X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 14.4 impact driver

I just got one of these today. Brand new, in the box, for $108 along with a charger, battery and hard case. Anyone have any experience with this item? Is the torque (1400 inch pounds) sufficient for most problem screws?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: Ridgid 14.4 impact driver

I've never used that one, but sounds like a great deal. That's more than enough torque. In fact, take it easy or you'll snap screws left and right. I have the Ridgid right-angle impact and it works great, and it has half the torque of the one you have.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
      I just got one of these today. Brand new, in the box, for $108 along with a charger, battery and hard case. Anyone have any experience with this item? Is the torque (1400 inch pounds) sufficient for most problem screws?
      Nice Deal!

The max select impact is rated at 1490in/lbs. by comparison and is very powerful.
      http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

I have the 14.4 V Ridgid Impact Driver and it's a great tool. Just the right size and weight and certainly more than enough driving power. So much so that you'll need to take care to use the right kind of driving bits. I've snapped a couple of driving bits and destroyed a magnetic holder with it. This is one powerful tool!

CWS

Comment

I've got one also and I echo CWS's comments especially the part about the bits. One source for bits that are made especially for impact drivers is McFeely's.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks to all replies. Newman...I also have the 12volt RA impact driver and find it great for hard to reach places. BTW, can anyone clarify the difference between an impact driver and a hamer drill?

Comment

1400 in-lbs is alright. Its actually bordering on more than enough. Impact drivers don't need that much torque to work properly. Most other manufacturers use anywhere from 900 to 1250 in-lbs.

A hammerdrill is a completely different tool used to drill into concrete and masonry. It's basically a conventional drill with a simple mechanism that pulses the chuck back and forth in a hammering motion. It consists of nothing more than two plates that rotate against each other with ridges machined into the two sides that rub. One plate is fixed into the drill and the other turns with the chuck shaft. The ridges make the plates seperate where the two high spots meet and come together where they sort of interlock. The pressure from your hand against the workpiece is what makes the plates compress against each other and pulse or "hammer". Hammerdrills also function as conventional drills so don't be scared away from buying a hammer drill because you will not need to drill into masonry.

Concrete is drilled differently than wood and requires special masonry bits. Unlike wood drilling in which the bit tip slices of the wood, masonry must be hammered. A masonry bit has a reinforced tip with no cutting edge. It hammers into the concrete chipping it away as the flutes extract the chipped off dust. A rotary hammer is also used to drill into concrete with a drastically larger amount of impact energy. It can be better thought of as a chipping hammer that also turns. Most can usually perform both functions as a matter of fact. They use a pneumatic piston to develop a much larger impact enery.

Comment

velosapien... Thanks for the reply. My question was more on the order of since both impact drivers and hammerdrills seem to "pound" as well as rotate during operation, specifically how are they different.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                  velosapien... Thanks for the reply. My question was more on the order of since both impact drivers and hammerdrills seem to "pound" as well as rotate during operation, specifically how are they different.
                  Impacts "pound" in the direction of the rotation, left or right. Tapping the fastener in with torque pulses.

Hammer drills hammer in and out....tapping the tip of the drill against the material....like a jack hammer. This helps break up brittle material like concrete or stone. They do not have torque pulses like impacts do.

Comment

Working...
                  X