Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ridgid Max Select XLi or Milwaukee V18 combo kit?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Max Select XLi or Milwaukee V18 combo kit?

Hi, I'm a new member and I'm looking at buying my first set of tools. I've got a mis-match of hand me downs which I need to replace as they are unable to keep up with the tasks I've got to do. I've been doing renovations on my new old house and so need at least a quality drill and circular saw for all sorts of projects including building a shed and repairing a deck and shed. A combo kit seems to be the best bet and currently, my local HD is carrying over a few sale prices on combo kits from their flyer a few weeks ago. The choices are either a Ridgid Max Select 4-Tool XLi 24V lithium ion kit or a Milaukee 4-tool V18 lithium ion kit. Both kits have the same 4 tools (circular saw, reciprocating saw, hammer drill and flashight) same accessories (2 batteries and 1 hour charger) and are the same price - $489 Canadian. The only difference I can see is that the Milwaukee comes in a hard case and the Ridgid has a carry bag. Both kits seem like good deals, so I'd really appreciate any comments, feedback, recommendations that anyone has on which kit to buy. Thanks.

Re: Ridgid Max Select XLi or Milwaukee V18 combo kit?

Why not Dewalt? That's what I use and I love it. Not a single complaint.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Scratch my comment, I see you want lithium ion. In this case what about Makita?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Short answer - price.

I've been told Li Ion is a better choice than NiMH or NiCad. Also, with the sale prices these Li Ion kits are cheaper than comparable NiMH and NiCad kits.

As for Dewalt and Makita - I've tried both and like them but they cost more and I'm not sure if the extra cost is worth it. The Dewalt XRP 18 volt tool kit is about $100 more a Makita kit would be about $150-$200 more.
        Last edited by burnaby; 08-14-2007, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I think it depends on which tools you're talking about. Around here, the Makita LXT stuff is more expensive than the DeWalt XRP, because XRP is old NiCad technology where LXT is the newer technology. So they lowered the prices to compete.

DeWalt though is coming out with Li Ion 18V (this fall I understand) and the batteries work in all the old NiCad tools. DeWalt, from what I understand, is the more powerful set as I've heard that the new Makita stuff isn't that great in the power department. Not bad, but not the best.

Comment

Hey...just read your posts. If I may add my two cents... I would go with the RIDGID 24v set. HANDS DOWN! These are the best cordless tools I have ever used! I am a contractor so I really use my tools...REALLY USE THEM. Search through all of the posts I have made on here and you will see. I have owned almost all of the major brands...the RIDGID set outperforms them all.
            Let me know if you have any questions...I would be glad to help!
            Nick

Comment

If you need or will need lots of different cordless tools from one brand and that can all use the same battery, I would hold off and see what Dewalt comes up with. Currently their 18 Volt Ni-Cad series has way more selection then the others. When the convert over to Li-Ion things will be wild. If you can stand paying more, then look at everything out there, but keep in mind there are changes all the time. Makita may well bring out more powerful Li-Ion batteries and tools before long. With TTI making Milwaukee, Ridgid and Ryobi, I have little doubt they have some new tools in the making. Bosch is another to watch. They are big and will not let the others blast them. I'm sure they have new tools coming along too.

Comment

Originally posted by burnaby View Post
                Short answer - price.

I've been told Li Ion is a better choice than NiMH or NiCad. Also, with the sale prices these Li Ion kits are cheaper than comparable NiMH and NiCad kits.

As for Dewalt and Makita - I've tried both and like them but they cost more and I'm not sure if the extra cost is worth it. The Dewalt XRP 18 volt tool kit is about $100 more a Makita kit would be about $150-$200 more.
                Lithium Ion is a better overall but if I had no tools and had only one 18v kit to pick I would go with Dewalt 18v XRP tools. Even with NiCD batteries I still find it to be the overall best 18v group. Even for NiCD their runtime is almost as good as some Lithium Ion 18v tools, many of which are overrated in my opinion. I have a Makita LXT group and a lot of the tools don't actually run that much longer and some are outright underpowered.

Between the 18v V18 and 24v ridgid, I would go with the Ridgid. More powerful tools and a better deal overall. I do have some gripes about Ridgids handling of the 24v group like still not selling individual batteries but I'd still go with them.

Comment

I remember quite a while ago there was a problem with the Milwaukee NiCad batteries. People were saying they would die within a year or so regardless of how they were used heavy or not. Milwaukee even admitted to some bad quality cells or something like that, if memory serves me correct.

Comment

Milwaukee issued a major recall for some of it's 14.4 and 18 Volt Ni-Cad batteries. This does not apply to the V18 Li-Ion batteries.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. Reading through them and other posts, I realize there's few more factors I should take into account. I've also been told to hold off on my purchase, if possible, as new tools/kits are on the way from a few of the major manufacturers and that there will likely be some even better sales later in the year.

Comment

yep, XRP is still the way to go if you're going with 18V. Lithium ion or not. It will be interesting to see though if their new lithium batteries have the same guts that these do.

By the way, how are you making out with your 36V stuff? Did you get the circular saw yet?

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                        Even with NiCD batteries I still find it to be the overall best 18v group. Even for NiCD their runtime is almost as good as some Lithium Ion 18v tools, many of which are overrated in my opinion. I have a Makita LXT group and a lot of the tools don't actually run that much longer and some are outright underpowered.

Comment

Love the 36v tools! I've been using the reciprocating saw quite a lot and I'm still blown away with its power and how long it runs on a charge. The hammerdrill has also been awesome. It feels a lot lighter than it actually is. I've been searching ebay for the circular saw but lately they've only had them available in combo only with batteries. I'll strike when I find the bare tool for a good price. I did get the 36v jigsaw, recieved it today actually. Just did a few test cuts on some 2X4 and it seems to at the very least keep up, and maybe even a little faster than my corded DW331 which is basically the same saw. I'm hoping this will make my life easier. I've been doing a boat overhaul with a friend which requires tons of curving cuts on full 4X8 sheets of marine ply. Its driving me nuts to manuever around a full sheet of plywood trying to stay on the cutting line while at the same time keeping the cord from snagging at every turn and corner! I think I'm also going to get the grinder if I get a chance.

Comment

Cool, you got the jigsaw! Nice to hear your comments. I've been eyeing that one too for a while but kind of gone back and forth on buying it. I was curious about the blade SPM being 2700 vs. the 3000 that a lot of them are, but then again high SPM isn't everything if they slow down under load. Nothing beats a jigsaw for making curved cuts or getting in some tight spaces.

Yeah, the grinder looks very interesting too. I was a bit surprised they didn't up the RPM from the 18V model, maybe closer to 10,000, but again they call it a cut-off tool so I guess it's geared more for higher torque.

Comment

I've used the jigsaw a bit now and can't really tell any perceptible difference in performance between the corded one, even if its 300 spm slower. There is definately no bogging down even cutting curves in a 2X piece. The nice touch is they put an electric brake on it. That should cut down on the amount of blades I bust because I lift the saw too quickly after a cut and the blade bangs into the workpiece
                              I think for the grinder or "cut of tool" they just kept the rpm the same in order to increase the torque. It won't be much good as a grinder but should be great for cutting. The Makita 18v does 10,000 rpm but it binds real easy. Even at 36v it would improve but will be nowhere near a corded grinder at 10,000 rpm.

Comment

Working...
                              X