X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a worm drive

Hi,
    I have come to aske a few questions.
    I am a power tool desinger at an independant design house and I have been reading about circular saws re a new project coming up.
    Now I notece that in the USA in particular worm drive circular saws are quite popular. I have not really seen them at all in other countries all mainly sticking to the standard spur gear drive.
    Does any body know Why?
    My intial thoughts are that a worm drive can produce more torque as its a higher drive ratio which may be needed due to the lower total power availalbe at a wall outlet in the USA.

EU, UK and AU all have 230/240V 10A availalbe at the wall so can have larger 2400W motors.

Any insights you have would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by BVDL75; 07-25-2007, 01:08 AM.

Re: Why a worm drive

Originally posted by BVDL75 View Post
    My intial thoughts are that a worm drive can produce more torque as its a higher drive ratio which may be needed due to the lower total power availalbe at a wall outlet in the USA.

EU, UK and AU all have 230/240V 10A availalbe at the wall so can have larger 2400W motors.
    You pretty much nailed it. Higher torque...much more difficult to stall.

Comment

They deliver higher torque so they are more diffucult to stall. They are very popular for cutting wet lumber where the standard saws will struggle a lot more. They also tend to last forever. Power has nothing to do with it. US and European voltages are different but actual power is the same. Watts = volts X amps so a European 240v 10A circuit has the same 2400watt capacity as a US 120v 20A circuit.

Comment

i use my worm drive skil saw to cut concrete very often. i even use it wet with a gfci cord. never had a problem and it cuts 2.5'' deep.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

the other item is balance, you can put a heaver motor in line with the frame of the saw,
          For many years they were the only saw that was made with the blade on the left side of the saws frame, for a right hand er you could see the blade with out leaning over the saw to see the blades location. and where it is traveling in the product being cut.

One of the other aspects was one could use the weight to one's advantage with the placement of the rear handle,
          in cutting 2X stock, was to hold the 2x stock at a 45 degree angle or so and then let the weigh of the saw cut the lumber, instead of pushing the saw thought the stock, I use it mostly as a one handed saw, and on most other saws, you can't cut a straight line with two hands on the saw. regardless of the position of the lumber.

one other advantage of the saw is the diamond shape that positively holds the blade from slipping on the arbor.

Also the cord does not seem to get in the way as with a regular saw for some reason.

there tougher than nails and last and last and last,
          Attached Files
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BVDL75 View Post
            Hi,
            Now I notece that in the USA in particular worm drive circular saws are quite popular. I have not really seen them at all in other countries all mainly sticking to the standard spur gear drive.
            Does any body know Why?
            My guess is one of the main reason you will not see one of these outside the US is because they are mostly used for lumber construction which is the most common in the US. Much of the rest of the world seems to be mainly masonry, block, brick, concrete, etc so there is no real need for such a saw.

Comment

Just for fun take a look at the old timer SKIL design for their first circular and also at Porter-Cable. Both were designed like the worm drive of today. I think back then it was mostly a weight distibution and bulk issue. I do see contractors using them (worm drive models) with a diamond blade to cut flagstone all the time around here. I do know one that uses a "sidewinder" style circular saw for stone work and he said it works pretty well. Also, take a look at the antique Porter-Cable belt sanders. They had oil bath worm drive gearing. Some old timers still like them over the newer styles. I will say that they do just feel better in your hands. What you use should be based on your needs and what works for you. Both designs have been around a good long time and both do cut wood well.

Comment

I love my wormdrive - nothing stops it, and it doesn't make as much racket as a sidewinder!

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                  I love my wormdrive - nothing stops it, and it doesn't make as much racket as a sidewinder!
                  Amen brother!!!!!!!!!The worm is a quiet beast!!!!!!!!!
                  You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

My worm drive is great, I have the New Bosch Model with the cord that disconnects fromt he unit, you can use and length cord you want.

I use it to cut concrete all the time! excellent power saw
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I hope you guys are using your secondary older saws to cut concrete.If not you are ruining a new saw's armiture( ) and brushes.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        I hope you guys are using your secondary older saws to cut concrete.If not you are ruining a new saw's armiture( ) and brushes.

Brother Adam, I always burn my worm drive out I get a good year or so out of them, not a big deal, they work great, leave a clean job when I have to remove concrete.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

What type of blade is everyone using on their worm drive saws to cut concrete? I have a dewalt framing saw that is sitting largely unused because I prefer my milwaukee sidewinder for lumber duty (it's much lighter). Maybe I can retrofit the dewalt for concrete

Comment

Is this the Bosch worm drive saw (model 1677M) on Amazon.com for $150 Click Me?
                            Toolbarn has it for $188 Click Me. Maybe a new model is about to be released?

The Amazon ad says it's the "Limited Edition" model, and it looks different than the Toolbarn pic...if the pics are representative...

- djb
                            Last edited by djb; 09-11-2007, 02:19 PM. Reason: added Toolbarn
                            sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

The 1677-100 is the limited edition tool collector saw. I think the one you will want to give a good look at this the 1677MD which has the removable power cord feature. You connect an extension cord to the power inlet that's inside the handle. The 1677XC-100 is the collector's version. No need to spend the extra $ if this is going to be a work tool. Be careful there's no T in the model as they are for use with a twist-lock connector on the power cord. It's a good thing, but you'll have to rig up the power cord with it.

http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...=54930&I=55120

Comment

Working...
                              X