DOH! Did I screw up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOH! Did I screw up.

I had my Milwaukee router mounted in the router table and went to remove it to change the bit. I normally use my PC 690 router in the router table, but this time I already had the bit I wanted in the Milwaukee so I used it.

Well, I reached underneath the table to grab the motor and slide it out of the base. I flipped open the lock lever but my other hand was not holding the motor firmly, my thumb was partially on the quick release button. So when the lock clamp was opened the motor fell right out and dropped the 3 feet to the concrete floor. I was looking down through the acrylic base plate and watched as the motor bounced off the concrete and then flipped over only to land on the bit at an angle putting a nice divot about 1/4" across in the concrete. The router then landed on its side. Watching it seems like it too forever, but it was only a second or two. Anyway, the router is fine but the bit I have decided to trash, It's not worth the risk of having a piece of carbide come flying off at 27K RPM and land who knows where.

I only got to use the bit a couple times, it had maybe 20' of cutting on it. I looked it over good with a 10x glass and don't see any damage other than a small chip at the very bottom. Was a nice Rockler 3/4" x 1.25" pattern flush trim bit, $20 down the tubes

I am going back to using the PC 690 router in the table, its depth adjustment has a feature that prevents the router from falling out of the base when mounted in a router table.

So much for shortcuts.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Re: DOH! Did I screw up.

good call on tossing the bit bob, to many times people would have keep using it. to me a $20 bit isn't worth $2,000 or more when you concider what could have happened
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

My monster Milwaukee 5625 is in a enclosed benchdog table. It has fallen out but only drops 3-4 inches. Shame the adjustment mech on Milwaukees make it easy for them to fall out unless you have your hand under the motor.
      You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Bob, don't assume that the PC is stupid move proof either. I have the 690 mounted in my table and I once forgot to lock the motor into the base after adjusting the bit height. When I turned on the power, the motor came spinning out of the base like a shot and danced around the floor a full speed for what seemed like an eternity. I thank my lucky stars that the power switch I was using was table mounted and not the one on the router or I'm sure I would have been seriously hurt.
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Well, I don't feel so dumb after hearing I am not the only one this has happened to. OK on being careful with the 690 router Dave. I will remember your story (as well as my own episode) now every time I go to adjust the router in the table. I am thinking I should get a soft mat of some type and put it under there to cushion the blow for the next round. Over the next couple years its bound to happen again.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

That's a minor thing IMO. During the course of any given day, if that's the worst that happens, it's a pretty good day! No worries.

Comment

Before I mounted my Bench Dog router table to the 3650 I had added a shelf under the saw for storage. When I installed the BD and mounted the router I found that I was about an inch shy of being able to easily drop my router out of the base, so I cut a 4" diameter hole through the bottom of the shelf and used the cutout to block the hole until I need to remove the router. This eased my mind some what regarding the router dropping to the floor, as I had read about it happening. The shelf also catches a lot of the sawdust that the top mounted vac attachment misses.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X