X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jig Saw Recommendations under $75.00

Thanks, needs are for cutting outlets in plywood, corners for shelves 1" oak, 3/4" flooring.

Re: Jig Saw Recommendations under $75.00

Harbor Freight sells a bunch of cheap tools so I'd look to them.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...OWER+TOOL+SAWS

Comment

I would buy a used one before going to H.F. I bought a nice Bosch for $35 on craigslist. Also check the clearance tool section and sales for the 4th.

Comment

my local lowes has hitachi cj110mv for $79. w/tax a few dollars more than you said you wanted to spend but a lot nicer than anything else you're likely to find at that price point. it came in third in a recent comparison test in one of the tool magazines being beat out by bosch and dewalt but scoring better than milwaukee, ridgid, makita and others.

rb

Comment

Originally posted by rocky brown View Post
          my local lowes has hitachi cj110mv for $79. w/tax a few dollars more than you said you wanted to spend but a lot nicer than anything else you're likely to find at that price point. it came in third in a recent comparison test in one of the tool magazines being beat out by bosch and dewalt but scoring better than milwaukee, ridgid, makita and others.

rb
          Did that magazine rank it third because of its performance or did price point play a big part in its ranking? I'm not saying that it might not be a good jigsaw, I just find it hard to believe that it beat out some of the other brands you mentioned. For that matter, rating the DeWalt jigsaw #2 is another head scratcher.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            Did that magazine rank it third because of its performance or did price point play a big part in its ranking? I'm not saying that it might not be a good jigsaw, I just find it hard to believe that it beat out some of the other brands you mentioned. For that matter, rating the DeWalt jigsaw #2 is another head scratcher.
            i found the magazine. taunton's 2007 tool guide.
            they rated the hitachi best overall value and gave it an "A-" overall. sorry but i mispoke myself: the bosch was rated "A" followed by hitachi, hilti, milwaukee, and festool all rated "A-". dewalt, ridgid, and makita were rated "B+" followed by metabo, freud, pc, and craftsman.

i've been using a ryobi cordless jigsaw and really don't like it but since i don't use it very often i can't bring myself to spend the money on the bosch but i'm tempted by the hitachi...

rb

Comment

You're not likely to get into one of the top saws from Bosch, Ridgid, PC or Dewalt, but you might find a Freud on sale.

Comment

Just stay far away from the basic DeWalt...garbage! Since I have a good few DeWalt power tools I purchased the jigsaw. To my surprise the saw is as accurate as a cheapo B&D or close.

Solid smooth motor,the saw is solid but the design flaws of the base and blade moving right relegate this saw to the discount bin.

I purchased the Ridgid ( made in Germany! ) while costing more it blows the DeWalt away in accuracy and quality.

The best jigsaws are made by Bosch,have one also and it is a smooth as silk tool for thos who demand the best. There are are other brands who are made by Bosch that cost more and offer no gains in quality.

Comment

Just curious to what Dewalt we are talking about? I have the DW331 which is their high end model and it is easily right there with the best Bosch. I have the 1587 and have tried the 1590 and still prefer the Dewalt so oh well. Everybody has got their opinions.

Comment

I am talking about the DW317K...and no this saw is not like the many quality power tools I have from DeWalt. Compared to the Ridgid or Bosch it is a POS.

Not an opinion here,the blade wanders,this would pass on a cheapo B&D sold for $29 but not on a DeWalt.The base is poorly designed also.

The Bosch is Swiss made and the feel,precision cutting,blade change system,quiet operation and smooth operation makes all jigsaws besides a Festool seem second rate.

Comment

OK yes, the 317 is a piece of junk. Its really cheaply designed all around. The base is stamped so I wouldn't expect any accuracy from it. The 331 is a whole other matter. I got one and my Bosch is pretty much up for sale. It cuts perfectly straight, not the slightest blade wander and what really made all the difference for me is it virtually zero vibration. That makes cutting accurately a whole lot easier. The Bosch saws I find to rattle a bit too much even though I prefer their handle placement.

Comment

Working...
                      X