Power Tool Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Tool Kit

I am young and making a porch area for my parents( I already found blueprints) Un fortunately my dad does not own to man tools other than basic hammer and screwdrivers. I need a package for under $150 that includes
    -power drill
    -circular saw
    -reciprocating saw
    and as much else as possible

Thank you for your help

Re: Power Tool Kit

For that price pretty much the only thing you'll be able to get that inculdes all those tools is a Ryobi kit. They should do a pretty good job for light work and home owner use as long as you don't push them too hard. Don't expect very good runtime either. Unless you get lucky and run into one of those Ridgid deals clearing out some of the 18v kits.

Your best bet might be to get corded tools in this case. I'm not sure you can get all of them for that little but you can get cheap drills and circular saws for maybe $60 or $70 each that are perfectly capable of doing what you want with plenty of power.
    Last edited by Velosapien; 06-28-2007, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I am oping to get a cordless drill but I can have a cord on saws. If anyone else has any suggestions please help.

Comment

Here are a few ideas for you to consider;

Circular Saw

Drill

Reciprocating Saw

These aren't by any stretch contractor grade tools but for small projects and occasional use they'll do just fine. The best part is that you can get all three and still be 83ยข under budget.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I think Dave made some good selections working within the price parameters given. Stay with a corded circular saw, they draw the life out of batteries too fast and will be disappointing. A cordless drill/driver can be handy when working in the air from ladders and what have you. At this stage of building a tool collection it is the only toll of the three that I would consider going cordless but I still think you are better off sticking with all corded tools for now.

You might also consider picking up some used corded tools (I wouldn't buy a used cordless tool) if you can find some good deals on the better brand names like Milwaukee or the older Black & Decker Industrial or Commercial line to name a few. A Milwaukee 1/2" VSR corded drill goes for about $140 in my neck of the woods now, 20 years ago that same drill was $120, the popularity of cordless tools has help to keep the price of corded tools low. That can mean a good value for you.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 06-28-2007, 08:40 PM.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Thanks for advice. Any stores that sell used equitment. I know ebay and amazon but I am wondering what store might carry them

Comment

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100070895

anyone ever used these tools?Good Quality?
              I will be able to afford the extra money(i can wash a couple cars)

Comment

I buy some tools off Craigslist, or I buy gift cards at reduced prices and go buy what I need new at a savings. My best deal was a $700 gift card which I bought for $450. I ended up with a lot of new tools at a great savings.

Comment

Originally posted by youngcarpenter View Post
                  http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100070895

anyone ever used these tools?Good Quality?
                  I will be able to afford the extra money(i can wash a couple cars)
                  This set appears to meet your wish list but again I would stay away from a cordless circular saw. This one with a 5-1/2" blade has reduced capacity over a 7-1/2" corded saw. It might manage cutting 2x stock in a square cut but bevels will be out for sure which is a negative.

The vacuum is not something I would even count when evaluating a kit such as this. The light can be handy if your work leads you into dark places at times.

If for some reason you absolutely GOTTA have everything cordless this is probably not too bad of a kit but it is not going to hold up to everyday hard use like the RIDGID or other better grade tools will. You CAN buy Ryobi cordless tools a-la-carte, so you don't necessarily have to buy the kit. Think about a corded circ saw and maybe picking up a drill. I think Ryobi has a drill with light starter set for under $100 that comes with a charger and a pair of batteries.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

The Ryobi is a decent medium duty tool for the money, and add-ons are inexpensive. I have used them on a few jobs with good results. Watch the 4th of July for special promos/deals. If you plan to continue building, research and buy the best tools you can afford.

Comment

Saw- $50
                      http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=4114

Drill- $60
                      http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125
                      ---can use battery from flashliht for drill)

Reciprocating Saw- $60- (do they come cheaper)
                      http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100043752

Total- $170- can get coupon for discount

Comment

WE have a place here in Rockford Illinois called Re-Tool. All they sell are used tools. Also, I've found some pretty good deals at Pawn Shops.
                        Please check out my web page
                        www.woodandwax.net

Comment

That's a good selection of Ryobi tools. We started out with Craftsman and Ryobi and I actually preferred the Ryobi. Good value but not tools to own for a lifetime. If you have several HDs in your area, see if they have any Ridgid combo kits on clearance. I got the 9212 and 9213 kits for $160 and $108, respectively. Those are 4 piece 18 volt Ni CAd combo kits with available lifetime waranties. And I know the Zarega Ave HD in the Bronx, NYC, has a load of 2piece combo kits (dirll, saw, 2 batteries, charger and case) clearance priced at $108 sitting in the Tool area overheads just gathering dust. I believe the models are R920, R9201 and R9202. If you call there, ask for a visual on the availability. When I had them verify the prices, the inventory system said there were none in stock, even though I was looking right at them. Good luck.
                          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I got the Ryobi renovator plus kit a long while back and have used the primary tools extensively through two home renovations. I'm totally satisfied for the money I spent. None of them have died and, in fact, I've acquired about a dozen other of the One+ tools. It's a great set with a LOT of specialized and handy tools that you can acquire over time. I have 5 batteries and never find myself with downtime due to power needs.

Now, do I wish I could have / would have spent the money on a really nice Dewalt or Ridgid set..... No! I took the money and spent it on other tools. :-)

One thought: I would really evaluate if you need a reciprocating saw to build a deck / porch. You would certainly need one to take down and demolish a porch... But not necessarily to build one.

If you're just looking at the tools *necessary* to build this deck, I'd suggest the following:
                            - Good drill. A small Ryobi kit would suffice for this.
                            - Inexpensive 10" miter saw. The cheapest one HD stocks is $149. But if you poke around, alot of times they have reconditioned ones in the store for less. E.g. Ridgid 10" CMS for $129. This would make your endeavor much easier.

With a circular saw you probably need to buy or build sawhorses or have a workbench on hand. You can put a miter saw on the ground with some stacked cutoffs for end supports, and you're all set. Also, you can turn around at the end of your project and sell the miter saw for about 60-75% of what you paid and get your money back.

What else do you need?? Pencil, tape measure, screws.

Anyway, if you really want to go the cordless hand tool route. Search for "P822" on the HD site. That Ryobi starter kit plus is about the best deal going. The drill is excellent, IMHO. And the circular saw is more than capable of cutting deck boards... the 4 x 4's will require two cuts, however.

Good luck!

Comment

Just a quick update... I was in the HD mentioned in my previous post and those Ridgid combo kits were still there. Three types of two piece combos consisting of an 18 volt Ni Cad hammer drill and jig saw/circular saw/reciprocating saw, along with a charger, 2 batteries and a case. These are the kits that originally retailed for $250 and were $139 specials at Christmas. At $108 today, they are a good value.
                              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X