X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw Guns

I'm going to be building a shed in the fall and have been eyeing screw guns for a while now, why not? In my efforts I've come up with one question. Ridgid, Dewalt, Milwaukee all have one within my range of $84 - $89. The Ridgid and Milwaukee ones are considered drywall screwdrivers, whereas the Dewalt is considered to be a "deck screwdriver." They all seem to be the same and look similar. The Milwaukee and Ridgid are both 6.5 amp and have a max RPM of 4000. The Dewalt is a 6.2 amp and has a max RPM of 2500. With that said, what delineates a "Deck" vs "Drywall" screwdriver? Or, all they all the same and it's just a preference in the manufacturers choice in the naming? Personally, I'm leaning towards the Ridgid; LSA and reputation keep me coming back. Plus it is a little cheaper and I love the orange. I've included a comparison link of the three for FYI purposes. Thanks.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125
    Last edited by 9.5 fingers to go; 07-12-2007, 11:01 PM. Reason: verbage
    No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Re: Screw Guns

I know they work great for drywall screws but 100 in lb is not enough to drive screws required for construction IMO, although I must admit I have never tried it. I use my cordless impacts for all screws other than drywall.

Comment

I personally own Dewalt and continue to buy them, but only because of the number of batteries I have for the dewalt tools. If I could afford to switch all my cordless tools over to RIDGID, I would. As I wear out my existing tools, I will most likely replace them with RIDGID. Most of buying the right tool is "feel", if it feels good in your hand then its probably the right one (obviously, brand does have some impact on the decision, but many times it boils down feel and price). RIDGID tools seem to be reasonably priced and replacement batteries are more affordable than most other manufacturers.

Frank

Comment

The ones that run at 4000 rpm and up are considered drywall only screw drivers. The deck/drywall models typically run at a slower 2500 rpm to deliver more torque. The 4000 rpm ones have very little torque and are unsuitable for decking. Also, for installing drywall on steel studs it's generally recommended to use a gun with a 2500rpm max. I think the deck models are more versatile and they will do drywall just as well as the faster models. If you were a professional drywaller installing several thousand screws every single day then the faster models would make sense.

Comment

I,like the dewalt over all the screww guns i have worked on.they run very well and there clutching system is nice and smooth.they make a very good gun.
          A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Dewalt or Milwaukee would be my top picks in this category.

Comment

Just to throw in a curveball, how about a Senco with the strip feed. I help a buddy build a deck. He had one(make sure it will handle the longer screws) and after going though 3 buckets of screws it sure saved time.

Comment

Working...
              X