Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ridgid Max Select XLi or Milwaukee V18 combo kit?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Max Select XLi or Milwaukee V18 combo kit?

Please try some of these in your new Dewalt Jigsaw. I really think you'll be glad you did. Look for the ones with a progressive tooth design.

http://www.boschtools.com/accessorie...176309&G=54785

http://www.boschtools.com/accessorie...176309&G=54783

Comment

Well as far as power, I would expect the 36v grinder is at least on par most 4 1/2" inch corded ones. I suppose the test would be to try it, cutting some big rebar or heavy steel and really pushing it vs. a corded model of the same size. I'm betting it will hold its own. Anyone can spin the blade at 10,000 RPM, that's just a question of gearing. But can it deliver is another question.

By the way, Milwaukee released a V28 grinder on their European site, that spins at 9,000 RPM. Will be interesting to see if it makes its way to the North American market. Maybe some reviews will pop up on that one.

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
      I've used the jigsaw a bit now and can't really tell any perceptible difference in performance between the corded one, even if its 300 spm slower. There is definately no bogging down even cutting curves in a 2X piece. The nice touch is they put an electric brake on it. That should cut down on the amount of blades I bust because I lift the saw too quickly after a cut and the blade bangs into the workpiece
      I think for the grinder or "cut of tool" they just kept the rpm the same in order to increase the torque. It won't be much good as a grinder but should be great for cutting. The Makita 18v does 10,000 rpm but it binds real easy. Even at 36v it would improve but will be nowhere near a corded grinder at 10,000 rpm.

Comment

Let's say that your corded 4-1/2" angle grinder is rated at 10,000 RPM. That's under NO load (in most cases). Working it will slow down a good bit. What gets work done is both the spindle speed and torque. I have a pretty good feeling the DeWalt 36 Volt grinder will work pretty well as long as it's not forced. Give it a little time and I bet you'll be blown away by what it can do. Actually there are some corded models that are variable speed. I can think of one made over in Germany rated as a 125mm (5 inch here) that runs 3000 - 10000 RPM with electronic speed control. Now if it just weren't so costly, I might get one of them. I'm pretty sure Milwaukee has a variable speed angle grinder, but their web site is down for now. I'll check it again later and may well update this posting below soon.

Update: Here is some info on the Milwaukee 5 inch Angle Grinder (corded) with variable speed.

The 6156-20 Super Mag 5 inch 12 amp grinder offers extra heavy duty grinding capability in a compact body grip ergonomic design. This tool offers variable speed control 4000-11,000 RPM allowing the operator more control. Electronic feedback maintains speed and torque under load conditions.
        Last edited by Woussko; 08-19-2007, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          Please try some of these in your new Dewalt Jigsaw. I really think you'll be glad you did. Look for the ones with a progressive tooth design.

http://www.boschtools.com/accessorie...176309&G=54785

http://www.boschtools.com/accessorie...176309&G=54783

Already have a huge assortment of Bosch blades A jigsaw just wouldn't be right without them. I also noticed the free blades that come with the Dewalt jigsaw appear to be Bosch blades with no branding on them. They are 100% identical to some of the Bosch blades I have.

Comment

It will depend on how powerful they made the motor. Based on my experience with the other tools and how they perform, I'm guessing it will hold its own in terms of cutting power against a corded 4 1/2 incher. Especially with the increase in voltage. I've always heard (but never used) the 18V grinders tend to be underpowered. But, as we know, it depends on what tool you are comparing to because there are some whimpy corded models as well as very powerful corded models.

I find it strange that DeWalt only did their "UWO" ratings for the drills. Why would they not continue to do the same for the other tools?

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            I have a pretty good feeling the DeWalt 36 Volt grinder will work pretty well as long as it's not forced. Give it a little time and I bet you'll be blown away by what it can do. Actually there are some corded models that are variable speed. I can think of one made over in Germany rated as a 125mm (5 inch here) that runs 3000 - 10000 RPM with electronic speed control. Now if it just weren't so costly, I might get one of them. I'm pretty sure Milwaukee has a variable speed angle grinder, but their web site is down for now. I'll check it again later and may well update this posting below soon.

