X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for 15 gauge nailer.......

I need a 15 gauge nailer and know nothing about them. Any help on the good, the bad and the ugly of 15 gauge nailers will be appreciated. Thanks.....

Re: Help for 15 gauge nailer.......

I have the Hitachi- Great tool. I imagine Porter cable, bostich, or Senco would all provide good service. Check toolsofthetrade.com, amazon and e-pinions for tool reviews...

Comment

Don't know that much about nailers either but when it comes to 15g ones it seems every manufacturer just makes the one model and they all seem to be pretty much the same thing. Looks like there's really nothing special to them.

Comment

The difference is in the quality of the tool, and its durability.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbajames View Post
          I have the Hitachi- Great tool. I imagine Porter cable, bostich, or Senco would all provide good service. Check toolsofthetrade.com, amazon and e-pinions for tool reviews...
          Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at all the usual suspects at HD and Lowes. Wanted to find a reason to put the Rigid in first place as I have been buying alot of them lately. Couldn't get by the plastic case that felt chintsy and the trigger that felt like it would brake the first time out. Checked out Bostich, DeWalt, Porter cable, Hitachi and a couple of others. Liked the old style Hitachi alot as I didn't like the (on acid) new style case. Turns out Lowes had the new style on sale for $149.00 which made me all of a sudden like it alot.

Comment

The difference is in the quality of the tool, and its durability.
            All of the usual suspects seem to build more than acceptable levels of quality from the ones I've seen.

Comment

Sorry, but I would have to disagree there. A hitachi or bostich is a better gun than a craftsman or campbell hausfeld. Dewalt has a bad rep. here, and I would gamble that ridgid is also less favored amoungst tradespeople.

There are differences in features, cases, colors, materials, ect.

Much like all manufacturers make recip. saws...A Milwaukee is better than a Dewalt, even though they may both get the job done.

Comment

Sorry, but I would have to disagree there. A hitachi or bostich is a better gun than a craftsman or campbell hausfeld. Dewalt has a bad rep. here, and I would gamble that ridgid is also less favored amoungst tradespeople.

There are differences in features, cases, colors, materials, ect.

Much like all manufacturers make recip. saws...A Milwaukee is better than a Dewalt, even though they may both get the job done.
                So how did you make a subjective comparison? Did you set up a matrix of all the features and benefits of the various brands? I started out with that kind of plan but eventaully my choice came down to a few impressions garnered while looking at and hefting the various brands at HD and Lowes. As previously stated I wanted to add the Ridgid nailer to my growing list of Ridgid tools, however I couldn't get past the flimsy feeling plastic body and a trigger that felt like it would break the first time I used it. In comparison the Hitachi body is magnesium(I believe) which felt much more substantial. The impression of how the various adjustment mechanisms worked felt good. I have no idea of a the differences of the internal feed and driving mechanisms. We have a job strting next week where the nailer will get a pretty good workout and if it works OK fine and if not I will return it to Lowe's under the 90 return policy.

Comment

I do my research first by checking here, on amazon and e-pinions, toolseeker, tools of the trade, breaktime forums from fine home building.
                  then I go to the stores and check how they feel in person.

Comment

I'm very pleased with the Porter Cable line of nailers...

I have several of them and they are great.

Comment

Roadrashray,

I have the Ridgid straight finish nailer and their brad nailer. While I can't compare or offer opinion on the various other brands and models, I can tell you that the nailer's body is not "plastic"... it is magnesium. Feature-wise, I've been been happy with both these tools.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                        Roadrashray,

I have the Ridgid straight finish nailer and their brad nailer. While I can't compare or offer opinion on the various other brands and models, I can tell you that the nailer's body is not "plastic"... it is magnesium. Feature-wise, I've been been happy with both these tools.

CWS
                        CW-your post sent me back to the product info esction of this site. Funny, non of the finish nailers looked like what my nephew and I fondled at Home Depot. While I am certainly capable of a senior moment, I asked my nephew and he remembered the Ridgid case as being plastic and vented not at all like what is shown on this site. I'll be in to HD in teh next few days and will check out the mystery and report back.
                        Thanks..Ray

Comment

I took a close look at the Ridgid nailers yesterday and they are definately magnesium. You can see towards the bottom of the handle they have Mg engraved into them promoting the fact. They paint makes them looks sort of plastic.

Comment

Ray,

As you say, the cases are definitely plastic, but the tool itself is magnesium. I didn't get a case with my nailer and stapler because they were part of a combo, and came with a bag instead.

However, I do have a couple of cases for some of my other tools and I really like them. They're some kind of blow-moulded plastic with metal closures. IMO, they're well designed and have held up quite well...but I confess that I'm not taking them to a jobsite everyday, or tossing them in the back of the pick-up. (I do through them in the back of the van and do a 150-mile roundtrip every week as I work on the other house though [so they're not just sitting under the workbench.])

I looked at the cases that came with the nailer and stapler and, as I recall, they are similar in design to the other tools that I have. I'm considering buying them (I think they're about $30 a piece through Ridgid parts). But, I'm not sure how much I would need them, after I get the shop finished.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                              Ray,

As you say, the cases are definitely plastic, but the tool itself is magnesium. I didn't get a case with my nailer and stapler because they were part of a combo, and came with a bag instead.

However, I do have a couple of cases for some of my other tools and I really like them. They're some kind of blow-moulded plastic with metal closures. IMO, they're well designed and have held up quite well...but I confess that I'm not taking them to a jobsite everyday, or tossing them in the back of the pick-up. (I do through them in the back of the van and do a 150-mile roundtrip every week as I work on the other house though [so they're not just sitting under the workbench.])

I looked at the cases that came with the nailer and stapler and, as I recall, they are similar in design to the other tools that I have. I'm considering buying them (I think they're about $30 a piece through Ridgid parts). But, I'm not sure how much I would need them, after I get the shop finished.

CWS
                              Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                              I took a close look at the Ridgid nailers yesterday and they are definately magnesium. You can see towards the bottom of the handle they have Mg engraved into them promoting the fact. They paint makes them looks sort of plastic.
                              OK, OK....Went to HD today and here I am with egg on my face. The body of the Ridgid nailer is definately magnesium and I meant the body not the carrying case when I said case. My nephew pointed this out when we talked earlier and reminded me it was the flimsly trigger that was the primary turnoff, that and and sticky loading mechanism and the great deal ($149) on the Hitachi.
                              Thanks for all the help. As I said before we are starting a job next week which will give us alot of use in a short time. Will give a report after....Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X