X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosch worm drive issue.....

Picked up a Bosch 1677 from Lowes last week. Havent had to use it, I just took it out of the box.

Read a review at Amazon from someone saying the blade is out of parallel with the base plate. Sure enough, I checked mine and its definitely not parallel. Probably about 3/32" off across the width of the blade.

Is there any way to fix it? Should I be returning it and hoping I can find a replacement thats perfect?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Re: Bosch worm drive issue.....

I would take a good pocket ruler with you to Lowes and then go to the Tool Dept and ask for a department manager. Let him/her know about your's and ask if it's OK to open the ones they have in stock and check them while he/she watches. Also, take a good look at your's and see if anything looks banged or bent. While you might be able to do some adjusting, to me this seems like the saw took some banging and a part is bent or the base needs to be realigned. It really should be almost perfect out of the box. If you mess with a new product and can't get it right, there will signs of tampering. I would only try to fix it if you don't find a good one straight out of the box. If they are all off, then Lowes really should contact the sales rep about the problem. Not having one of these (same model) here to look at I can't say if there's enough adjustment or not without having to drill holes out oversize and that's not something you should go doing to a new tool.

This is something you really shouldn't find on a new saw. I would take it back, but first find out if they have a new one that's good to exchange your's for.

For what this is worth, HD and Lowes get pretty ruff moving things around and my bet is your saw took a good bump at some time.

If you check the ones in stock and they are all off, I would then tell them (at customer service) that you really want a refund because the ones in stock are messed up.
    Last edited by Woussko; 08-11-2007, 05:08 AM.

Comment

I got the last new one they had on the shelf, I think they may have gotten more in stock but Id have to check.

I figure if it was dropped/hit hard enough to do this, the box would be pretty mangled. Yet the box was in brand new condition (if it werent I wouldnt even think about buying the saw).

Hopefully they have a couple more that I can check. Seems like a PITA but I guess Ill never know if I dont try. As much as we think it shouldnt happen, Ive posted on a couple other forums and it actually seems kinda common (scary, eh?) Most everyone says they either dont use an edge guide or they just bang the plate back inline.

UPDATE: went back to Lowes, they had 3 new ones on the shelf. First one they opened is a WHOLE lot better (not that the original was that bad). We're talking maybe 1/64" difference from front to back. That I can live with. They did a return/rebuy, and apparently Bosch is now giving a free tool belt with purchase of this saw. So I got the rebate to send in now.

-Chris
      Last edited by chrisexv6; 08-11-2007, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Just as an afterthought, check the blade and make sure that it's flat. OEM supplied blades in most cases aren't really very high up on the quality ladder.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Chris

Sounds good and BadgerDave brings up a good point the the included blades with most saws are pretty junky. I was going to add that you need to try rotating the blade and also be sure you measure from the blade to the guide and not a tooth. The teeth (I'm sure you know but it's easy to forget) are offset right-left-right-left and that can throw off measurement if we forget it.

Blades do get bent, but it seems like things are better now and that's what matters, plus getting the tool belt will be nice.

Comment

I don't have to much to add................other then the fact that I use only Bosch worm drives to make my cuts in concrete and I have yet to get a defective one.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Yeah I thought about the blade possibly being the issue. But I figured if that were the case, taking the measurement with the blade in different positions would come up with different measurements, which it did not. Also made very sure I wasnt touching a blade tooth with the square.

Ive purchased a couple Bosch tools in the past, and none of them have disappointed. Jigsaw (1591), miter saw (5212 I think) and now circular saw. I also only use their jigsaw blades and masonry bits. They just seem to last longer and outcut/outdrill any competition product Ive used. I havent tried Milwaukee blades, mostly because I see no reason to stop with Bosch. It was just a little disappointing to have the circ saw out of square, with no easy way to fix it. Their miter saw has so many adjustments its not funny, I think it would be almost impossible to not be able to fix one of their compound miters.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
              X