Update: Here is some info on the Milwaukee 5 inch Angle Grinder (corded) with variable speed.

The 6156-20 Super Mag 5 inch 12 amp grinder offers extra heavy duty grinding capability in a compact body grip ergonomic design. This tool offers variable speed control 4000-11,000 RPM allowing the operator more control. Electronic feedback maintains speed and torque under load conditions.

Comment

I have the Makita 18v grinder and while it isn't that powerful it will get the job done if you handle it with some finese. Just let the tool do the cutting and don't push down on it. At 36v it should perform very respectably. It's come in really handy to cut rebar, bolts, tubing and similar stuff. Makita put in a pair of warning leds that start blinking when the motor is about to stall so you can ease off on the pressure. If it still stalls an automatic kill switch kicks in and stops the tool. Its very important as it would be incredibly easy to burn the tool out without it. Dewalt doesn't advertise any such feature which leads me to believe the torque on theirs is significantly higher to keep it from stalling, hence the 6,500 rpm rate. Otherwise their repair shops are likely to be full of cordless grinders with fried motors.
              They don't advertise the UWO rating on all their tools yet but I just go to their UK site, www.dewalt.co.uk and they have the watt output of every single tool. There are some discrepancies compared to the numbers given on some tools on the US site which leads me to believe they have somewhat different testing methods or there are slight variations on some of the cordless tools. Corded tools might be different becase of the 220v standard.
              Last edited by Velosapien; 08-19-2007, 07:33 PM.

Comment

According to Dewalts UK site, the 36v jigsaw has a power output of 550 watts. The corded DW331 is rated at 445 watts.

Comment

Makita VS Ridgid,I take the 24V Ridgid line over the Makita 18V lineup any day.

Besides the higher weight of the Ridgid tools all is in favor of Ridgid.

More power,be it torque,cutting,durability and warranty.

I have the LXT 18V Makita top of the line drill,impact driver,circular saw and the sawall. Good lightweight tools,power to weight ratio is great.

The 24V Ridgid lineup..I have the drill,the circular saw and the sawall. More power,clearly more power and for tougher jobs a definite plus.

Comment

It's funny you brought that up. The other day I had checked the UK site for the DC415 grinder. It's not listed on their main site, but you can find the UK version of the manual for it in the service/support section. I don't know if you can link to it from here, but here's the summary:

DC415 (36V grinder/cut off) 815 Watts
                    DC410 (18V grinder/cut off) 350 Watts

D28135K (125mm, 5" corded grinder) 680 Watts

The 5" grinder appears to be very similar to some of the 4 1/2 / 5" models listen on the NA site, probably the only difference is that it's 220V

So there you have it. The 36V'er outshines their 5 inch angle grinder according to the power output spec.

True this is only as good as the paper it's printed on, so a real world test remains to be seen. But judging by the performance of the other tools, there should be no reason to doubt it.

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                    According to Dewalts UK site, the 36v jigsaw has a power output of 550 watts. The corded DW331 is rated at 445 watts.

Comment

Boy am I fixin to step in it!!!!!!

For a homeowner, I would recommend that he purchase a good cordless drill/driver(I would get the driver since he mentioned a deck) set and buy a decent corded circular saw.

Just my 2 cents, but I think its ridiculous for the average homeowner to purchase a cordless circular saw and /or sawzall(yeah I know thats a generic name for milwaukee, but I have had too many beers and dont want to try and speell reciprocating, heck I may have got it right.

Anyway, my two cents worth.

Comment

Wow, I love that question. I've used the milwaukee drill that you mentioned and very impressed. The best drill I ever used. But the ridgid carries a better warrentee doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Chevss View Post
                          Wow, I love that question. I've used the milwaukee drill that you mentioned and very impressed. The best drill I ever used. But the ridgid carries a better warrentee doesn't it?
                          Chevss,

Warrentee is actually spelt "warranty". Just an FYI.

And I thought Biscuit was having a tough time speeling.

Comment

Working...
                          X