X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2400 potential buyer. Arbor question

Newbie here. Looking for a portable table saw.

Deal breakers for me so far based on internet reviews:

DW744-table top wears too quickly

Makita 2703-miter slot issues/ fence appears to have either too much flex
    or doesn't lock down very well. Would probably get one if the
    fence could be used by blocking the outfeed end (don't know
    what the problem is other than people say the fence sucks.)
    The 2703 has a needle bearing one one end of the arbor.
    (The 2704 has a ball bearing in the same location btw)
    Wonder if bolting a 90 degree bracket to either side of the
    fence and clamping that down to the table would end that
    complaint. Also arbor wobble has been mentioned.

Bosch 4000 looked at one in Sears and it just doesn't look as good as the
    TS2400-the fence looks sort of tiny in comparison and it costs
    another $150 more than the Ridgid. Fence issues reported online

Craftsman (BT31 clone)
    : I had the Ryobi and it was a pretty good saw. The craftsman just looks
    like it has too many moving parts to be dependable in the long run. All the
    weight had sag issues over long time sitting per reviews. I left the rails and
    tables in the box when not using the saw.

Two things I liked about the Ryobi- 3 1/2 inch depth of cut and
    the arbor has three bearings and double
    belt drive. The craftsman manual does
    not show an exploded view of their arbor
    assembly like Ryobi so nobody knows if
    it has three bearings or not.

Pretty much the other models Skil/ PC/ Hitachi/etc. had their flaws pointed out and are not candidates for me at this time.

What I like so far after looking at the TS2400LS:
    *It just looks like a quality piece
    *full sized real miter slot on both sides
    *Easy blade parallel adjustments from the top
    *angle knob adjust or just pull to the angle you want
    *the fence Looks beefy and strong.
    *the moving tape measure is unique to me- kind of cool.
    *the stand is neat but I don't really need it-wish HD had just the saw 4 sale.
    *saw insert easily adjustable

Here is the Arbor question.

How many bearings does the arbor have? There is only one exploded version
    in the manual and online that shows only an "arbor assembly" that sits on the end of the motor. There is nothing indicating any bearings and for that matter it doesn't even show the arbor at all. The only negative review I could find said the arbor had play in it that couldn't be fixed and the reviewer got full credit back at HD. I'm hoping that was just a one time snafu and not indicative of the average saw in the box.

Thanks for any responses. I'm pretty sure this is the saw for me but had this one little question to solve, hopefully.

Re: TS2400 potential buyer. Arbor question

Pirinst I have owned a TS2400LS for a couple of years now and have nothing but praise for the saw.

When I was researching portable table saws my short list wound up with two... The Ridgid and the Bosch. I chose the Ridgid because it was cheaper by around $150.00 (cdn) and seemed to have a better fence.

I can't really tell you how many bearings the arbour has but it is fairly stout. Mine is not loose at all. Never had any problems with it.
    My saw gets commercial use as I am a carpenter for a living.
    It's very portable with the stand but no lightweight.
    You could very easily detach the saw from the stand but I hope you've got a strong back
    They used to sell the stand separately and I wish they would again because it's an excellent design and I would buy one and mount a shop made router table on it or a lunchbox planer.

The only problem I've ever had with this saw is with the gaurd coming loose from it's storage location (I never use the guard). I remedied this by drilling a small hole through the guard and it's molded seat on the base of the saw and putting a stainless bolt and wingnut on it to keep it from coming loose when the saw gets folded up and wheeled around over bumpy terrain.

Would I buy again? You betcha

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by jbergstrom; 08-07-2007, 01:58 AM.
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Thanks Jim. Those are encouraging comments.

Stopped by on the way to work to look at the Makita 2703 and it just looks like a $325 waste of money. Small and crummy looking fence.

Will probably pick up the 2400 this weekend.

Thanks again.

Comment

I don't know alot about most of these saws, but my understanding is that the Sears is a Ryobi BT3100 clone that's actually made by Ryobi, and has interchangeable parts, plus a few extras. The bearing/arbor design should be identical.

My understanding is that the BT3 saws are capable of good accuracy when setup well, they're not typically considered as robust for jobsite work as the Bosch, Ridgid, DW, or PC3812, and don't withstand transporting as well. Bosch and DW both have updated models you may want to check into...4001, DW745.

Good luck.

Comment

GOt one before work Tuesday.

Will set it up probably by the weekend. I'm excited to see it work.

Thanks for the Craftsman info. I had the BT3100 but it didn't have the stand, router adaptor, nor any miter slots. Looking at the Craftsman, I
          had the feeling that the Ridgid would be a better saw for me anyway.
          I can build a sled for the Ridgid if I really need a crosscut slider.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

I just bought the TS2400 on July 4th. I narrowed my choices down to 3. The TS2400, the 4000-09, and the Craftsman 21829. I didnt really care for the goofy miter setup the Craftsman offered and it seemed kinda cheap when comparing side by side. As far as the Bosch versus the Ridgid, I didnt think the Bosch was a hundred dollars nicer. The only complaints I have with my TS2400 is the motor is real noisy. Alot noiser than my friends 4000-09.

I'm sure there are lots of people who would like to have your stand. I think it would sell real good on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by pirinst View Post
              Newbie here. Looking for a portable table saw.

Craftsman (BT31 clone)
              : I had the Ryobi and it was a pretty good saw. The craftsman just looks
              like it has too many moving parts to be dependable in the long run. All the
              weight had sag issues over long time sitting per reviews. I left the rails and
              tables in the box when not using the saw.

Two things I liked about the Ryobi- 3 1/2 inch depth of cut and
              the arbor has three bearings and double
              belt drive. The craftsman manual does
              not show an exploded view of their arbor
              assembly like Ryobi so nobody knows if
              it has three bearings or not.

Pretty much the other models Skil/ PC/ Hitachi/etc. had their flaws pointed out and are not candidates for me at this time.

What I like so far after looking at the TS2400LS:
              *It just looks like a quality piece
              *full sized real miter slot on both sides
              *Easy blade parallel adjustments from the top
              *angle knob adjust or just pull to the angle you want
              *the fence Looks beefy and strong.
              *the moving tape measure is unique to me- kind of cool.
              *the stand is neat but I don't really need it-wish HD had just the saw 4 sale.
              *saw insert easily adjustable

Here is the Arbor question.

Thanks for any responses. I'm pretty sure this is the saw for me but had this one little question to solve, hopefully.
              I happen to have both a older BT3000 in my shop and a T2400 that travels with me everyday,it has outlasted two new vans and is on it's third.
              Both work well. no complaints with either really. The BT is accurate and a great deal at what I paid for it ten years ago and it is much cheaper now, but I wouldn't want to bang it around much

The Rigid is 6 years old, maybe 7, and it just keeps on ticking, plus the mobile stand is about as good as there is. Not easy to get in a van by yourself, but a good honest saw with a fine fence.

I build a lot of book cases and and shelving, both saws have made a lot of nice items
              Last edited by oldninefingers; 08-09-2007, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I've had the TS2400 for about a year and a half and could not be happier with it. The fence is great and overall its just a great saw. Its well made and exceptionally accurate. The motor is indeed quite noisy but still not anywhere near the old craftsman I had before which sounded like a thunderbolt when it turned on!

Comment

Thanks again for all the comments.

Hope to set this thing up during the weekend. Have to make space for it as well.

Comment

Check where they sell safety equip at HD or Lowes and buy some disposable ear plugs made for hearing protection. They help with the noise issues. So do the hearing protectors that look like big headphones.

Comment

Working...
                    X