Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

Technically the FL variant is actually Makita's new model. It's still listed as new in their page. I would not expect anything new from them any time soon. The 1013 has remained mainly unchanged for like 10 years other the adding dust collection, the flourescent lamp and most recently the laser.
    The 70t blade it brings cuts almost indistinguishable from my high end 80t Freud blade so that's a real plus in that they don't cut corners on the stock blade.

Comment

I'm close to making my SCMS purchase, either the Bosch 4410L or Makita LS1013FL. Still having a tough time deciding since so many people say great things about each...(thanks for the feedback!)

I went to look at buying a Ridgid MSUV from someone a few blocks away in anticpation of the saw. This retired gentleman has a barely used Ridgid MS1290LZ with the Ridgid MSUV for $330 total. It's 2 years old but only used for some ~20 small bird houses and seems to run great.

Is this a good buy for a 12" SCMS and MSUV?
      or is this Miter saw no good?

Comment

This is one that I would like to both see in person and try out some. It may be great or it may be junk. I have yet to see any good reviews (by professionals) on it so far. When I asked several dealers they didn't have much to say as they haven't sold many of this model. They think it may be a nice sleeper model that has not really taken off. I don't want to put down my $$$ and then find out the hard way it's a junker. As for Bosch and Makita, I really think both are pretty good and there was one by Delta that's a limited production real industrial miter saw I have heard was really great but only a few select dealers ever got them in.

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192210_192137

Gater, Your 2 choices that you posted the Bosch and the Makita should serve you well. With Ridgid miter saws there have been too many postings about design defects. This one may be fine and then again it might be a big headache for you to deal with. The MSUV is great. Maybe you can buy both, remove the MS1290LZ and sell it. I think if you're still wanting to watch spending I would grab one of the 2 saws and wait on the MSUV. Maybe you can put down a small deposit and ask if he would sell the saw by itself.

With a little work, the Makita can be fitted to the MSUV.
        Last edited by Woussko; 08-14-2007, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Hi Everyone. New member here. Thanks to everyone for there comments on these miter saws. After reading these & other reviews, I purchased the Makita LS1013FL on Amazon for 399.00. Should receive in on Thursday. My first project will be to install laminate flooring & shoe molding in my office. From what I've read, this saw should be perfect for this job. I am planning to get the Ridgid MSUV as a base for the LS1013FL. Woussko, you mentioned that it takes a little work to get the Makita to fit on the MSUV. Can you explain? I thought most miter saws would be an easy fit for the MSUV.

Again thanks to everyone the information. I'm sure I'll have more questions when I dig in.

CMan

Comment

Originally posted by CManinLa View Post
            Hi Everyone. New member here. Thanks to everyone for there comments on these miter saws. After reading these & other reviews, I purchased the Makita LS1013FL on Amazon for 399.00. Should receive in on Thursday. My first project will be to install laminate flooring & shoe molding in my office. From what I've read, this saw should be perfect for this job. I am planning to get the Ridgid MSUV as a base for the LS1013FL. Woussko, you mentioned that it takes a little work to get the Makita to fit on the MSUV. Can you explain? I thought most miter saws would be an easy fit for the MSUV.

Again thanks to everyone the information. I'm sure I'll have more questions when I dig in.

CMan
            The old version of the MSUV required you to drill new holes for the moutning points on the makita. The new version I believe works similar to other carts where the mounting system adjusts to fit any kind of mounting pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              This is one that I would like to both see in person and try out some. It may be great or it may be junk. I have yet to see any good reviews (by professionals) on it so far. When I asked several dealers they didn't have much to say as they haven't sold many of this model. They think it may be a nice sleeper model that has not really taken off. I don't want to put down my $$$ and then find out the hard way it's a junker. As for Bosch and Makita, I really think both are pretty good and there was one by Delta that's a limited production real industrial miter saw I have heard was really great but only a few select dealers ever got them in.

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192210_192137

There's quite a few favorable reviews for it on Amazon but none of them are really in depth. They seem to just add up to "I own the saw and like it". It's only is single bevel obviously as a result of going with a direct drive motor. I think for a slider it would be nice to have dual bevel capability. The turn table is definately too small for my tastes. I've done a lot of 10" and 12" wide cutting on my makita and a large front table really helps a lot in stabilizing the workpiece and holding it flat for precise cutting. On the other hand the fence is nice.
              Last edited by Velosapien; 08-15-2007, 12:45 AM.

Comment

If Makita would upgrade their fence, I would grab one up fast. As for going with a 12 inch sliding compound, I really can't see it for my needs. I would then start trying to find space for a good radial arm saw and be done with it. Actually I think I'll keep what I have and put the $$$ elsewhere for now. That's me and what works for Woussko won't work for other people if I even am a person. Most think of me as a sicko howling hound that needs a one way trip to the pound.

Comment

Thanks Velosapien for the comments on mounting the Makita to the MSUV. I downloaded the Owner's Manual for the MSUV & it shows how to mount if the holes on the miter saw don't line up. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have it mounted & can provide positive feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by CManinLa View Post
                    Thanks Velosapien for the comments on mounting the Makita to the MSUV. I downloaded the Owner's Manual for the MSUV & it shows how to mount if the holes on the miter saw don't line up. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have it mounted & can provide positive feedback.

You should be real happy with that combination. The first MSUV I purchased was a piece of junk. It was all scratched up, beat up, and the sliding extensions were screwed up. I took it back to HD, showed them what was wrong, and they exchanged it for me. The second one was alot better and I am real happy with it. My only complaint is the legs are kinda wobbly. It took about a half hour to put it together and get my 4410L mounted.

Comment

Yeah, you'll be happy to have the saw on the MSUV. It makes a huge difference as far as capability (extension arms), portability, and physical convenience (at waist height, instead of on the ground or inside the garage).

Congrats! That Makita is a sweet piece of machinery.

Comment

Got the AC9944 MS-UV today on my lunch hour. Just put it together & it's waiting for my new Makita 1013 to arrive. Supposed to get it tomorrow. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. Hope it arrives as scheduled.

Comment

Well, the Makita LS1013 arrived today as planned. Set it up & installed it on the Ridgid AC9944 MS-UV. One hell of a portable miter saw. Much more saw than I need but it is sweet. Thanks to everyone for providing feedback on the subject.

Cman
                          Attached Files

Comment

I bought the 10" Ridgid compund miter, would have rather had a 12" dual bevel with no laser, laser doesnt do me any good if i am doing precision stuff, although if you get used to the variance it can help seeing where the far side of a compund cut will land. But the upside on the dual bevel means no flipping wood around, other than minding for the tear out edge. It ends up being a lot easier to bend my noodle around the math.

The 10" Ridgid also wont square up, ever. If I am square on the crosscut it wont bevel square, I wonder if the lifetime warranty might help....?

Comment

Well, it came down to the final home stretch and the winner is.......Bosch. I bought the Bosch 4410L along with the Ridgid MSUV. Came pretty close to buying the Makita 1013FL but felt more comfortable using the Bosch.

Can't wait until I get my SCMS...I feel like a kid at Christmas waiting to open the presents.

Thanks for everyones advice.

Comment

Gator

Good investment

Now please save up for a good (real good) blade or two for it. Then you'll really be cutting wood.

Comment

Working...
                                X