X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18v hammer drill help

After about 2.5 years my drill is either all on or off with no variable speed control. When trigger is squeezed I get nothing until fully depressed and then its full speed. Just started near the end of completing huge deck job for a customer.

Any ideas?

thanks.

Re: Ridgid 18v hammer drill help

The VSR switch has burnt out. You should be able to just order a new one or take it to a service center and get it replaced. This is rather common if you use the variable speed function a lot. The variable speed funtion on drills should be used only when necessary as it will eventually burn out.

Comment

Thank you.

Great forum.

Comment

I'm on my 3rd trigger in 4 years but I am a heavy user. Easy, cheap (especially with lifetime warranty!) to fix.

Comment

Update on drill repair: Took the drill to Mill Supplies in Fort Wayne, IN (an authorized service center). They said the variable speed switch is a very common problem and should have been a recall. They also said it will ruin any batteries used with a defective switch. They took my drill, my 3 batteries and my charger. A couple of days later (in July) I picked up my repaired drill, three new batteries and the same charger (still worked fine). All under the 3 year warranty.

Today I was using the hammer drill function and all of a sudden the drill stopped working. I put in another fully charged battery and it would turn but very, very slowly. I smelled something and took the battery out in put it in another tool and that fully charged battery is now ruined. The first battery that was in the drill when it quit is now ruined as well. They won't charge or hold a charge. Any body have this problem? I'm taking it back to the service center tomorrow. I have only 4 months left on my warranty. I am not a happy camper.

Comment

Oh that doesn't sound good. Looks like the switch might have shorted out and taken the battery with it.

Comment

Working...
            X