X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Ridgid Thickness Planer R4330

Thanks for the info, Josh. I went to Home Depot today to see if they had one yet. To my surprise, they had the placard (of course no large tool displays!) for the new one. The tool department guy had no idea there was a new version. We looked and found that they still had 3 of the 1300's but no 4330. SAME SKU number on both models. Buyer beware of wanting one thing but getting another!
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

bump- anyone had their hands on this thing yet? any recommendations. I'm trying to find the user manual online, no luck yet...

Comment

I spoke w/ the head tool corral guy at my local HD about the R4330. He told me he'd have an answer by the time I came back again (I see him in the mornings about 3-4 times a month). I walked around for awhile and he walked up to me and said he found the the planer in the computer with its own part number, specifically for the R4330. He then told me that he'd check if his store was scheduled to recieve any soon and if not he would order one for me. I left him my card. I only really get that level of assistance from Mike at HD #1020 in Tracy, CA. He's a good guy and very up front about availability when I quiz him. In fact he told me that generally, he'd have to sell the TP1300's he had left before they'd let him have the new ones and hence he'd just special order one for me as soon as some came available.
        Ern

Comment

Still no users of this thing? How about you, RJHALSEY?

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
            Still no users of this thing? How about you, RJHALSEY?
            Mine is still sitting in the box. I have storm damage to my roof so I will be contending with that for the next couple weeks.

Ralph

Comment

A busted up roof is a pretty good reason not to play with your new toy! Good luck with that and keep us posted.

Comment

I went into my HD today. They have now changed the item sticker to reflect the new model number, although I think they left the old info sheet up for the old model - maybe you can get the base and extra knife set with the new model?? But they do not have any of the new units in stock. They have two old units. The Ridgid rep comes in about once a month and does the ordering and HD had no idea when the new units might be ordered, but said the rep would probably order the new model once the old ones were gone. I asked HD to ask the rep about replacement knives for the new model and if they would be as hard to get as the old knives. I'll send an update when I find out.

Comment

Just wanted to bump the thread. Has anyone used one yet? Also, I was eyeing the new Steel City 13" planer, anyone have thoughts on, or experiences with this one?

http://steelcitytoolworks.com/produc...y=9&tool=40200

Ern

Comment

I've had my TP1300 for about four weeks now, as I bought the last one in the store. I received an E-mail last week offering a $50 gift card, so went in and had my receipt exchanged so it would fall within the date requirements. So, bottom line on the TP1300 is now $300.

Of course I'd still like to hear some opinions on the new R4330 and whether or not it really is worth getting, as opposed to the great reputation that the "1300" already has.

The local store has the R4330, and from what I can tell from the box, the improvements are the 3-blade cutter, slightly faster RPM, and a different design on the dust chute. They've also done away with the manual lock on thickness adjustment. (Not sure if that is an improvement or not.)

I bought the "1300" without seeing the 4330, because it was the last one available and I was concerned that TTI might cheapen the new model the way they did with the Ryobi product.

All the reviews I've read on the 1300 were very positive and likewise there's been a lot of positive comments about the smoothness of the cut. So, I figure that ought to be good enough and some light sanding should bring a board up to any level of improvement that 3-blades might offer. Also, my thoughts are that if I'm gonna nick a set of blades, replacing three will be somewhat more expensive than two. (Am I wrong in that assumption?)

I still have 90-days, should someone point out some real positives of the 4330, over the 1300 (which is still sealed in the box, by the way). The only problem is I also need to hold off on the rebate and the LLSA registration until I'm absolutely positive of my choice.

This is my first (and most likely "only") thickness planer that I will ever purchase, so I'd like to get it right. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 07-27-2007, 01:38 AM.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you CW and have been wondering the same things. The other differences between the two planers is that the R4330 does not come with a base or extra set of knives. I wonder what Ridgid will be charging for a set of 3 knives and if they will still be HHS??

BTW How did you get an e-mail ofering a $50 giftcard?? Rather nice.

Cheers DW

Comment

I got the same e-mail from entering the Ridgid Power Trip sweepstakes.

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
                          I called my local HD (east bay area, CA) and asked if the R4330 was in stock. After several minutes of muffled muttering the HD employee proclaimed, "It says we have three." I said, "Great, I'll be down this afternoon." I'm not sure what "It" she was referring to.

I got to HD and met with the tool corral guy and related my conversation with the other employee over the phone. He said, "Oh yeah, I was standing right next to her," and led me past the row of dusty/rusty stationary tool aisle to a stack of three boxes of TP1300L's.

Needless to say I was disappointed yet not surprised. I asked him about the R4330 and he said, "Oh, we haven't gotten those in yet."

Oh well, I can wait a little longer.
                          Ern
                          Really unfortunate
                          have a nice everyday
                          dvd to iphone converter

Comment

So, where can you get the blades for the new planer from and how much do they cost?

Comment

I'm still waiting to find the machine. Beginning to think it's just another urban legend
                              The local home depot "tool expert" still knows nothing about it and is too lazy or not bright enough to find out anything.

Comment

Res057,

My store here in Corning, NY has had it for over a month... so believe me, it's out there. Problem is, the store's are either too ignorant or too lazy to want to know. My experience has been that stores on the west coast usually get the new stuff first, and my small local HD is usually one of the last to get the tool. Perhaps this particular item is an exception

I actually called the Customer Service number in Atlanta to express my concerns as to why the new stuff isn't put on the floor until the last of the older models are completely gone. They just switched me off to the local store manager, who expressed complete and total ignorance of any kind of problem. Stating quite clearly that they had NO IDEA of when new products were available or even there... because IT usually had the same SKU# and was therefore "JUST INVENTORY" to them. (Surely, how could any customer illogically expect anything from Home Depot like knowing what products they sell, Sheeeech??? )

CWS

Comment

Working...
                                X