Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ridgid 3020 reciprocating saw

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R3020-Orbital-Recip-Saw

Has anyone tried on of these yet? I was thinking of picking one up. Saw it at HD and it looks like its packing all the features you'd want in a reciprocating saw. Only thing I didn't like was the blade change lever doesn't quite sit completely flush. It sticks out slightly over the shoe adjustment lever right where you hold the saw. Its like they pusposely analyzed the worst possible place to put the release lever in order to put it there.

Re: New Ridgid 3020 reciprocating saw

Why not just look for a good deal on a real thing Sawzall or Super Sawzall? This may or may not be a good tool and only time will really tell the story.

Comment

The reason I don't look for the "real" sawzall is they are too expensive for my needs. Its not a tool I use that frequently so I would be quite happy with a cheaper model. 90% of the time I will likely be using my 36v Dewalt. I just want one for those times every now and then when a corded model is more practical. For me thats only a couple of times a year. The reason I'm buying is because the Porter Cable 9748 is being cleared and the 9747 are on sale for a really good price so I figured it was a good time to buy. I noticed the new Ridgid on display and figured I would ask first and see what the verdict is first. I think I'm still leaning towards the PC since its cheaper and basically a Dewalt DW311 in gray.

Comment

Lately, I have seen the Makita with a free angle grinder for 179 in my local HD. Here is the Amazon page w/o the grinder deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-JR3070C...6462920&sr=1-2

Comment

The Makita is nice, I've looked into them but its a bit more than I'm interested in spending. Only reason I'm looking into them is because the Porter Cable saws are going for $119 at HD which is a pretty good deal for their high end saw. The Ridgid is a little more, like 140 or 150 but I might consider it if its worth it. The Milwaukee is way out of the question. For the extra money it costs I can almost get more important things I'd like to have like a 36v jigsaw or circular saw bare tool.

Comment

Maybe this will get you looking harder at a Milwaukee Sawzall depending on which model(s) you're thinking about. The Porter-Cable are worth looking at and especially if you can find a good price. The first 2 links below have some pretty good deals on reconditioned Milwaukee tools. Just something to look at and maybe think about.

http://www.powertoolservices.com/sawzalls.htm

http://secure.yisi.net/gtr/shop/category.asp?catid=127

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...f32+1186519255

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
              For the extra money it costs I can almost get more important things I'd like to have like a 36v jigsaw or circular saw bare tool.
              I see your point exactly. Given your planned usage (twice a year +/-). I'd probably consider a throwdown Ryobi or Craftsman recip. saw and get another 36v tool I know I'll use more often. That new Ridgid does look nice though, and I love the 12' cords on my Ridgid tools.

In all actuality, I'd probably buy the Ridgid AND the bare tool and just watch LOML shake her head in disgust

Ern.

Comment

Normally it would make sense to just buy a cheap tool for that little use but my point in buying it is precisely for those jobs at times when I need a tool with lots of power that can be run continuosly. I would probably end up throwing an underpowered ryobi or craftsman into the wall out of frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  Maybe this will get you looking harder at a Milwaukee Sawzall depending on which model(s) you're thinking about. The Porter-Cable are worth looking at and especially if you can find a good price. The first 2 links below have some pretty good deals on reconditioned Milwaukee tools. Just something to look at and maybe think about.

http://www.powertoolservices.com/sawzalls.htm

http://secure.yisi.net/gtr/shop/category.asp?catid=127

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...f32+1186519255
                  Those are some very good prices. I've ordered from coastal tool many times before. Very good place. I'd like the 6532-21 with the rotating handle and orbital action, which is comparable to the other saws I'm looking at but also happens to be one of the more expensive ones. Even the Ridgid is a bit more than I'd like to spend on this tool so I don't know. I'd almost feel ashamed to buy that Milwaukee and watch it stay clean and unused for so long

Comment

Vel

If you did buy the Milwaukee think of it as an investment. Later on it might become sort of a collector item and thus keep its value. Maybe you can go for a more basic model. I would also take a good look at Porter-Cable as they have been making reciprocating saws for a long time. Coastal Tool is a good dealer for sure. I have purchased things from them several times and unlike the big hogs they are humans that care about customers. I have purchased some factory reconditioned tools from Powertool Services. They were sent to me directly from the Milwaukee Factory reconditioning center with MET papers. Other than for a scratch or two and special branding (stamping marks on tool), they were like new tools.

Call me crazy but once you own and use a real thing Sawzall, there's no turning back to others. I have the basic 6509 and it's worked hard for me. It's nothing fancy but it does work. The Milwaukee plastic cases are a joke so save some $$$ and just get one with a cardboard box. Later on you can buy a brand X steel case for it. Coastal Tool used to sell them for far less than the red Milw steel case and they are nice.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 08-07-2007, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Special Note

Woussko is very dead set in his ways and would not allow anything but a real Milwaukee Sawzall in my list of power tools. There is a difference. With that said, I can't really blast the others. I'm sure some are pretty good and have heard and read good things about Porter-Cable and Bosch reciprocating saws. The Lenox Hackman uses a Bosch mostly and likes it very much. HIs helpers have used about every major brand when they saw up stuff showing off Lenox brand blades. Long ago I had a Black & Decker gray industrial "Cut Saw" which served me pretty well but it sure wasn't in the same class as a good Milwaukee Sawzall. I would try to find a good price on the real Sawzall and if you find you just don't need-like-want it they sell pretty well used in good condition.

When it comes to a jigsaw, I would go for a nice Bosch and that's about all I would look at. For corded drills it's Milwaukee or bust on a new one, but some of the older industrial B & D were really good too.

Comment

Well, back to the original point of the thread. It looks like no one has tried the new ridgid saw yet?

Comment

After all of my howing, I do hope someone has given the Ridgid a good test and will report their findings on it.

Comment

i have been looking for the ridgid the last couple times i have been at HD and havent seen it yet. how much is it.
                            and by the way, the sawzall doesnt hold a candle to the porter cable tiger saw

Comment

I have repaired quite a few of the ridgid sawzaw,not this model.the thing i do not like about them is the blade holder,complete junk.the company sending them in uses and abuses them to no end.they use milw.,dewalt,portercable,and ridgid.they are all beat up the same .the ridgid front end gives out alot,what i mean all the guts in the front end,spindle,gears,and case.when the blade holder failes you just can not get the part you need, you have to order the whole case.(stupid).now out of the four the milw.is the best followed closely buy the portercable then the dewalt.now for power the ridgid has alot of it but the rest can not stand up to harsh punishment.but for what you are going to do with it and you probally take care of your tools it should do just fine.so i feel for the money and the user it would be a great buy!
                              chic
                              A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Working...
                              X