X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650, what's this for

I bought a 1 year old used 3650. We had to take it apart to get it out of his basement and I'm now in the process of putting it back together.

I'm going through the directions and I notice after they have me attach the rail to the table, there are directions on attaching a "spacer bar." I don't see this spacer bar anywhere and I don't remember taking it off the saw. It's also hard to tell on the directions exactly where it is located and what it does. Can anyone fill me in on this thing.

Help and Thanks,
    Andy

Re: TS3650, what's this for

Hi Andy,

The spacer bar is to maintain the distance (spacing) between the rails in the area where they extend out beyond the right hand wing. If you have the directions (if not you can download a PDF copy off the RIDGID site) you should see the bar, some brass shim washers (four or five as I remember), and a couple clamps with screws.

Without going back to read the manual the bar is placed out near the end of the rails and you then run the fence out and check if the fence clamps down as tight as it does when positioned over the table where the rails are fully supported. If not you adjust the rail spread using the brass shims to achieve the required spacing.

If the person you bought the TS from had a router table mounted to the right of the RH extension wing then they most likely removed the spacer bar because it would interfere with the router table.

You could do one of 4 things:

1. Contact the seller and see if they still have the spacer bar and hardware.

2. Contact RIDGID Parts and order the missing parts.

3. Forget it and go on without the spacer.

4. Build your own spacer or install a router table extension. Whether you plan to use a router on there or not it will still give the required support and add real estate to your table top.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The spacer bar is the metal rod that mounts to the front and real rails to the right of the right side wing. It's function is to ensure that the front and rear rails stay parallel to each other.

EDIT: Man, beaten by Bob again.
      Last edited by BadgerDave; 08-16-2007, 08:26 PM. Reason: Bob types really fast.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Okay, I understand where it goes and if I understand correctly when the fence is clamped down (if the fence was extended past the table) it would prevent the clamping motion of the fence from flexing the rails. If so, I could just make something to span that distance and keep them from deflecting, which is what you meant by making my own. Correct???

Thanks,
        Andy

Comment

Yep, you got the idea.

If your friend does not have it, just make you own as others have suggested. But you will need it if you are going to set the fence out past the cast iron table.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            The spacer bar is the metal rod that mounts to the front and real rails to the right of the right side wing. It's function is to ensure that the front and rear rails stay parallel to each other.

EDIT: Man, beaten by Bob again.
            Sorry Dave, but you are #1 and I am 1000 posts behind you. I heard a rumor that the top two posters on 12/31/07 get their pick of any RIDGID power tool.

PS: This post gets me one closer.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

I just ordered one. They were only $10 +shipping.

Comment

Can't beat that price. Is this for the bar, the clamps w/bolts, and the shim washers?

Here is a link to the parts sheet/assembly diagram in PDF format;
                http://home.comcast.net/~sparc/woodw..._Sheet_eng.pdf

Go to pages 14 & 15 and you should see the rail assembly along with the support rod as they call it.

11 HU140102 NYLOK SET SCREW (10-32 x 7/16 in.) .................................................. ...............2
                12 TH100055 SUPPORT ROD PLATE .................................................. .....................................2
                13 TH100054 SUPPORT ROD .................................................. ..............................................1

There is not part number for the shims so they either come with the rod or don't have a part no. which would seem strange as their use is discussed in the manual during setup of the saw.

Last edited by Bob D.; 08-19-2007, 07:57 AM. Reason: added part numbers
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Working...
                X