X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Dog ProMax Wannabe

As I've mentioned in a previous post, I picked up a BD Promax table to mount on my TS3650. I keep running into roadblocks to installing it. #1 I'm in the middle of a project and don't want to break down the saw before I finish all my cuts, #2 I'm awful slow, and #3 I just got the hole placement template for the table insert in the mail from BD(I bought an open box and it was the only part missing) So I haven't installed it yet, but I figured I'd be able to check to see which of my 2 unused routers I could use with the table.
    Problem #1, the off brand 1/2" 2HP router I have has a button to push before you pull the trigger, and doesnt have a lock on feature, so I have to come up with a way to jerry-rig it in the ON mode. Is that safe? Kinda doesn't seem like it. Problem #2, my 1984 vintage 1/4" 7.5 amp Sears Electronic Variable Speed 25,000 RPM router may be too small to use for jointing the three 1X6X6ft poplar table top boards for my project. It does have the lock on feature, and I have 2 HSS straight bits for it, a 1/4" and a 1/2"(. Should I get carbide tipped bits and not even mess around with the HSS ones if you think ithe Sears will do the job?. Problem #3, neither routers hole pattern matches any of the prerilled insert holes, and I don't want to make the insert look like swiss cheese, with unnecessary holes.
    Any thoughts on this pickel would be appreciated.
    Hector
    (yeah Bob D, I already check the Family Circle forum)

Re: Bench Dog ProMax Wannabe

Without going really slowwww, I doubt the little Sears router is going to have enough oomph for your projected job.

Jerry rigging the other router? If it were me, I wouldn't do it.

No way I'd use the HSS bits either.

Same as in real estate, there are three golden rules in wood working when using high speed power tools...but instead of location, location, location...it's...safety, safety, safety!

I'd say it's time for a new router (like we really need another excuse to buy a new toy).

Comment

Re: Bench Dog ProMax Wannabe

"(yeah Bob D, I already check the Family Circle forum)"

Guess I'm a little thick cause I don't get this Hector.
      Sorry if I offered some form of help in the past that did not give you what you were looking for. Don't worry it won't happen again.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
      X