X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt 735 planer

Does this planer have a DC option for a 2 1/2" shop vac?

Re: Dewalt 735 planer

F P

Keep after me on this. I'm not far from the Dewalt headquarters and have a special number for tech support. I'll try to get some info soon and post it. If I forget, please bug me with a PM or such.

Comment

Yes it does. It's also got a blower to assist with dust extraction which is supposed to be powerful enough to push out dust even without a vac attached to the hose.

Comment

Here is a nice review of the planer. It does have a 4" hose connection and looking it it, I think you can also connect it to a 2-1/2" hose. Right now the Dewalt web site is down. I'll check it later and also will check with tech support.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/dw735rvu.html

Comment

It should also include the 2.5" adapter. I have the 734 and it has the 4" port with 2.5" adapter.

Comment

Update: It's really made for use with a 4 inch hose and a dust collector. A planer will fill up a shop vac real fast. A review on Amazon said that you need to remove the end fitting in order to use it with a 2-1/2" hose and that it puts out too many chips real fast. The bottom line is to either let it make a mess on the floor or you need a large capacity dust-dirt collector.

Comment

Another solution would be the DeWalt DW7353 Chip Collection accessory. It fits over a standard sized trash can. With the powerful blower motor that the 735 has, it really isn't necessary to use a DC if you don't have one.

I have one of these hooked up to my 735 and it does an adequate job. One downside to the chip collector is that although it does a very good job of containing the chips it's not very good at containing the fine sawdust.

As Woussko stated a shop vac is not the way to go for dust collection on a planer. On the other hand, the DeWalt Chip Collector is a fairly inexpensive fix when compared to the cost of a full fledged dust collector.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

On my 734, an average of four 1/16" passes on an agerage 6" wide 8' long board will fill up my 9gal shop vac. I just leave a trash can right next to the vac to quickly dump out the vac contents. Fortunately planer shavings are large and easy to dump, not much fine dust kickup.

Comment

thanks for all the info!

Comment

I have the 735. The chip extraction by the tool is better than most I think and as BadgerDave said the accessory with a trash can works just fine. When I got my 735 I also got the stand. Placing a trash can next to the planer worked until you want to move it, then you are disconnecting the hose and/or trying to move two large items at once.

I built a box that just fits inside the stand legs. I took the shelf and moved it as low as it would go for the box to sit on. I made the top of my box so it would hold a furnace filter. I don't remember the size offhand, the box was sized to accept the largest filter that would fit between the legs of the stand. I put three blast gates on the box. One near the bottom on the left side (to the left when standing in front to feed lumber in the planer). On the side of the box under the outfeed table I put the other two blast gates (these are the $5 plastic gates from Woodcraft), one is connected to the planer with a 4" hose, the other goes to my jointer with another 4" hose. The blast gates are positioned such that the gates butt up to each other. When one gate is open the other is closed. It only takes one motion to open one and close the other. I thought this would be handy since you are moving from one tool to the other when squaring up your stock.

Why the filter in the top? It lets me take my planer on the road where no DC has gone before (sorry Capt. Kirk). I align the gates and the DW-735's built in chip extractor fan pushes everything into the box has a capacity about the same as a 20 Gal. trash can. So if I want to use the planer elsewhere there is very little mess.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      Update: It's really made for use with a 4 inch hose and a dust collector. A planer will fill up a shop vac real fast. A review on Amazon said that you need to remove the end fitting in order to use it with a 2-1/2" hose and that it puts out too many chips real fast. The bottom line is to either let it make a mess on the floor or you need a large capacity dust-dirt collector.
                      It's possible to build a separator for a shop vac to expand the chip collection capacity. It's still not as desirable as a DC but it's an improvement to the SV.

Comment

Re: Dewalt 735 planer/Tables

My local Lowes has the aluminum fold down tables at a deep close out discount. If you have this machine you might want to check your local store.

Comment

Working...
                        X