Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new li-ion 18V drill, shaft bent, is this normal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new li-ion 18V drill, shaft bent, is this normal?

I'm new to the forum and thought I would see if anyone else has run into this problem. I have the new li-ion 18 volt cordless drill. My first project with it was to build work benches for my wood shop. When I first got this drill I was very pleased with it. It was a HUGE upgrade from my Dewalt 12V. Long story short, while working on this project, I started to notice that the drill end started to wobble when screwing things together. I know I've not dropped the unit so that's not a factor. The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is screwing in 1.5" lag bolts for the wheels.

Is this normal?

If yes, I'm very disappointed. This tool has wonderful torque and is really well balanced so that you don't get tired of using it. But I'd expect the tool to be able to hold up to anything it can drill or turn. I never used the unit it direct drive mode and the highest I ever set the chuck was to 21 (out of 24) for the lag bolts.

Re: new li-ion 18V drill, shaft bent, is this normal?

Try this and please report back.

Take a brand new and good quality 1/4 - 3/8 twist drill bit and grab it in the chuck and tighten the chuck well. Then run the drill at a slow speed and look endwise at the point center. Does it wobble? If yes, the spindle might be bent, but my bet is the chuck is the problem. It might be that the chuck retainging screw needs to be removed (left hand threads) and the chuck removed and cleaned well and then reinstalled. Try to check the simple things first. As for bending the spindle (Your doing) it's not easy to do unless you have an accident. Driving lag screws would not do such to a drill. If you do get the chuck off, run the drill slow and look hard at the spindle. If it seems to wobble, then take the drill to a power tool repair shop and have them check it. It could be a bad ball bearing, but I kind of doubt it. I really think it's a chuck problem. Sometimes the retaining screw isn't tight and the chuck (if drill is run in reverse) will start to unscrew.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

I can answer the first part of your question. I put several different drill bits and a new driver end in the unit and all wobbled. Add to that, if you run the drill at a really slow speed and put your hand on the chuck, you can feel it move up and down as it's going around. So the problem is in the unit itself.

I'll check the chuck retaining screw as you suggest and get back to you. I really hope that's it.

Comment

Don't take anything apart as you'll just probably void the warranty. Take it back to the store if its under 30 days and get it replaced. It sounds like you just got a defective drill. Its not normal for that to happen.

Comment

I took a look a this last night and while I could get the screw out, I could not get any further then that without some real effort. So I opted to stop.

I hate to doubt myself but a buddy of mine came over last night to help me hang some cabinets up in my workshop. He brought his brand new Dewalt. and the it appears to have even more wobble in it then mine.

I'm not really sure what to make of that other then perhaps I'm just overly sensitive?

I'll compare it with the one at the store and see if its about the same as mine. I'll let everyone know what I find.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

The problem is in the chuck(a heck of alot of dewalts wobble and it is the chuck)the chucks are not that good on any of them. the best chucks i have seen are on the milwk. and bosch,they do not wobble.most of the chucke are made by jacobs.
            A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Chic

Thanks for the post. It seems to me that the way to fix this would be to remove the OE chuck and trash it (not a surprise to me they use junk anymore) and replace it with a good Jacobs or Rohm industrial chuck. Then when it's time to replace the drill remove the good chuck and keep it. I've done that several times even where the OE chuck wasn't too bad so I can have one or two keys fit all of my chucks I normally use. Once you get used to a quality chuck there's no going back to lesser ones. You get spoiled (if you can call it that) fast.

Please note that industrial grade drill chucks aren't cheap but they are a good investment. You'll love the difference quality makes.

Comment

Chuck,

Thanks for the info. I'll give this a try!

Comment

Sortasuave

Please don't go replacing your chuck with another junky one. While a good chuck won't come cheap the Jacobs "Professional" mid grade are not bad at all. They are keyed style and come in several opening sizes and for both 3/8-24 and 1/2-20 spindles. Lowes had a few the last time I looked. I buy mine from an online industrial supply house, but that's another story.

22BA 3/8 - 1/16 to 3/8 capacity with 3/8-24 threads.
                  26BA 1/2 - 1/16 to 1/2 capacity with 1/2-20 threads

Both are drilled and countersunk so you can use a retaining screw which is a must on reversing drills. These are called Light Duty Industrial Chucks. They aren't what the true industrial grade is, but they are much better than the cheapo home user grade. You'll see these on pretty good corded drills and they make nice replacements. If you want to go all out and don't mind the cost, the true Jacobs Industrial chucks are the way to go. There are lots to select from. This PDF file lists them by model and specs.
                  http://www.jacobschuck.com/images/pr...ro%20Keyed.pdf

Info on removing and installing drill chucks
                  http://www.jacobschuck.com/pdf/s1.pdf

Comment

Working...
                  X