X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kobalt Air Compressor problem

I just purchased a Kobalt air compressor and after using it a couple of times the fan starting hitting the cylinder. I can not figure out how to get the fan from not rubbing. This is 17 gal. 1.5 HP model 236005, purchased a Lowes. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Terry382; 08-11-2007, 11:00 AM.

Re: Kobalt Air Compressor problem

Terry,

Why mess with it? If you just bought it, take it back. If you've had it for awhile and it's still under warranty, take in in and have it fixed.

Without looking at the specific model and its motor/fan/compressor cylinder configuration, I really can't suggest a fix.

Sorry this isn't more helpful,

CWS

Comment

CWS,

I plan on taking it back, I've had it about a month but never got around to using it until now. I thought it might be something easy and simple to fix. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Terry

Are you sure it's scraping the cylinder and not the guard? While I wouldn't go to much bother to fix it and recommend taking it back, you might loosen the screws that hold the guard in place, move it tiny bit, tighten them and give it a quick check to find if it still scrapes. Be sure to unplug the power cord first before working on it. Always try to think of safety and yourself. If the flywheel really is scraping the cylinder, it's defective and needs to be exchanged for another, but I don't see that model on their web site. You might want to be sure they have another one before taking it back. Some Lowes have different stock than others. If nothing else, demand full credit and get another similar one if they don't have an exact replacment. If only a month old you shouldn't have to repair it on your own. I do know sometimes a minor and simple adjustment of a guard makes a big difference it something does scrape.

If you do remove part of the guard, try turning the flywheel by hand and make sure it runs true. If it wobbles, then take it back as the machine (or flywheel) is defective.

Put simple, it's most likely something you shouldn't need to bother with but I know it's a bit of a PITA to have to pack it up and take it back for another.

Comment

Woussko,

I did return it. After taking the case off I noticed the fly wheel was wobbling. You were right on! Lowes stop selling this model so I went with the next model up, they knocked a 100.00 bucks off, and gave me 6 tools. I was there for about 2 hours, but that was partly my fault because I did not have my reciept. I have to admit Lowes treated me right. Thanks to everyone for there input and help.

Comment

I'm glad Lowes was good to you. I've had good luck with them, but so far I've had my reciept. After you've run your new air compressor some, please let us know about it. As for wobble of the flywheel and/or fan, there are several things that might be wrong, but you did right by getting rid of it rather than trying to fix it. Now, if it were older, then trying to fix it would have most likely been the right choice. I think overall you're happy now and made out well.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              I'm glad Lowes was good to you. I've had good luck with them, but so far I've had my reciept. After you've run your new air compressor some, please let us know about it. As for wobble of the flywheel and/or fan, there are several things that might be wrong, but you did right by getting rid of it rather than trying to fix it. Now, if it were older, then trying to fix it would have most likely been the right choice. I think overall you're happy now and made out well.
              I just bought one of this same model (open box store display of discontinued 236005 model). I got it at <.5 original price. Turns out the pressure adjustment knob had been overtorqued, stripping out the aluminum it threads into. My plan right now is to simply tap new, larger threads into it and use a bolt or whatever is handy for pressure control. Does anyone know of a website where I could download a manual or at least a diagram?

Comment

Go to www.mastertoolrepair.com they have owners manuals ready for download as well as repair parts for most compressors. You will need model # for faster search criteria. Hope this helps.

Comment

Have had my 80 gallon Kobalt for 3 years. The air doesn't flow from it. Really puzzling! Please give me some solution to overcome this problem.
                  Vacuum Systems | Industrial Pumps |Centrifugal Pumps

Comment

Markham,

We need some further explanation I think. What do you mean that "The air doesn't flow from it." ? Are you saying that when the compressor is running that there is no compressed air flowing into the tank and therefore you don't see the pressure building up? If you open the drain valve on the tank, do you not feel any air escaping from the drain?

Are you even getting air into the cylinder... like what condition is the air filter in?

I can't imagine the unit running at that there isn't some kind of air flow in and out of the compressor, so give us some more details.

If you are really perplexed as to what is going on (or not going on in this case), perhaps you should seek a local service mechanic.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                    X