X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 arbor replacement question

I've been putting it off for a while, but decided to install my replacement arbor this weekend.

I've been following the directions posted on the board, but have run into a snag. The key that fits into the keyway on the arbor will not come out on my original arbor. I've tried several different methods (tapping lightly, using lubricants, etc) but it still won't budge.

Any suggestions on how to remove this stubborn arbor key????

Any and all help is appreciated.

Re: 3650 arbor replacement question

Yes, John, keys can be a bear. You might try using a "C" clamp, the anvil end against the blade-end of the key and the screw end against the end of the arbor. This will tend to tilt the back end of the key as well as drive it toward the open end of the keyway. I am hoping that you took the entire casting off of the table top and you are doing this on a bench. Due to some surgery I did *not* do as I suggested and it was *ell, not to mention that I dinged up the exposed end of the arbor. That really isn't a big deal until it comes time to change it again (like, never) but I can always file down the dings. Do it right.
    Later,
    Chiz
    Later,
    Chiz

Comment

If you have a pair of large diaginal wire cutters you can try bitting into the sides of the key (carefully) and pry up the end of the key. Please see picture for the kind of cutters I have in mind. This messes up the key some but you can file it smooth or just get a new key. What's good is that it's rather hard to mess up the shaft with this method.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm a little confused when you say "open end of the key way". It doesn't appear that there is any room for the key to slide in either direction.

Originally posted by ironhat View Post
        Yes, John, keys can be a bear. You might try using a "C" clamp, the anvil end against the blade-end of the key and the screw end against the end of the arbor. This will tend to tilt the back end of the key as well as drive it toward the open end of the keyway. I am hoping that you took the entire casting off of the table top and you are doing this on a bench. Due to some surgery I did *not* do as I suggested and it was *ell, not to mention that I dinged up the exposed end of the arbor. That really isn't a big deal until it comes time to change it again (like, never) but I can always file down the dings. Do it right.
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

Vise Grips

Comment

Thanks. I tried them, but no luck. In addition, they started to mar the side of the key, so I stopped because I didn't want to damage it and have to get a new one.

Originally posted by Davet View Post
            Vise Grips

Comment

I would clamp the arbor vertically in a vise or work mate etc. and try using a drift punch on the end of the key....

Also have you tried heating the arbor slightly in the area of the key?

Good luck

PS. For anyone interested you can see the key on page 18 of this .pdf
              Last edited by jbergstrom; 06-18-2007, 08:25 PM. Reason: additional info
              Cheers! - Jim
              -------------
              All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

John,
                It sounds like you have a "woodruff" key in the shaft. These can be very difficult to remove when they are stuck. These have a radiused pocket that they fit into. You will need to "pry" it out. You will probably damage the key but you should be able to get a new one at a good hardware store or as a last resort from the manufacturer. To "pry" it out take a good sized flat blade screwdriver and put the blade against the end of the key and tap on the handle end with a hammer. You should see the key either raise up or rotate down into the pocket slightly. This should give you a clue as to where to give it more persuasion.
                If the shaft gets damaged at all you will have difficulty getting the bearings on and/or off. If you do damage the shaft in the area of the key you can polish the nicks and dings off with a small fine file.
                Be patient and be careful.

Hope this helps more than confuses.

Jim

Comment

If you're not able to have a service center do the swap easily, I'd consider going the JB Weld route.

Comment

Sorry, JohnD. I forgot about it being a woodruff key as Jimh42 stated. His directions are right on the mark. Keys are disposable so don't sweat the key's condition. I told you it was *ell one way or the other. It would be worth a 1.5 hour drive to have a service center do this. I wish I had. The weight of this thing is the big factor. In my opinion, HD should have paid for this repair to be done in the owners home. This seriously damaged my opinion of HD.
                    Laer,
                    Chiz
                    Later,
                    Chiz

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to get the key out (finally) by using a combination of your suggestions. Fortunately, the key is not damaged and can be reused.

I am working on the saw intact (I have not disassembled it) based on directions I found on this board. The nearest service center was pretty far away and they told me that it would take them up to 14 days to take care of it for me.

I am now working on tapping the arbor loose using a hammer and a block of wood (so as to not damage the arbor end). I have come to the conclusion that either I am not hitting hard enough, or I need a heavier hammer, since the arbor has yet to budge.

Thanks again for the help.

Originally posted by Jimh42 View Post
                      John,
                      It sounds like you have a "woodruff" key in the shaft. These can be very difficult to remove when they are stuck. These have a radiused pocket that they fit into. You will need to "pry" it out. You will probably damage the key but you should be able to get a new one at a good hardware store or as a last resort from the manufacturer. To "pry" it out take a good sized flat blade screwdriver and put the blade against the end of the key and tap on the handle end with a hammer. You should see the key either raise up or rotate down into the pocket slightly. This should give you a clue as to where to give it more persuasion.
                      If the shaft gets damaged at all you will have difficulty getting the bearings on and/or off. If you do damage the shaft in the area of the key you can polish the nicks and dings off with a small fine file.
                      Be patient and be careful.

Hope this helps more than confuses.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X