Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

    That is an issue that mainly applies to radial arm saw blades where its always recommended you go for a negative hook to reduce kickback. In that case you probably wouldn't want to use your table saw blades on the RAS. Blades designed for miter and table saws are usually the same and the vast majority share the same 5 to 15 degree hook so its perfectly safe to share them aslong as you use them for the appropriate cut on each tool. For example a Freud LU80 with a 2 degree hook will work as a great ultra fine finish blade on the miter saw and makes a great laminate and plywood cutting blade on the table saw, or for crosscutting on the table saw if needed. They retail for about $80 so it sure beats having to buy a 10" and 12" model.
    Last edited by Velosapien; 08-13-2007, 02:17 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

      Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      I agree with Gear Junkie on the blades. While you can use a blade made for a miter saw on a table saw for fine cross cutting, to use a blade with much hook angle which works fine on a table saw on your miter saw is dangerous. You really want good blades for both and not to mix them up.

      Hint: Buying the tools, machinery and accessories we want/need gets costly. Save up and buy quality and you won't soon hate what you bought, trash it (wasteful) and have to buy again.

      I should have been clearer there. I don't mean you should use your 80t crosscut blade to rip on the table saw. What I mean is that most blades can perform a certain task on each tool. Even if its not the same task. The majority of blades are designed to work on either machine given you use them for their intended usage on each machine.
      Last edited by Velosapien; 08-13-2007, 02:16 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

        I've read online some people use circular saws for the laminate cross cuts. Do you recommend a good blade for my Circular or get a Compound Miter Saw for the laminate cross cuts?

        These are the choices I've seen at local storeswhich seem to get good reviews.

        Non Sliding CMS for ~$300:
        - Dewalt DW716: 12” Dual Bevel
        - Ridgid MS1250LZ: 12” Single Bevel
        - Bosch 4212L: 12” Dual Bevel

        If push came to shove and I was convinced to buy a Slider, this Bosch got great a great review but I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra $130 for $430 total.
        - Bosch 4410L: 10” Sliding Dual Bevel

        Thoughts on these?
        Thanks again.
        Last edited by Gatordogs2; 08-13-2007, 07:15 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

          Originally posted by Gatordogs2 View Post
          I've read online some people use circular saws for the laminate cross cuts. Do you recommend a good blade for my Circular or get a Compound Miter Saw for the laminate cross cuts?

          These are the choices I've seen at local storeswhich seem to get good reviews.

          Non Sliding CMS for ~$300:
          - Dewalt DW716: 12” Dual Bevel
          - Ridgid MS1250LZ: 12” Single Bevel
          - Bosch 4212L: 12” Dual Bevel

          If push came to shove and I was convinced to buy a Slider, this Bosch got great a great review but I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra $130 for $430 total.
          - Bosch 4410L: 10” Sliding Dual Bevel

          Thoughts on these?
          Thanks again.
          Haven't you read the previous 2 pages?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

            Where are you buying the 4410L for $430? That is a steal. I ordered mine online for $530 shipping included and that was close to the cheapest I found.

            I was a little pissed that no stores had the 4410L in stock. I bought it based on the reviews and I couldnt be happier with it. The slider is every bit as tight as the LS1013, (which is commonly known as the best) and the miter detents are better by far. It as a decent fence, slide out table extensions, a work stop, and adjustable fine tuning on the miter for not so perfect angles.

            Make sure you have plenty of room for any 10" slider. They are considerably bigger and heavier than a non slider. I bought the Ridgid AC9944 MSUV for it also.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

              Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
              That is an issue that mainly applies to radial arm saw blades where its always recommended you go for a negative hook to reduce kickback. In that case you probably wouldn't want to use your table saw blades on the RAS. Blades designed for miter and table saws are usually the same and the vast majority share the same 5 to 15 degree hook so its perfectly safe to share them aslong as you use them for the appropriate cut on each tool. For example a Freud LU80 with a 2 degree hook will work as a great ultra fine finish blade on the miter saw and makes a great laminate and plywood cutting blade on the table saw, or for crosscutting on the table saw if needed. They retail for about $80 so it sure beats having to buy a 10" and 12" model.
              Let me see if I follow your train of thought. You cut a piece of wood on your miter saw to length. Then you take your blade out of the miter saw and install it in your table saw to rip the same piece to length? Seems like a lot a work to save 80 bucks. I looked on forrest web site. The table and miter saw blades do have different rakes. The negative rake also limits how fast you can feed the saw into the wood reducing binding the motor and making for a better cut. I'm sure lots of people use Freud with great results, try a forrest and you'll be impressed.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

                Ruudacguy - HD has the 4410L for $500. I have a 10% off Lowes coupon and Bosch is offering a $50 rebate for this saw until the end of the month.

                Gear Junkie - I did read what others wrote a few times....I wanted to know if its wise to use a circular saw for the cross cuts and listed different saws based on recs I've read.

