Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparks inside 18V Li-ion drill ?

Hey guys,
    I recently bought the new 18V li-ion but have only recently had a chance to open it up and check it out. Last night I charged the batteries and when I pressed the trigger, I could see some sparks inside the drill. At first I thought it was a flash from the led lights but I'm new to this drill so I'm not sure. I never noticed this in my old B&D. Is this the brake that is causing this and is it normal?

Re: Sparks inside 18V Li-ion drill ?

If it happens when you release the trigger it's the brake and it is normal.

Comment

Yes it is when I let go of the trigger. I thought it was the brake but just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Comment

When you want to stop the drill normally, let up on the trigger slowly. It's much easier on the motor and you won't have the sparking issue. Only let go of the trigger quickly if there's a need to bring it to a stop fast.

Comment

I just bought the 18 volt drill also and have a question. I know the sparks are normal when braking , but mine makes a wratcheting sound also when it stops, kind of like gears dragging. It only does it when the drill is on high speed and only when I let off the trigger. Is this normal?
          thanks

Comment

The ratcheting sound when it comes to a stop is the spindle lock kicking in. Its what locks the chuck so it doesn't turn and you can use the one handed keyless chuck. Without that lock you'd need a keyed chuck or two handed keyless chuck.

Comment

thanks Velosapien,
              I already exchanged it for another drill( same exact one) and it does the same , so I figured it was normal. Thanks again !

Comment

Working...
              X