New DeWalt Li Ion 18V Batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DeWalt Li Ion 18V Batteries

http://www.toologics.com/Features/AWFS_2007/Hot!_DeWalt's_New_Lithium_Ion_18v_%22Nano%22_Batte ry_20070721234.html

As the story goes, they are backwards compatible with their current 18V tools.

Re: New DeWalt Li Ion 18V Batteries

Here comes more $$$ for the battery and a new charger, but it's nice that the new charger will charge older 18 Volt Dewalt batteries. If only Dewalt would give us trade-ins on the older batteries towards new Li-Ion batteries. That would sure boost sales for them.
    Last edited by Woussko; 08-29-2007, 06:38 AM.

Comment

That would be pretty cool but I can't see them doing that. A trade-in rebate would be nice though.

Milwaukee basically did the same upgrade, 2 batts and a charger, thing with V18, but I don't think they had any sort of trade-in featuring happening for the old Ni Cads.

Comment

I saw these a few months ago. Dewalt let the pics slip on one of their battery info pages on their website. They look pretty sleek. I like the new design. As expected, you will need a new charger. Nothing new there. Old nicad chargers can't charge lithium ion unless you like exploding batteries. At least the new charger is also fully backwards compatible which is a nice touch. I think I'll pick up a pair for my remaining XRP tools. I like that I can also keep my existing nicads and not need yet another charger. I think its only a matter of time before the 2.4ah nicad batteries are fully phased out of the XRP line much like the old XR and XR2 batteries were.
        If you also notice on the 36v charger specs, it's now listed as a 28v/36v charger. I saw a couple of pics of some 28v tools on some UK websites as the european sites tend to get a lot of these tools first. They look the same as the 36v battery, just shorter. Weight will be exactly the same as the 14.4v nicad batteries. The tools also seem to look the same. Not surprising as the 18v and 36v line are already mostly identical looking except for the batteries.

Comment

28v Rotary Hammer:
          http://www.interbuild.com/page.cfm/a.../ExhibID=00618

28v Circular Saw:
          http://cgi.ebay.com/DEWALT-28V-CORDL...QQcmdZViewItem

Not sure how this made it to ebay already. SOmeone must have swiped a review unit. Photos kinda suck though but they look authentic compared to the ones I saw.

Comment

Good find! Yeah it looks pretty much like the other DeWalt circular saw versions except that the saw has the blade on the right which they seem to do on the European versions of their cordless saws. It kind of looks it has a 6 1/2" blade too.

It is pretty strange that these are for sale on ebay since DeWalt has absolutely nada about them yet on their website. I agree that they're probably stolen or maybe the guy snapped a picture at a demo show and is trying to pull a hoax.

Comment

Its also got a vacuum port and the lower blade guard is made of metal. The US versions will probably have the blade on the left with plastic guards and not vac port. The pics look like they were taken with a phone camera so its entirely possible they were snapped at a show.

Comment

Thats definately a european version of the 28v saw. I checked out the 36v on the UK site and it has all the same features. The metal blade guard, vac port, and right side blade.
                http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/p...catno/DC300KL/

Comment

Very strange since it says item location: YORK, PA, United States. So it's a serious question as to where he got this tool and why he's selling it on ebay when DeWalt haven't even released it yet.

I wish the NA versions had the metal blade guard too, because the plastic guards they use are garbage. No doubt that in Europe it's a safety thing and they are probably not allowed to use plastic for a blade guard.

Comment

You might do well to inform B & D - Dewalt of this giving them as much info as you can about this seller's ID and the item number. 1-800-433-0258

To me this seems like something that eBay Trust & Security need to know about, but it might be best for Dewalt to contact them directly.

Note that in the add it claims it's brand new but without box. I have a bad feeling this is an item that if you touched it, your fingers would get burned.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 08-07-2007, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I'm curious about these new DeWalt Li Ion batteries, and I hope you techies/engineers/electricians can help out....

I see that it says "18V Nano Phosphate Lithium Ion batteries." What's with the "phosphate" thing?? I've seen many manufacturers doing the Lithium Ion thing, but I haven't seen any with phosphate in the battery. Just what exactly does this do for the battery, and what are the pros and cons??

Please tell, if you know. Thanks.

Comment

Thats their marketing buzzword based on the chemistry the battery uses. Lithium ion actually refers to a family of batteries with different chemistries rather than a specific technology. Currently there are two common types of lithium ion. Lithium ion manganese based and cobalt based. Cobalt base is by far the most common. This is what has been used on electronics such as cel phones and laptop batteries for a long time now. It has very high energy density but is suitable only for slow energy draw uses which is why they work well in electronic gadgets. They become thermally unstable and will overheat if used for high power draw applications such as power tools. Manganese base has a lower energy density but can be used for very high energy drain uses like power tools. Its more stable at the expense of energy density. This is what all power tools lihium ion is based on. Dewalt is the only one using a different system. They partnered with A123 Systems which is one of the cutting edge developers of lithium ion batteries. They have their own proprietary chemistry known as nano-phosphate, hence the marketing term Dewalt uses. It's supposed to improve on some of the shortcommings of manganese base such as providing better cycle life and higher current.

Comment

Well explained. Thank you, Velosapien. Much appreciated.

Comment

I like this part too, being a DeWalt fan that I am! LOL

all have integrated LED worklights when they refered to their new tools.

Mark
                            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I spoke with a DeWalt representative last week, the "nano battery" will be hitting the stores in the mid October time frame. A 1 battery & 1 charger combo will be available for approximately $150.00, the charger will charge the new "nano" battery and all the old "ni cad" batteries (I am assuming 7.2v - 18v (non "unistick" style batteries))! Just in time for the Holiday sale period, a 2 battery 1 charger pack will be available as well (no price). No word on the warranty for the new batteries yet.

Q1 of 2008 will be an exciting period of time for fans of DeWalt 18 volt cordless with numerous products being launched and refreshed.

Hope this information helps everyone out,

Ohiohead

Comment

Working...
                              X