                Based on reading peoples opinions, I ruled out the Ridgid (sorry Ridgid forum guys) and am learning towards these below. Maybe I should of put them in a poll to get answers.

                Non Sliding
                - Dewalt DW716: 12” Dual Bevel

                - Bosch 4212L: 12” Dual Bevel

                Not sure if it’s worth the extra $130 for:
                - Bosch 4410L: 10” Sliding Dual Bevel




                .

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

                  We are splitting hairs here and I think we all know better than that. Most miter saw blades and table saw blades are essentially the same. Some specific models are better optimized for certain applications on one of the tools but those are usually the exception rather than the rule. A quick browse at the lineups of pretty much every single blade manufacturer will confirm this. A crosscut blade for a miter saw is pretty much the same blade for crosscutting on a table saw. Sometimes one or the other tool is better for making a specific cut and its worth to switch the blade if need be. Hardly worth stocking dual blades for each of those rare occasions. Like I mentioned it's also practical in cases where the same blade accomplishes different tasks. I use the same blade for crosscutting on the MS and clean cutting ply on the TS. I will rarely be using both tools at the same time and I'd rather not spend more money on a repeat blade if I can help it. If I were in a production enviroment I would obviously do it but most of us don't have the money to throw away. Being able to share blades when you would have to buy the SAME blade for the TS is highly convenient and a lot easier on the wallet.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

                    Originally posted by Gatordogs2 View Post
                    Ruudacguy - HD has the 4410L for $500. I have a 10% off Lowes coupon and Bosch is offering a $50 rebate for this saw until the end of the month.

                    Gear Junkie - I did read what others wrote a few times....I wanted to know if its wise to use a circular saw for the cross cuts and listed different saws based on recs I've read.

                    Based on reading peoples opinions, I ruled out the Ridgid (sorry Ridgid forum guys) and am learning towards these below. Maybe I should of put them in a poll to get answers.

                    Non Sliding
                    - Dewalt DW716: 12” Dual Bevel

                    - Bosch 4212L: 12” Dual Bevel

                    Not sure if it’s worth the extra $130 for:
                    - Bosch 4410L: 10” Sliding Dual Bevel

                    .
                    You might want to add the Makita LS1013 to that list. You should be able to find it at HD for $499.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

                      Originally posted by Gatordogs2 View Post
                      Ruudacguy - HD has the 4410L for $500. I have a 10% off Lowes coupon and Bosch is offering a $50 rebate for this saw until the end of the month.

                      Gear Junkie - I did read what others wrote a few times....I wanted to know if its wise to use a circular saw for the cross cuts and listed different saws based on recs I've read.

                      Based on reading peoples opinions, I ruled out the Ridgid (sorry Ridgid forum guys) and am learning towards these below. Maybe I should of put them in a poll to get answers.

                      Non Sliding
                      - Dewalt DW716: 12” Dual Bevel
                      - Bosch 4212L: 12” Dual Bevel

                      Not sure if it’s worth the extra $130 for:
                      - Bosch 4410L: 10” Sliding Dual Bevel
                      Right now HD online is offering the 4410L for 495 with free shipping. They werent doing that when I bought mine from Max Tools. Somebody better jump on that deal. The $50 rebate which I havent received yet is good on saws purchased from July 1 to August 31.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

                        Check out this deal, Makita LS1013FL.
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

                          Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                          You might want to add the Makita LS1013 to that list. You should be able to find it at HD for $499.
                          Now that's something I can agree with! The blade discussion however, we both have our different views and we should leave it at that.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

                            For what this is worth the thread starter said he has a $300 limit. For that price I would go with a Dewalt DW715 and then save up for a good blade or two and also think about upgrading to a high end sliding miter saw later on. Chances are the DW715 may be all he needs for a good long time. If he can save up for a good 10 inch slider then by all means go for one.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

                              Actually I would jump on that makita slider on amazon before the sale ends. Its $399 and already comes with a very high quality blade so no replacement needed. The Dewalt comes with one of those midrange construction blades which aren't that bad (I have one) but it's not the blade of choice for fine finishing. A quality 12" blade will probably bump the price to closer to $400 anyway. Otherwise I'd go with the Dewalt as well.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

                                Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                                Actually I would jump on that makita slider on amazon before the sale ends. Its $399 and already comes with a very high quality blade so no replacement needed. The Dewalt comes with one of those midrange construction blades which aren't that bad (I have one) but it's not the blade of choice for fine finishing. A quality 12" blade will probably bump the price to closer to $400 anyway. Otherwise I'd go with the Dewalt as well.
                                Good thinking and I just may have to get one of them for myself. I don't really need a new miter saw, but I do like the LS1013 and having used one, I just may grab at it. First I'm going to contact the Makita service center in my area and ask if they know of anything great in the workings. I can wait and would rather get a really great one rather than buy this and later wish I haden't. As a first good miter saw for someone, I can't see any better deals out there.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X