X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 Volt batteries

I got 24 volt lxi combo kit about a year ago and just had my batteries replaced under the warranty because charger indicated they were defective
    i charged the new batteries and went to use them and they both only lasted about 3 min in drill and just stopped, power indicators on both batteries showed no juice dose it require a few charging cycles to get these batteries going thanks for reply

Re: 24 Volt batteries

There have been many complaints of the same issue you are describing by many others and myself. The best thing to do is have them serviced again. Try the battery in the circular and recip. saws and if you have the same problem, then it is the battery. If not, it's the drill, possibly the trigger.

P.S. what is the turn around time for service?
    Last edited by onlycordless; 08-14-2007, 03:03 PM.
    http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

how can it be the drill if the power indicator is not lighting up?

Comment

I have heard of the drill drawing too much current and the battery shutting down. That is why you test the battery in another tool. Sounds like the battery, however, it is worth a shot rather than waiting for repair.

Keep in mind lithium is different than other technologies.

Lithium-ion circuits
        One unique feature of Li-Ion battery packs is their protection circuits. These circuits extend battery life by maintaining cell balance when in use and recharging, providing added battery pack life, “The electronics make sure all the cells work together as a team and that one isn’t pushed harder than the others.”

The electronics also ensure that the cells receive the same amount of power when recharging.

“The reason lithium-ion batteries have a protection circuit is actually the downfall of lithium-ion,” Wilkison says. NiCad and NiMH power tools do not require a computer circuit to manage the heat. With these types of batteries, design engineers can control heat in other ways, such as through tool design.

“The purpose of the electronic circuitry is to limit the amount of power that goes from the battery to the motor,” “It’s not an added feature but a requirement to be able to use those tools. It protects users from severely damaging the battery and making it inoperable in just one or two uses.”
        If tool manufacturers could produce a lithium-ion cordless tool without the protection circuit, they would, he says, because adding it increases manufacturing costs.

http://www.facilitiesnet.com/ms/article.asp?id=3001&keywords=power%20tools,%20batt ery full article
        Last edited by onlycordless; 08-14-2007, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Protection circuitry ia also essential on Lithium Ion because they tend to go boom if overloaded/overheated. The problem with the Ridgid batteries is it seems some of them had the protection circuitry set to trip way too easily.

Comment

This is what happens if a Lithium Ion battery overheats:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeWq6rWzChw&eurl=

Comment

Originally posted by staab29 View Post
              how can it be the drill if the power indicator is not lighting up?
              An open short on the switch or in the motor that hasn't progressed to the point where the drill won't run could be causing the batteries to drain at an accellerated rate.

Cheese!

Comment

Just purchased the top of the line Ridgid 24 hammerdrill...great product save for one battery that never completed charging and died after two long seconds!

The other is great.

I will exchange it tomorrow at HD.

So far I have four Ridgid cordless tools and this is the first lemon.

The drill has gobs of torque and overall quality is very good,my second favorite drill after my 36V DeWalt.

Comment

FComplete package changed at HD,this one both cells work A1,very happy with the big Ridgid drill. Gobs of torque,very high quality and my new fave cordless,the 36Volt DeWalt has a serious competitor.

Comment

Originally posted by MrToolman View Post
                    FComplete package changed at HD,this one both cells work A1,very happy with the big Ridgid drill. Gobs of torque,very high quality and my new fave cordless,the 36Volt DeWalt has a serious competitor.
                    I am thinking of purchasing the DEWALT 36 volt

I have the RIDGID 24 volt set and it is great!
                    what are the pros and cons of the dewalt 36 volt?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post

thanks
                      If you have the 24v kit and it you don't feel they are lacking in any power or there is no problem you can't deal with I would keep them. The 36v stuff is really nice though. They are the first cordless tools I've ever seen that can actually compare directly and in some cases even outclass corded tools. They do have some advantages such as a slightly bigger tool lineup thats likely to keep expanding. They are already widely available. Batteries are easy to find and there have been no unusual problems reported with them. They are actually quite compact which is one of the most common misconceptions about them. Most are identical to the 18v tools in size and design except for the slightly longer battery. The drill is a bit larger though. They also have the only worthwhile full size 7 1/4" circular saw. I can't really think of any significant drawback other than they are quite a bit more expensive but prices usually keep dropping.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                        If you have the 24v kit and it you don't feel they are lacking in any power or there is no problem you can't deal with I would keep them. The 36v stuff is really nice though. They are the first cordless tools I've ever seen that can actually compare directly and in some cases even outclass corded tools. They do have some advantages such as a slightly bigger tool lineup thats likely to keep expanding. They are already widely available. Batteries are easy to find and there have been no unusual problems reported with them. They are actually quite compact which is one of the most common misconceptions about them. Most are identical to the 18v tools in size and design except for the slightly longer battery. The drill is a bit larger though. They also have the only worthwhile full size 7 1/4" circular saw. I can't really think of any significant drawback other than they are quite a bit more expensive but prices usually keep dropping.

thanks velosapian,

I Have done some compaisons of battery, size and weight at home depot, however, I have not tried the 36 volt DEWALT in the real world. One thing that stood out to me is the amp hour of the batteries,

RIDGID-3.0 AMP HOUR
                        DEWALT-2.2 AMP HOUR(excellent battery though with nanophosphate)

However, at 36 volts, runtime should almost identical to the RIDGID 24 volts.
                        Again, this is not a real world test, just on paper, runtime should be pretty much equal.

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post

thanks
                          The 36V DeWalt power tools have slightly more power,the motors used have more max output(watts). Runtime,about the same as the Ridgid 24V battery has more capacity,the 36V having extra voltage in the end both would even out.

With the 36V battery packs the amp draw is lesser for the same load on the motor.

Comment

Something to think about, where are you going to use the tools? When I did commercial HVAC, all the different crews ran with 18 volt dewalts. If you were on a manlift, there would be anyone who could throw you a battery until you came down. If you're the only one running a particular type of tool, better make sure every battery is charged.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              Something to think about, where are you going to use the tools? When I did commercial HVAC, all the different crews ran with 18 volt dewalts. If you were on a manlift, there would be anyone who could throw you a battery until you came down. If you're the only one running a particular type of tool, better make sure every battery is charged.
                              Good point about the brand and voltage, since I am the only one with lithium. However, the RIDGID 24 volt tools are MAXSELECT. But your right, DEWALT is everywhere and on every job site. Talk about market saturation.

I currently have 2, 24 volt 4 piece combo sets, the jig saw and the impact driver for cordless tools. That is 10 tools, however, if you don't count the lights, it is eight Tools with 4 batteries. Pretty good shape, for me anyway.
                              Last edited by onlycordless; 08-23-2007, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X