X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid band saw vibration

I am considering purchasing a band saw. I have heard horror stories of vibration on this saw. I would appreciate any help in making a decision on this type of saw. I do intend on occasion doing resaw work.

Thanks

Re: ridgid band saw vibration

Not meanig to be a wise-acre, X15B, but the search engine is full of info on this. For the most part the vibration has been resolved with a link belt and balancing the wheels, possibly changing to polyurethane tires. Mine is fine with those changes but I can't say which was the most effective since they were done all at one time. Not a bad little saw for the money.

Chiz
    Later,
    Chiz

Comment

I hate to bring this up on a Ridgid sponsored message board, but is the Ridgid bandsaw a good value if the first thing you have to do after purchasing it is to replace the drive belt, balance the wheels and replace the tires? I don't think most folks have to do all that with other brands. I certainly didn't.

Comment

Point well taken, artmann, and that has been the feeling of many on previous posts. At this price point it is generally the way things are between the brands with many opting to spend another couple of hundred onthe Grizzley at $550, or so. I bught mine at a Cummins Tool Sale as a refurb and figured that I had 100$ room for improvement at the price I paid.
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

Personally, on the grizzly I would replace the belt and tires too. The belt and tires run about $40 more or less.
          I'd get the ridgid if you can find a good price on a used one, otherwise get something better. The grizzly is that much more money, but it is a far better saw.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

WOW has Rig-It (ridgid) NOT addressed their bandsaw flaws yet ? Steer clear of it , and save up a little more money for a better one. (even Harbor Freights are better out of the box) It took months of aggrevation to get rid of the vibration problems that made the saw totally unusable. Buy the Delta at Lowes for just a little more. By the time I bought urathane tires and link belt and Birch plywood to stiffen the stand and all my time installing them, 2 sets of replacement wheels, it cost me way more to buy the ridgid bandsaw plus all the asprin.Do a search here and read all the posts then decide if it's worth it to you. If I had to do it over I would not have bought the ridgid and I would have went to Lowes and got myself the Delta.

Comment

This has been a well-hashed subject. Some have gotten some awful out-of-balance wheels on their Ridgid BS's. I guess I got lucky. All I've done so far is replace the standard belt with a link-belt. Mine now runs pretty doggone smooth, I think. At the time I purchased mine, I probably would've made a different choice had I done the proper research. Then again, I may have still gone with the Ridgid BS. It is a good, but difficult, piece of equipment to master. Any band saw is going to take time to learn in order to be able to use it properly and get the results you want. It's just recently I've been able to resaw and get book-matched thin sheets from it. That's mainly due to my skill level, and not the saw, at least IMO.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                <snip>
                It's just recently I've been able to resaw and get book-matched thin sheets from it. That's mainly due to my skill level, and not the saw, at least IMO.

Interestingly enough, it was the other way around for me, Sandy. I didn't have a clue what I was doing and sliced off two, nice wafers the first time out. I guess I'm easily satisfied - I like the saw.

Later,
                Chiz
                Later,
                Chiz

Comment

The only reason I bot the ridgid is I got it on close out for about $150.
                  bandsaws are not hard to master once they're set up per the manual. If you've never done it before it can seem a bit overwhelming, but just go through the setup in the manual step by step and it'll make sense.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Well it's been over a week since I've been in the shop and I decided to spend my first hour installing and tuning my new link belt on the bs. The Ridgid bandsaw is the only bandsaw I've ever owned and I know about all of the vibration problems. My question is - how much vibration is too much? It won't pass the nickel test but in it's defense it is on a herc-u-lift and even though the feet are touching the floor I know it's not like being a stationary unit. I've messed with the motor positioning and loosening the motor mounts seemed to make it worse. Sorry if I'm kicking a dead horse with this one.

Comment

Mine passes the nickel test. I dont know if I am lucky or if mine is a typical ridgid BS.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Relax a bit... how often do you need to balance nickels? If it works well enough to your satisfaction it's all good. It's like car makers - you love one and hate the other and there are about as many on one side of the fence as the other.
                        Later,
                        Chiz

Comment

I balance nickels every day. Isn't that what a BS is for?
                          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                          X