X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem/question

I just bought a new compound sliding miter saw (12 blade ,laser) my question is this : can anyone tell me is there a way to catch the sawdust ,because as far as I can see the way the saw was made the saw dust bag doesn't do a dam thing ,I think from the bottom where the slides are you should be able to some how hook up some way for a vacum nosle ,and suggestions???

Re: problem/question

Check Rockler or Woodcraft or Amazon. There are dust collector accessories that can be used to grab a lot of the sawdust. You'll need to figure out a way to position them behind the saw, not too difficult if the saw is stationary most fo the time but if you use it out on the job you'd need some sort of stand I would think.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Does your SCMS have a vacuum attachment on the rear for the blade assembly? I have the Bosch SCMS and it has such an attachment. If I hook up a shop-vac I find I get about 80% effective dust collection. I'm assuming with a 12" SCMS you have either the DeWalt, Ridgid, or Bosch... and I think they all have some sort of shop-vac connector, don't they? Usually it attaches instead of the bag, but to the same connector.

Comment

The place where the bag attachemtn goes also functions as a vacuum port. If its the Ridgid saw a 2 1/2" vac hose will fit right in and will improve the dust collection dramatically.

Comment

When compared to table saws, planers, jointers and routers, the miter saw is the worst of the bunch as far as dust collection is concerned. Even hooked up to a good shop vac or dust collector you'll probably only be able to collect about 70-75% of the created saw dust. A dust shroud will increase that number somewhat although to use one properly your saw will pretty much have to be permanently mounted to some type of a miter saw station.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I just finished a version of this catcher for my 10" mitersaw. I sized it to fit a 39 gallon trash bag. I have a home made saw stand and attached it to the rear of the stand with thumbscrews and wood inserts at the 20 degree angle. The Article in Wood will give you some ideas.

It is not perfect but it captures most of the sawdust at minimum cost.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...l&catref=wd103

Comment

Working...
            X