X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ridgid 14.4v problem?

I just purchased a new 14.4v 1/2" Ridgid drill. On speed #2, when you let off the trigger it "clicks" about 3 times while slowing down . Is this normal? or is their something internal wrong? Thanks in advance, Shane

Re: New Ridgid 14.4v problem?

What clicks 3 times when you let go? The trigger? the spindle? Is it a ratcheting like sound on the chuck just before it stops?

Comment

It is a grinding like click that feels as if it is coming from between the chuck and trigger, almost sounds like gears to me. It otherwise operates real smooth, it is just when thr drill is "braking" itself to a stop it makes the noise. Thanks for the reply, Shane

Comment

I wonder if it's the clutch slipping. The spindle stops fast but the chucks keeps spinning for a bit longer. Think of if you are driving screws only in reverse. Check the settings and see if you can make a change. Also, it's a good idea to normally let off the trigger slowly rather than fast. Bring the drill up to speed and back to a stop over a few seconds rather than real quickly. If you need the drill to stop fast, then let go of the trigger.

Try to think of driving your car and slamming the brakes on. Normally you wouldn't do that so why not try slowing your tools down slowly. In addition normally you don't floor the accellerator (gas). Easy does it helps save the motor and gears.
        Last edited by Woussko; 08-16-2007, 11:10 PM.

Comment

OK, that sounds like its just the spindle lock kicking in. Its what keeps the chuck from spinning when you tighten the chuck. It should usually sound somewhat like a quick ratcheting sound.

Comment

Thanks,Velosapien

Comment

Working...
            X