X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24V Hammerdrill Sticky Situation?

Was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem...I have the 24V hammerdrill, and I have noticed that after I use the hammer function, the selector ring seems to get stuck. I usually have to wrestle with it to get the ring to rotate back to drill or drive mode. Sometimes I even have to loosen the chuck to get the ring to move??? (one shouldn't affect the other) Anyway, just curious...let me know.
    Nick

Re: 24V Hammerdrill Sticky Situation?

I don't have that drill but I've had similar issues on pretty much every hammerdrill I've ever used.

Comment

I have not had that problem with my 24v Ridgid but have had it on other brands.

Comment

Yeah I have had the sticking hammerdrill issue. It more or less has to do with the adjustable chuck funtion being compressed by the hammerdrill feature. I have found this problem with other brands as well(dewalt). The easiest solution I have found is to switch the drill when it is running. Particularly when you are actually hammering. I know this is cumbersome but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Home Improvement Solution View Post
          Was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem...I have the 24V hammerdrill, and I have noticed that after I use the hammer function, the selector ring seems to get stuck. I usually have to wrestle with it to get the ring to rotate back to drill or drive mode. Sometimes I even have to loosen the chuck to get the ring to move??? (one shouldn't affect the other) Anyway, just curious...let me know.
          Nick
          I have had it happen as well. I usually "pull" the chuck out because it gets caught(sometimes).
          Last edited by onlycordless; 07-15-2007, 10:36 PM.
          http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

So, I'm not alone on this? Thats good to know! I guess it is more of an annoyance than anything. I just wanted to make sure that my drill was not defective.

Comment

This problem is more of a result of the basic design of the hammer system rather than anything to do with any brand.

Comment

Figured I'd reawaken this thread to address my question...

I just bought the 24 Volt Lithium-Ion 3 Piece Combo Kit the other weekend (Ridgid Model # R931).

Now, I wanted this kit mainly for the 24 volt batteries and charger, to add into and supplement my mix of current MaxSelect tools. I will be selling off the reciprocating saw and the flashlight. I will be keeping the 24 volt hammerdrill, and herein lies my question.

I have never owned a hammerdrill. And this drill is a wonderfully heavy brute. It will be a nice tool to supplement my usage needs that my 18 volt compact lithium ion drill is just not quite able to handle. So, I have just gone about unpacking and charging up the batteries for my new toy. I decided to test this out, and I notice no really noticable "hammer" action to the chuck when using either the drill, drive, or hammer selections. I held my hand to the end of the chuck, and I don't really feel or hear anything special to make me think of a "hammer" action going on. I do notice a slightly more vibration feel to the drill compared to my 18 volt compact drill, but I'm not quite sure if this is due to the extra bulk/size/strength/power of this drill, or is the hammer aspect.

Now, like I said before, I have never owned a hammerdrill, so I don't know if this is normal or not. But I'm an impact driver fan, and figured that like an impact, there would be some noticable noise or feel over a regular drill to this.

Any info would help. Thanks.

Comment

The hammer function only comes into play when you put pressure against the chuck while drilling. The hammer mode is basically a simple a pair of opposing ratchet rings. One is fixed on the drill side of the spindle, the other rotates with the chuck. When you put pressure on the bit the spindle slides back so they come into contact and start to pulse or "hammer" very fast. Disabling the hammer function locks the chuck spindle extended so the plates can't come into contact.

Usually the problem originally described in this thread happens when the spindle sort of gets stuck either fully extended or compressed and the selector ring cant slide into place.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                    The hammer function only comes into play when you put pressure against the chuck while drilling.
                    That's correct, try it and you will "feel" the hammering.

Comment

Working...
                    X