X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Miter Saw Stand Will Not Fold Properly

I just purchased the Ridgid miter saw stand and love it. However, it will not fold more than 1/3 of the way before stopping. After I assembled the unit, it closed properly with no issues. I mounted my Ridgid saw and attempted to fold the stand. No luck. The stand would only fold 1/3 of the way and stopped. I removed the saw thinking that I may have created the problem when I mounted the saw but the stand still would not close. When I look under the unit the spring on the seems to be fully compressed at the 1/3 point. ??? What is puzzling is that I have not touched the area where the stand folds so I'm not sure why the problem cropped up after the unit had been closed or folded once.

Any guidance or help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by Knotty Pine; 07-23-2007, 09:37 PM.

Re: Ridgid Miter Saw Stand Will Not Fold Properly

I'm guessing you are referring to the RIDGID MS-UV. Is it the old or new model?

Here's a link to the new model.
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/AC9944-M...e/EN/index.htm

Unfortunately the old MS-UV (AC9940) I can't find on the RIDGID site. There are still some out there in stores for sale, and you swould think they would be listed in the discontinued section, but I could not find it there either.
    I did find the manual for the old MS-UV.
    http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/F61B38D...40_408_Man.pdf
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob,

My model number is AC9944.

Thanks
      Mike

Comment

Can't help you with that one, I have the AC9940.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I was in Home Depot and saw a 'returned' Ridgid miter saw stand marked down from $160 to $100. This is the new model and I liked the design, so asked a guy on tool isle to show me how it worked. He tried but couldn't get it to fold down more than 1/3 of the way. I still liked the design and figured it was damaged in return, so had him load up a new one. Assembled it today, installed my saw on it. Guess what.... it won't go down more than 1/3 of the way! Inspected mechanism - pretty simple but somethings wrong with the spring/shaft/pressurized cylinder unit. Any one have any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by SCRUFFY View Post
            I was in Home Depot and saw a 'returned' Ridgid miter saw stand marked down from $160 to $100. This is the new model and I liked the design, so asked a guy on tool isle to show me how it worked. He tried but couldn't get it to fold down more than 1/3 of the way. I still liked the design and figured it was damaged in return, so had him load up a new one. Assembled it today, installed my saw on it. Guess what.... it won't go down more than 1/3 of the way! Inspected mechanism - pretty simple but somethings wrong with the spring/shaft/pressurized cylinder unit. Any one have any suggestions?
            Do you have a saw on it. The conventional forum wisdom seems to be that w/o the weight of a saw you can't close it. If you already have the saw mounted on it, I dunno since I have the old one.

Comment

Yep, saw is on it. Unit assembled well and no binding or problems anywhere that I can find. Saw easily slides full length of stand when clamps are released.

I'm happy with all the Rigid tools I've had so far. Will be on the phone with Ridgid Technical on Monday and will post what I find out.

Thanks for the response.

Comment

Originally posted by Knotty Pine View Post
                it will not fold more than 1/3 of the way before stopping. After I assembled the unit, it closed properly with no issues. I mounted my Ridgid saw and attempted to fold the stand. No luck. The stand would only fold 1/3 of the way and stopped. I removed the saw thinking that I may have created the problem when I mounted the saw but the stand still would not close. When I look under the unit the spring on the seems to be fully compressed at the 1/3 point. ??? What is puzzling is that I have not touched the area where the stand folds so I'm not sure why the problem cropped up after the unit had been closed or folded once
                My AC9944 MSUV needed a firm shove to complete the folding process because of the spring compression. Initially this was alarming for me but a few more attempts should make the folding process easier for you and the MSUV. A properly mounted miter saw should help because of the weight factor. I believe this could be considered a safety design to prevent the MSUV from suddenly collapsing until you are ready for it. Hope this helps....

Comment

correct - I was freaked out as well. A firm push and it is closed properly. Took me quite a few attempts and studying of the underside of the product to figure this out.

Comment

Working...
                  X