X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Belt Sander To Buy

I am looking for a variable speed belt sander. I did buy a Ridgid for $130, but can get a deal on a PC352vs or Craftsman Pro as well. I don't plan on using this for floor/flat surface areas much , I need to be able to work on vertical sufaces. Any imput and reviews would be great. Thanks

Re: Which Belt Sander To Buy

I've got the ridgid belt sander and I am very happy with it. I find it plenty powerful and i find the dust collection (when conncted to a small shop vac) very good.

I have used it mainly for flattening surfaces (like table tops) and clamped to a workbench for shaping.

Comment

I have the porter cable 352 and its a very nice machine. Very good balace and comfortable handles and placement. Decide if you prefer an inline style sander such as the ridgid or a top handle one like the PC. The PC does have a few minor things I don't like. It has an oddball dust bag attachment size which won't fit any standard vac hose size and no accessories and no handle position options. I would have liked the Dewalt belt sander which has a platform for leveling and can also be used with a base turned upside down as a bench sander.
      I don't know what Craftsman model you are refering to but all the models I've seen from them are just rebadged Ryobi sanders. They are quite short on power and can be very frustrating to work with.

Comment

Here is a good thread for some reviews. I've since added a graphite platen pad and it seems to keep the belts cooler.

Ern

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ighlight=R2720

Here is where I ordered the graphite:

https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLP...ARTNUM=878-512

Comment

How about a good reconditioned Porter-Cable 360? They are a tried and proven model. Would a 3 x 24 be a little too big for your needs? By the way I would pass over the variable speed models. Remember Murphy's law and also to KIS - keep it simple.
          Last edited by Woussko; 07-27-2007, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I have the 360vs. It is powerful (12amps) and heavy(14lbs). Built like a tank. Nice sander once you get used to the power and heft.
            You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

I have the DeWalt DW433 Kit with the sanding frame. It's a nice sander and has worked well for me. I found the belt tracking to be touchy at first but have since gotten used to adjusting it.

Can't comment on the RIDGID, I don't believe it was out when I bought my DeWalt and I have never used one, just eyeballed them in the store.

You can read more about it here:
              http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...ategoryID=1457
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob D I never tried one but the Dewalt sander is really cool looking!!!

Comment

Sander for vertical surfaces:

I'd suggest one that feels good in your hands and is light. No matter what the weight, it will get heavier throughout the day. I'd go for comfort. If two are equal in that respect, let the options and price be the deciding factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    How about a good reconditioned Porter-Cable 360? They are a tried and proven model. Would a 3 x 24 be a little too big for your needs? By the way I would pass over the variable speed models. Remember Murphy's law and also to KIS - keep it simple.
                    Varaible speed while adding to the complexity of the sander is nice to have to aid in control of the sander. Belt sanders can be a handful. Nice to be able to tame some of their aggressiveness.

Comment

Akita

I agree if the VS is done right. Unlike in a drill because a belt sander has a high Amp motor it's going to take a good heavy duty control. Maybe Milwaukee can do something where they use the VSC from a Super Sawzall but do it up like on the 1663 drill. It would be nice to have say 500 - 1500 surface feet/minute on a belt sander.

Here is my thing: I have a Porter-Cable 360 that's about 25 years old and it has served me very well with little repairs needed. I wonder if the new ones which are now built in a B & D owned factory have the quality of the older ones of it they are cutting corners to make more profit and just using the PC name.

Comment

Working...
                      X