X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

I just noticed that Ridgid has finally posted the compact lithium drill.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86006-C...rill/index.htm

So does anyone know if the 18v lithium batteries will work on the Max Select Tools? I have the 24v kit, but I would really like to use the smaller 18v lithium batteries, especially on the new Impact Driver.

Also, do does this mean that I have to buy the compact drill, just to get the 18v batteries? By the time I buy the Impact Driver + the Compact Drill, that is quite an expensive investment, along with the 24v kit. I really just want the 18v lithium batteries. Any thoughts?

Re: Ridgid 18v Compact Lithium-Ion Drill

Originally posted by brianss View Post
    I just noticed that Ridgid has finally posted the compact lithium drill.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86006-C...rill/index.htm

So does anyone know if the 18v lithium batteries will work on the Max Select Tools? I have the 24v kit, but I would really like to use the smaller 18v lithium batteries, especially on the new Impact Driver.

Also, do does this mean that I have to buy the compact drill, just to get the 18v batteries? By the time I buy the Impact Driver + the Compact Drill, that is quite an expensive investment, along with the 24v kit. I really just want the 18v lithium batteries. Any thoughts?

its about time, i saw this earlier today. yes they will work with the maxselect tools.

Comment

Finally, I have been waiting to long to get this drill. I hope it makes it by Fathers Day. The 18v ni-cad drill is being clearanced to $129 to make room for the lithium drill. This will be a great addition for my 24v kit. The l-ion batteries will cost $150 for 24v and at least $100 for the 18v, so you might as well spend a little more and get a tool, 2 batteries and charger. Tools are cheap, you pay for the batteries.
      Last edited by ARE1; 06-04-2007, 11:58 PM.

Comment

How come it has less torque than the 14.4V Nicad drill?

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
          How come it has less torque than the 14.4V Nicad drill?
          455 in-lb is plenty...especially for a lighter weight drill.

It doesn't mention it in the description, but it looks like it has a light in front of the trigger. I've gotten spoiled by that feature and wouldn't want to buy a new drill without one.

By the size of the battery I'm guessing it will only be 1.5amp hours or so...understandable compromise in a smaller drill.

Too bad the charger appears to be unique between the 24V and the 18V. Ridgid should have a universal lithium charger that charges all their lithium batteries...better yet, a universal charger that charges the NiCds and Lithiums....that is they way Panasonic does it.

Comment

Why don't you list a weight when you introduce a compact drill. Either way this will be my nest tool purchase. I also wonder if it is shorter like the makita and will they have two 18v batteries? Because the battery shown is not the one they put on the maxselect box.

Comment

why doesn't it have more torque? Because the Torque that it has is plenty to get the job done. Torque won't help you get it done faster, but RPM's will.

The torque game is really stupid. You reach a point where it just doesn't matter.

Comment

Looks about right for what it is. 455in-lbs@450rpm. The 14.4v does 475 in-lbs but at a slower 400rpm. Giving it more torque would probably require a larger gearbox and possibly motor equaling more weight and larger size. Compact drills don't need more for their purpose.

Comment

That's true - it's probably geared higher / compact. I wish they would list the weight
                  looks like it has a light = cool

Comment

Anyone know when it is going to be released?

Comment

Ditto... When is the compact drill supposed to be released? I was just at Home Depot this morning and I didn't see anything. I guess if its anything like the impact driver, we will be waiting awhile. And I still haven't found any info if the 18v batteries will be compatible with my 24v set tools.

* Update 1 - I spoke with Customer Service today and they said the compact drill should be available this coming week, after Father's Day. Of course, we all know how reliable they are. I asked them about the 18v lithium batteries and they said the batteries could be purchased separately through the Ridgid parts department. Again, I'm not totally convinced by their response, since I see no mention of the batteries on the web site or parts catalog.

* Update 2 - I just got a call back from Customer Service for a message that I left with them about 2 weeks ago, prior to Father's Day. I guess 2 weeks is better than no response at all. Of course, I also sent them several emails for which I received no response back. The person on the message, who sounded like he just woke up, said there is no release date set for the compact lithium drill. He also said it will be delivered to Home Depot stores this coming Christmas. Wow, is this guy joking or what. Why publicize a tool on the website, which won't be available for almost a year. Oh well, maybe someone will be lucky out there and stumble across this at the store. I wonder if this is any representation of the type of support you will get when you have problems with your tools.

And by the way, get a new Product Manager that has a clue about communicating with it's customers. It would be nice to see a Product Manager participate in some of these topics. At least it shows that someone cares. And for any Ridgid folks reading this, please do something with your Customer Service department. To say they are very unfriendly and clueless would be an under-statement. Please get someone in there that knows something about your tools and can at least be nice and friendly on the phone. We at least deserve that for buying your tools. If you want a good example of excellant Customer Service, try calling Makita.
                      Last edited by brianss; 06-22-2007, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Got mine tonight, its well balanced & fits the hand well. Not as small as the makita, I put the battery into ni-cad drills, impact. I just need to charge and use. I heard they are making a universal voltage charger for the batteries, this is much needed as I am running out of space to put them. I also suggested a rolling tool storage unit for the cordless tools, I have too many of these tool bags.

Comment

Finally. There is hope after all. No thanks to the idiot in Customer Service. Maybe I'll take a drive down to HD today. Please post your feedback.

Comment

By the way, I finally picked one up this morning. The Home Depot in my area only had one left. The first thing I tried was putting the 18v battery into the 24v drill and it worked fine. I'm still not sure if the battery is compatible. Most of the box labels say the MaxSelect tools support the 18v lithium, but if you notice the pictures on the box, the 24v and 18v batteries are identical. That is not the case. The 18v lithium is half the size of the 24v battery. I did not weigh the compact drill yet, but like most of the new Ridgid tools, most of the weight is well balanced. Probably not as light as the Makita tools, but pretty close. I have 90 days to return it, so the jury is still out.

Comment

What was the price?Single charger?

Comment

Working...
                              X