New Ridgid Thickness Planer R4330

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Ridgid Thickness Planer R4330

Knowing how terrible HD is when it comes to stocking after market accessories for RIDGID tools, I would be a little more concerned about the availability down the road of knives for the TP1300 than whether or not I could get one on close out.

When I was in the market for a planer, one of the main reasons I didn't go with the RIDGID was that my local HD didn't stock the replacement knives. Even though I liked the RIDGID planer and it was a lot cheaper I went with the DeWalt DW735. I can get replacement knives for my DeWalt at dozens of places.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

the 1300 wasn't even in stock at my HD

how pricey is it to get blades from ridgid?

Comment

Not knowing what this new planer is going to feature (or NOT), I decided to jump on the last Ridgid 1300 model that the local store had in stock. I've been saving for awhile and though I'm not ready with the shop yet, I figured I better go ahead and at least buy the model that has earned a good reputation. The DeWalt is simply more money than I wish to spend at the moment and I have been eyeing this Ridgid model for some time.

Well actually, I had originally been eyeing the older Ryobi model that was replaced last year with a much less worthy model. I guess my concern at this point was that TTI would follow through and do the same kind of feature downgrade with the Ridgid model.

So, at this point I'll keep it sealed up in the box until either the new shop is ready and/or there is some evidence that the new R4330 is a more worthy tool. I've got 90-days (thanks to Ridgid's return policy) to discover the difference, but at least now I won't feel that my procrastination cost me to loose out again.

As far as those blades being available, I'll have to check out my local store (should have done that yesterday). I know they have had them in the past, but perhaps that has changed. If I can find them, I'll post the price and the SKU#.

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 07-03-2007, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Okay, I just returned from the local HD. Sometimes I really wonder about those guys. Maybe it's store policy or just the local orange aprons, but I get this sense of not really being totally "above board" when it comes to sales.

Yesterday when I bought the 1300, I asked about the new model. The orange apron, said he had heard about it but that they didn't have any, probably wouldn't get them for months, and maybe not get them at all because he thought they were getting away from the heavier tools.

That's okay, because I figured I should snatch the 1300 at least untill I could see and/or hear some reports on the newer model. So, a little while ago I run across the river to see what I can find out about the availability of cutting knives and low and behold... there's the brand new Ridgid planer!! Makes me wonder that they probably had it all along and were just waiting to move the older model out the door. In any case, I'll hang on to my new 1300 untill I hear some reports on the new model.

BTW, the new model appears to be very much like the old one, sans the metal stand. Improvements are the 3-cutter head, and a new elevation adjustment that eliminates the need for the head locking mechanism. The dust collection tube appears to be redesigned to take better advantage of the motor's blower. Same 15-amp motor, power switch, and measuring devices. Instead of the intergral handles molded into the top side panels, there appears to be tubular bar grips on top of the machine for lifting.

So, how about them blades? Well, in my local store they have three sets of the two-blade packs for the 1300. (I believe I've seen them there for some time.) The part number is AC8630, SKU # 358-845, and the price is $29.97.

I hope this helps,

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 07-03-2007, 06:39 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Originally posted by rprice54 View Post
            the 1300 wasn't even in stock at my HD

how pricey is it to get blades from ridgid?
            Usually its the availability that's the major problem with getting RIDGID parts, their prices also are high for many accessories and consumable parts such as blades. Too many people have come on here and told of 3,4,6 week waits for parts. Some even longer (the BS riser block extended waits and high price come to mind here).

Las time I was in my local HD, they had two TP1300 blade sets on the display, they were not with the power tools, but in the tool corral on the side wall near the router accessories. Didn't look at the price as I have the DW-735.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Can someone that has seen the new one check the blades to see if they are the same as the old model? It would be nice if they kept them the same, but that's probably asking to much.

Comment

The new one is a three blade head right, and the old one was a two blade design.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I think Rocketman meant are the knives themselves the same, or different. Not just the qty.

Comment

where in the heck is Josh in all this he said he was going to find out some info for us ? ( hello, Hello is any body there.)
                    American by birth. Canadian at heart.

Comment

Hey, Josh is probably home having some quality time with the family. (How are the new babies doing?)

We can't expect the guy to work on holidays can we? I'm sure he's doing his best to get us some information on the new planer. He always comes through! Patience.

CWS
                      Last edited by CWSmith; 07-04-2007, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Well, 4th of July is here, and I went out and got the TP1300LS along with a few other things. I've been looking all over here on the coast of SC, but no joy for the new planer. It was marked down from 379 to 349, and got another 10% down to 315 for military discount. I tried to talk the guy down, looking for a "clearance discount", but he didn't bite...anyway, 315 for a decent planer isn't bad. Plus, they had tons of spare blades on the rack, something the manager said they actually make the effort to keep up on, so I guess I'm good to go. I won't get to play with it for a bit, who knows, maybe I'll be able to swap if the new one comes around and it's worth it.

Heavy son of a gun...ugh

Comment

Sorry Guys.... just got all the info together today.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4330-Th...r/EN/index.htm

There she is.

Comment

so josh- same blades as before, or new blades?

Comment

Ill have to ask on that one too

Comment

And the answer is "It is a new design and requires new blades. The new SKU is AC20501."

Comment

Working...
                                X