Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milwaukee 18v or ridgid 24v?

Hi guys-

Which 4 piece combo would you go with? The Milwaukee 18v or the Ridgid 24v?

Re: milwaukee 18v or ridgid 24v?

OK.....I'll kick something off. I have no experiance with the Milwaukee set so can't comment on it.
    I have had the 24V LI set for seven months and have not used it very much. Based on limited experiance the recip saw has great power and battery life. I used it to trim trees on the property up to 4" in diameter. Ate em up. The one downside was the upper blade guide was pretty much destroyed by the bigger Milwaukee blades I used. Can't see yet if it hurts the performance.

Hammer drill is a big, heavy,powerful beast. Balance is pretty good so it doesn't seem to clumsy. It's big though especially now that I have the Ridgid 18V LI that is truely light and nimble. Haven't checked so I don't know how the Ridgid 18V LI compares with the Milwaukee 18V LI.

Limited experiance with the circular saw. Rough cut some large boards and test ripped a few 2x4. Seems very powerfull and like the recip has big battery storage.

My experiance and some of the tests I've read about performances would indicate the 24V LI stuff is very powerful which favors the Ridgid recip and circular saw and the 18V LI drill is more nimble which favors the Milwaukee.

Hope this helps...Ray

Comment

I have not seen very many ridgid tools in for repair in our shop,what i have seen has been the corded tools.my good friend owns a hardware store and is a warranty center for the ridgid ,ryobi,cordless stuff.he does not have much to say about them.now i have repaired the v-28 & v-18 milw.since we are a warranty center for them.now the most common problem i have seen with the milw. is the motor leads that are soldered to the motor get so hot that they melt the solder and loose connection.the milw.tool rep. was in our shop for the first time since the buy out by tti,and she said they are addressing this problem.now far as the quality of the milw.it still seems to be built very well and comes with a good warranty.for example,if your motor burns up i will warranty it up to 3 years if the tool does not appear to be abused,the battery is warrantied for 2 years.I asked the rep as far as which tool is considered top of the line,among the three(ryobi,ridgid,or milw.)and her anser .of course was "" TTI paid alot of money for milwaukee and they intend to keep milw a high quality built tool. she said milw. was #1 and ridgid middle of the row and ryobi home owners choice.now for what i have seen and how the ridgid parts are for the cordless stuff and how it is put together I still prefur the milw, over the ridgid.
      A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Thanks for the great posts guys. I appreciate it. I'm still on the fence for this one. If I were considering the v28 Milwaukee and the 24v Ridgid, I know hands down it would be the Milwaukee. There's lots of appeal to both sets for me right now.

Milwaukee Pros:
        Better grip on the front of the sawzall
        Blade brake on circ saw

Ridgid Pros:
        24v
        Lifetime service agreement
        max select compatibility

Comment

Heres my two cents worth......
          I have owned the Ridgid 24V four piece combo for a few months now. I am a general contractor so, I USE MY TOOLS. I mean....I REALLY USE THEM. I have to say that hands down, this Ridgid set has been the best cordless tool set that I have owned to date. (and I have owned several) I have owned Dewalt, Skill, Makita and the 19.2V Craftsman combo set. Hands down, the Ridgid combo blows them away! I have not owned a Milwaukee set so I really can't provide a fair comparison. The run time on the 24V batteries is nothing short of amazing! I will never go back to NiMh or NiCad...they simply don't perform as well as Lithium Ion. If you need specific details about each tool, please, let me know and I will be glad to answer any questions. You can also search my previous posts to see what I have said about them. I have had a few small issues here and there, but the PROs FAR OUTWEIGH THE CONS! Overall, I am VERY pleased with this set. In fact, I am also going to purchase the 24V cordless planer and jigsaw. I hope this helps, and I didn't mean to ramble. GOOD LUCK!
          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Home Improvement Solution View Post
            Heres my two cents worth......
            I have owned the Ridgid 24V four piece combo for a few months now. I am a general contractor so, I USE MY TOOLS. I mean....I REALLY USE THEM. I have to say that hands down, this Ridgid set has been the best cordless tool set that I have owned to date. (and I have owned several) I have owned Dewalt, Skill, Makita and the 19.2V Craftsman combo set. Hands down, the Ridgid combo blows them away! I have not owned a Milwaukee set so I really can't provide a fair comparison. The run time on the 24V batteries is nothing short of amazing! I will never go back to NiMh or NiCad...they simply don't perform as well as Lithium Ion. If you need specific details about each tool, please, let me know and I will be glad to answer any questions. You can also search my previous posts to see what I have said about them. I have had a few small issues here and there, but the PROs FAR OUTWEIGH THE CONS! Overall, I am VERY pleased with this set. In fact, I am also going to purchase the 24V cordless planer and jigsaw. I hope this helps, and I didn't mean to ramble. GOOD LUCK!
            Nick

Hoe does it compare to the 36V Dewalt products

Comment

Originally posted by certifiedfunds View Post

please stay away from the dewalt 36v stuff, atleast for now. i have heard that now they are designing 24-28volt tools due to the lack of sales in the 36 volt line up. so you might be stuck with obsolete tools very quickly if that is there route.

as with any post please reserch this answer that i just gave you as i am not 100% sure how much truth is really there i am just relaying what i have heard.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I have not owned the Dewalt 36V set. I had the older 18V set and it did perform fairly well...but for the money, the Ridgid set was a far better value and has outperformed the Dewalt stuff. In fairness, the Dewalt set was the older Ni-Cad stuff, so you can't really make the comparison based on that. I will say that the transmission went out on my Dewalt drill sooner than what i felt was reasonable. The Ridgid set just feels more solid and performs more like a corded tool. I don't have second thoughts when I grab one of my Ridgid tools and climb into an attic or under a crawlspace...I KNOW it will work and the battery will have plenty of juice to do whatever I ask it to do. I can't say that about some of the other brands I have owned. I am in no way an expert on power tools, but I have owned enough of them to know that the 24V Ridgid stuff takes things to another level...much better probably than what you are used to. Just my opinion.
                Nick

Comment

We have had a lot of discussions on the subject of the 36v stuff so if you do a search it should bring up a lot of very useful info. Like I've said in those other discussions, I think the 36v tools are the ultimate in cordless if you want something that will genuinly rival that of corded performance. There have been no real complaints that I'm aware of with the batteries. They just work. They are easily available, both the tools and batteries, which is a major drawback to the ridgid batteries. They are hard, if not almost impossible to get outside of kits. There have been no major problems reported with the tools that I'm aware of either other than a defective switch in the first run reciprocating saws. The tools are actually more compact than people realize. Most of them kept the same shape and size as the 18v tools. The reciprocating saw is even smaller and weighs the same as Makita's LXT saw just to give you an idea.

The 36v line is in no danger of being discontinued as for some reason many people seem to think. New 36v tools have been released up to quite recently. Even the old 24v NiCD is not being discontinued yet so 36v is not going away. It's their flagship line. The new 18v lithium ion stuff is just a matter of updating the tools to match the competition and the 28v is just a new middle step complimenting the 36v line much the same as what the 14.4v is to the 18v. That and they want to obviously want to offer a direct competitor to the V28.

Comment

They are not discontinuing the 36V line. For example, it's fully included in their new "Nano" advertising. If they were scrapping it, it would have been shuffled into the back corner by now.

Comment

Well I did a search and can't find anything on them. It looks like it would be the better route to go.

Comment

Working...
                      X