Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plainer - Makita or Dewalt?

Hey All!

In my country I only find Makita or Dewalt brands for plainers. What would you buy?

Best from

Ari
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ari; 07-25-2007, 11:30 AM.

Re: Plainer - Makita or Dewalt?

I have the Dewalt and really like it. Never given me any problems, not even slipping rollers. They both look very similar in terms of features. The Dewalt does have a 3 knife cutter head instead of 2 and thats a pretty big advantage. It will make more cuts per revolution and leave a smoother finish. The blades should also last longer since wear is distributed over more blades.

Comment

Thank you very much VeloSapien!

Good points. It will help a lot!

Any more opinions?

Best

Ari

Comment

The dewalt is a newer design and has 1/2" wider capacity. The 734 also has a depth of cut gauge. You may want to look at the 735 if it is available.
        If you are going to be moving this to different job sites the Makita weights only 61 LBS, the 734 is 80 LBS. The dewalt includes the dust hood, option on the Makita. Both will get the job done but IMO the Dewalt is a little nicer machine.

Comment

Thanks Wayne and VeloSapien !!

The decision will be much easier now.

Best from

Ari

Comment

Ari, since ya can't get a Ridgid down there, go with that yellow one.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Hey Dan!! How are you?

Unfortunately Ridgid does not bring all their tools to Brasil. They basically bring/make their plumbing tools but not wood working tools. We have DW, Makita, Metabo, B&D, Bosch, some Fein, Festool, but not the ones I like, Ridgid...

Nice to "see you" men!

Best from

Ari

Comment

Hi Ari!!

I also have the DeWalt. I've had it for about 5 years, and I love it. I've never had a worry from it, and changing blades is really simple. They're double-sided so you'll get a good amount of use out of a single set, and it comes with 2 sets. I still have the blade set I purchased! I haven't run a whole bunch of board feet through it, but it's handled the walnut and oak I have with ease. Since the Makita is only 2-blade I think the DeWalt would easily be the better choice.

Whichever one you get, I really recommend getting some ear protection!! The things are incredibly loud with a high-pitch whine that seems to want to cut to the bone. The things are major chip-makers, too. I think I remember you have a pretty nice shop, so I'm sure you'll have a dust collector. Since the DeWalt comes with the dust hood (with a 4" connector), that rather seals the deal for me!!
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Do you need it to be protable? If not you might want to look into a good used cast iron stationary machine built to last for years. Yes they are big and heavy but they make minced meat out of the smaller portables. They aren't near as **** loud either.

Comment

Dear VASandy !

It will be DW !!

Ear protection is a must and I've used it all the time. David Clark is the name and I like then a lot. About the shop, unfortunately I did not make a dust collector yet and this is a back-log today...lol.

Thank you very much. You helped a lot!

Hey Woussko!

It must be portable and not expensive so will be DW any way. Thanks a lot!

Best from

Ari

Comment

Ari, nice to see you posting again. Don't be such a stranger OK?

PS: I have the DeWalt 735 and couldn't be happier. Great benchtop planer.
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Ari

I got to see both the Dewalt and the Makita models you asked about. I would take the Dewalt anytime over that Makita. I think you'll like it too.

Comment

Working...
                        X