Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
new compressor, new hose reel - how to connect the two together? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new compressor, new hose reel - how to connect the two together?

Guys,

I'm sure this is a very silly question. I have a new stationary air compressor and a new hose reel I'm going to mount to the wall above the compressor. I need to run a line of hose from the hose reel to the compressor. However, I'm not finding short lengths of hose for sale anywhere. I don't want to run a 25ft length of hose from the compressor to the hose reel, do I? Can anyone point me to a source on the internet where I can buy a 6ft length of 3/2" hose for this use?

Thanks in advance

Re: new compressor, new hose reel - how to connect the two together?

If it is going to be permanent why not run a hard line. Should be able to find the pipes and fittings at most hardware stores.

Comment

You could couple two of these together. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91295
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Rather than using some crazy way, what you want is to look in your YELLOW PAGES under Rubber Products - Industrial, There are places in most big cities that will custom make up a nice high quality hose to your needs. Tell them the hose size and fittings you need along with the length. They will make it up while you're there at their place. BadgerDave has an idea that would work. What you don't want is to not have a short hose between a pipeline and the tank. The machine vibrates and a hard pipe hookup is bad news. You only need say 2 or 3 feet of hose for this. I recommend using a high quality short 3/8 or 1/2 hose with the needed fittings from your reel to the tank. You'll want one end to have a swivel type fitting so the hose doesn't twist up as you install it. The rubber products place will know what to use. It may not be cheap but a good hose should last you for years. Be sure to have a shut off valve (ball valve) right at the tank and then the hose.

Comment

Local hardware stores sometimes sell compressor tubing by the foot. Both my local ACE Hardware and True Value sell it by the foot and then you can also buy the fittings in the same area. I made one some time back for about $10. I have since changed and now keep a 50' hose coiled around the handle on my compressor which then goes up and connects to my hose reel. That way if I need to move my compressor some long distance, take it somewhere out of the shop or whatever I just use the quick disconnect from the hose reel and then have the 50' not on the reel ready to use. I have never had a problem running any of the tools/attachments on my compressor using either method.
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I wouldn't hook a hardline directly to my compressor. I think it would be too hard to disconnect and certainly the vibration of the compressor may well pose some future problems.

They do make and sell a "pigtail" (not sure if that is the proper term) that you can run between the compressor's outlet connection and either a hardline (ridgid thickwall copper is preferred) system, or a hose. This is basically a very short length of hose with connectors on both ends. I have seen them at Home Depot and they are less than $10, as I recall. In my HD, they are in a bin below the display for the Ridgid portable compressors. I think I will be over there tomorrow and if so, I'll post back with a SKU number.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Better check that hose reel box again, any hose reel I have seen comes with the short hose

Comment

Well, I seemed to notice these short hoses back in the fall and I thought there were three or four offerings... Today however, all I could find is one! My local HD is a never ending work in progress, with things constantly being moved around.

So, I did find a "Lead-in Hose" for $12.97. It's Amflo 30L-30B, SKU # E484-820. It's only about a foot or so long with 1/4 male and female connections on opposite ends. This seems a little expensive IMO.

I also looked at the only reel and hose package that they had and it has a short hose off the back of the reel, but it simply looks like a continuation of the long hose, which is slipped through a bezel of sorts.

You could also check your local farm supply store and of course Sears. I'm sure both have these. I can't put my fingers on the latest Craftsman catalog, but the 2005/6 has a 24" leader hose, catalog number 0916116, for only $8.99 (page 133). It has male and female 1/4-inch swivel connectors on each end.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 06-12-2007, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I think this should help. This is good to use with any impacting air tools, but should work for other uses too.
                  http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._384663_384663

Here the price is low, but not having seen one, the quality may stink.
                  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91295

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                    I wouldn't hook a hardline directly to my compressor. I think it would be too hard to disconnect and certainly the vibration of the compressor may well pose some future problems.

CWS
                    Good point...at very least I'd add a flex coupling to the joint...but that might fatique so a soft hose is probably better.

Comment

Working...
                    X