Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

stain on my brand new TS3650 table saw!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stain on my brand new TS3650 table saw!!!

Hi. I just finally got my TS3650 all set up and operational. I cleaned and waxed the surface of the saw table as instructed in the manual.

I have a worker helping me set up my home shop/studio and he left a glass of water on the cast iron saw table, unkown to me. I went in the shop today and saw a round rust stain on my table. I immediately wiped it off, but there is still a grey colored circle stain on the surface. I am mortified...
    Is there anything I can do to get it off?

Thanks,

Steven

Re: stain on my brand new TS3650 table saw!!!

The best thing to do is rip their head off and use their scalp to rub the rust stain out.

No, don't do that. Seriously, some scotchbrite and WD-40 will probably get it out, then treat the area again at least twice. Rub with the finishing pattern of the CI top to help hide the marks from the scotchbrite.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob, I like your first idea. You know, just in case your second idea doesn't work. Don't give him time to get away.
      No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I tried the Scotchbrite & WD40... three times. It did get the grey color of the stain to go away, but there is still a circle there, though faint and silver now, like the rest of the ci top color. I don't think it's going to go away completely. Darn...

Thanks again,

Steven

Comment

A little 150-200 grit sandpaper should do. You can go to 400-600 after if you like.

Comment

try some good old hoppes #9 available at any gun shop or sporting goods store....will eat thru any rust if you let it sit a few hours....then wipe off.
            the smell also makes my female cat go crazy.
            good luck
            poldi

Comment

You should also consider using other rust prevention products before waxing, such as Boeshield T-9.

Comment

Apparently there is something very attractive about that flat cast iron acreage..........at least to the un-knowing masses. Though I'm not sure why? Doesn't everyone know that raw iron rusts? and that cold drinks sweat?

It's flat and convenient and nothing else is sitting there.........but that is the point! Nothing is supposed to sit there. It happens everywhere though. There are or have been rings on more than a few of the machines in the shop where I work...and this a cabinet shop. These are supposed to be professionals and most of them know better, but there are always "support" personel, truck drivers, loaders, etc. around the shop that don't.

Jointer beds, planer beds, and table saws....all marked

Comment

Working...
                X