an all purpose, all around drill you will be better off buying a standard size 18v hammerdrill. These will handle almost every job more than adequately without being overly heavy or large.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

                          Originally posted by RJGiants75 View Post
                          Canucksartech/Velosapien:

                          Thank you so much for your input. It helps alot actually. I actually will be using the drill for some DIY stuff around the house but may down the line need to pack some power depending on the project.
                          I guess either the Makita or Ridgid would work well for me. Like you mentioned though the Ridgid warranty is a huge bonus(if it's for real?) and being able to use the batteries in other Ridgid tools is a plus.

                          The thing that worries me about the Makita is after reading a few reviews on Amazon,a few have mentioned that the battery ran out after 20 mins continual use. Another mentioned that it couldn't be used to mix thinset.
                          RJGiants, no problem. That's what the forum is here for, n'est pas? And pay attention to Velosapien's and Disaster's points - they have some good things to consider.

                          Yes, the Lifetime Service Agreement is for real, and yes it is a very huge and nice bonus (although, I wouldn't call it a bonus - it's part of what you're paying for).

                          Sounds like you have your mind somewhat made up - sounds like you want to go with the Ridgid 18V lithium-ion. You bring up what you like (LSA/Warranty, battery usage on other tools, higher Ah battery, etc.). And by the sounds of things, you're not too happy about the 20 minute or so runtime on the Makita, along with a few other things (I believe it's more expensive too? Not sure.). The Ridgid LI sounds like it's what you want to go for, so go for it. I think you'll have less complaints in the long run, versus if you go with the Makita. But, just keep in mind, like Velosapien said, you may look in the future if you need to get a hammerdrill (preferably corded, IMO, for the extra power), to compliment your cordless lithium drill, depending on what your usage needs are (heavy drilling, mixing, etc.). That's what I did, and it works out perfectly - best of both worlds.

                          Good luck with your shopping. Go with your gut and you'll be happier in the longrun.
                          Last edited by canucksartech; 07-16-2007, 03:24 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

                            I did pickup the Ridgid 18V lithium-ion today. Like you noticed, I was leaning towards it over the Makita already. The Makita does feel nice in my hands but the other features of the Ridgid outweighed just the feel of it.

                            I got it at HD for $179.00 plus 10% off coupon I had from Lowes(HD let me apply competitors coupon). Can't wait to charge this baby!! Thanks!!


                            Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                            RJGiants, no problem. That's what the forum is here for, n'est pas? And pay attention to Velosapien's and Disaster's points - they have some good things to consider.

                            Yes, the Lifetime Service Agreement is for real, and yes it is a very huge and nice bonus (although, I wouldn't call it a bonus - it's part of what you're paying for).

                            Sounds like you have your mind somewhat made up - sounds like you want to go with the Ridgid 18V lithium-ion. You bring up what you like (LSA/Warranty, battery usage on other tools, higher Ah battery, etc.). And by the sounds of things, you're not too happy about the 20 minute or so runtime on the Makita, along with a few other things (I believe it's more expensive too? Not sure.). The Ridgid LI sounds like it's what you want to go for, so go for it. I think you'll have less complaints in the long run, versus if you go with the Makita. But, just keep in mind, like Velosapien said, you may look in the future if you need to get a hammerdrill (preferably corded, IMO, for the extra power), to compliment your cordless lithium drill, depending on what your usage needs are (heavy drilling, mixing, etc.). That's what I did, and it works out perfectly - best of both worlds.

                            Good luck with your shopping. Go with your gut and you'll be happier in the longrun.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

                              Originally posted by RJGiants75 View Post
                              I did pickup the Ridgid 18V lithium-ion today. Like you noticed, I was leaning towards it over the Makita already. The Makita does feel nice in my hands but the other features of the Ridgid outweighed just the feel of it.

                              I got it at HD for $179.00 plus 10% off coupon I had from Lowes(HD let me apply competitors coupon). Can't wait to charge this baby!! Thanks!!
                              you will be happy with the ridgid, it is more of an all purpose drill than the makita

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

                                Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                                Hey folks,

                                One other thing to add to my review/product info about the 18 Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Drill.

                                It says on the product description on the item's webpage and on the back of the box: 1/2" Single Sleeve Locking Carbide Chuck. However, I believe that is a bit of a misnomer.

                                The picture of the drill (both on the webpage, and all over on the box), shows what appears to be the Jacobs 500 chuck. Which is NOT a carbide jaw chuck. Now here's the fun part: The drill's chuck, upon closer inspection, actually reads "Jacobs 700 Series" on the plastic ring collar of the chuck. Now, when you look at the 700 series chuck on Jacobs' own webpage, it shows a picture that is fairly different from what the 500 series chuck is, and reads that the 700 series chuck has "Carbide jaw bite" inserts. And these are carbide jaws which, I can clearly see that this chuck, on the 18-volt LI drill that I have sitting in front of me, does not have.

                                So it appears to be like so: this drill has a Jacobs 500 series chuck on it (non-carbide), which is mis-labelled on the chuck as a Jacobs 700 series, which it is not. So, that appears to be Jacobs' fault, for mislabelling their product. And which Ridgid, having marked the box of this product as having a carbide chuck (which it does not have), has mislabelled their product as well.

                                C'est surpise! Now, we'll wait and see if Ridgid takes the high road in this matter, and offers those of us who buy this item (with the wrong type of chuck) to have them replaced if we wish with the proper model of chuck (at Ridgid's cost and expense). But wait....then, if that happens (and monkey's could fly, I tell you), I just know it would take 3 1/2 months for me to get the drill back from the service centre, since "there's no parts/we're backordered".

                                Oh well. Can't have anything. (Pat, why don't you call me, my dear/dude??!!)

                                Has anyone found out any additional information on the drill chucks. Canucksartech appears to be correct. The compact drill specifies a carbide chuck, but the Jacobs 500 series does include this. Now on the 24v drill, I have a Jacobs 700 series chuck, which does appear to be a carbide chuck. Maybe someone from tech support can confirm this. I just want to be sure it's not a mistake or I will be returning it for a different version.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X