X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Miter Saw Blues.

I need help, I have the Ridgid 10" miter saw with the laser.

If I align everything so the blade is perfectly 90 to the fence with the miter set at 0 and the bevel set at 0, i will get a square crosscut.

If i then tilt the blade over to 45 and make a cut, it will be about 1.5 to 20 degrees off from 90 on the crosscut.

I cant figure any adjustments in the fence or anything eld that will fix this. Have been screwing with it since i bought it new form home depot. Never dropped, always mounted on a table.

So far I have been blaming myself for not being able cut a square bevel, thinking I wasnt doing something right. But I am really beginning to believe that there is a flaw in the casting/alignment of the bevel swivel and the hinge.

Re: Help! Miter Saw Blues.

This has been a reported problem with both the 10- and 12-inch Ridgid miter saws. I'm not sure if it is on all production of the particular models, but if you search the forum, you will see numerous reports of this problem

I have the same 10-inch model and agree totally about the problem as you describe it.

What to do about it however, is another problem. I have yet to see any statement by a Ridgid rep that this is fixable and I'm not sure what results one might get if they sent it in for service. It would be interesting to know of course.

I really like the saw and to date, I haven't had to make any 45 crosscuts. No doubt that will eventually come into play, and when I'm faced with it, I'll no doubt be frustrated.... then go make the cut on my RAS or table saw. If I was within near distance to an authorized Ridgid service center, I'd probably ask them to look at it; but my nearest, is about 150 miles away. I'm not about to ship this thing to them, when I have two other ways of making that particular cut.

Putting off the enevitable,

CWS

Comment

I went to home depot this afternoon, of course the kid/manager fobbed me back off to Ridgid.

I have a 12" old beast of a table saw that i keep my 3/4 dado stack on and trying to set that dado stack is tough enough, so i dont mess with it.

I use the P.O.S. Ryobi portable saw for straight rips and big crosscuts.

Have a Craftsman RAS with the crappy digital dispay too. I iinherited that from my father in law and its pretty sloppy.

But none of that is as easy or practical as (supposedly) using a compound miter.

I just wish the thing would work accurately.

If Ridgid cant help me I will have to see about returning the saw to HD for the dual bevel Dewalt. Might as well get the 12" then.

Find a silver lining.

Comment

If you can get HD to take it back, I would do just that. There seems to be lots of this issue with several models of the Ridgid miter saws. See if they have a Makita that you like. The laser is not worthwhile, but the worklight is nice to have. Do you really need a 12" miter saw? If a 10" would work for your needs you can save some money on it and on blades. The Makita may not have the best fence but they are known to be very close to dead on accurate.

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...&tag=ben_miter

Comment

Yep, I stumbled into this unfortunate problem with my 1065LZ about 2 years ago. I just ended up gettting a Makita. Interesting that to this day they are STILL having the same problem.

Comment

If you are able to return it, do that. Whatever replacement you decide on don't make it a Craftsman or a Ryobi as their CMS's also suffer from the same problem. For a non-slider CMS it's pretty hard IMO to beat the DeWalt's.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Ryobi miter saws are actually very similar to Ridgid and Ryobi/TTI makes a lot of craftsman tools so you will get the same problems are they are all basically the same saw. I've tried the Ryobi saws and the exhibited the same problem only a lot more pronounced.

Comment

You may want to visit the Delta line of miter saws. I have their 12" with dual lasers it's wonderful and you can hook up your vacuum to get 90% of the debris!

I had an older Delta 10" saw and it served me well. I gave it to my son when I decided to upgrade.

If you are trying to decide 10" or 12" there are many opinions. After using a 10" saw for 8+ years I truly appreciate the additional size at 12"
                Yes blades are pricey but often you can find them on sale and then if you are careful the blade can last a long time. I think in the eight years with the 10" saw I replaced the blade 4 times

Oh, The Delta twin laser system is top notch and the 12" saw come in a few different styles.

Cactus Man

Comment

I've been tossing between the Ridgid MS vs Dewalt 703, really tempted by the Lifetime Warranty from Ridgid but eventually went to Lowes for a DW703, at least it will cut true.

I bought the saw around end July & just this weekend I found that Lowes has a 10% off on all Dewalt power tools .. just got my ~$20+tax back today (I'm in WA, just in case...)

Good luck shopping.

Comment

The Plot Thickens!

So I talked to a very nice lady over in CS at Ridgid who transferred me to tech support who pushed me to my local service agent "A Pro Tool, Inc" here in Denver.

Everyone was very nice to me, which is something at least.

The service company kept my saw for two weeks, replaced, or said they replaced a bunch of parts; Lock plate, sleeve, lazer, arbor shaft assembly, and the flange. I had explained to them that what needed to be replaced was the cast iron swivel, which they did not do. Not quite sure what all the other parts are but I got it back and tested it out and Voila!

No Change.

So then I break out my squares and spend 45 minutes aligning the fence, and the detent lock and test it out and Viola!

Same problem i already had.

The problem is in the casting of the bevel hinge piece. At 0 dgree miter 0 degree bevel I can cut a 90 crosscut. At 0 degree miter 45 degree bevel the crosscut is 2 degrees off 90. The bevel angle seems fine.

I havent called the folks back in the Ridgid office yet but am going to ask them not to pay this invoice. I realize these guys in the shop are the professionals, but when I ask my mechanic to check the brakes I dont pay for him to do everything else but.

Anybody think I can get the cast hinge shipped to me so I can fix my own tool?

The guys at the shop just told me it was a cheap saw and I shouldn't expect it to work well. Not really the support I would expect from an "Authorized Repair Facility"

The owner also told me to get a Hitachi, any thoughts? Jeez thats prolly a whole 'nother thread.

I had planned on putting up the crown in the kitchen for my wifey for our Anniversary.

Frustration.

But wifey looks me right in the eye and says dead pan, "I think we need to get you a new saw." I looked her right back and said "Who the heck are you and what did you do with my wife!"

Find a silver lining.

Comment

The Plot Thickens!

So I talked to a very nice lady over in CS at Ridgid who transferred me to tech support who pushed me to my local service agent "A Pro Tool, Inc" here in Denver.

Everyone was very nice to me, which is something at least.

The service company kept my saw for two weeks, replaced, or said they replaced a bunch of parts; Lock plate, sleeve, lazer, arbor shaft assembly, and the flange. I had explained to them that what needed to be replaced was the cast iron swivel, which they did not do. Not quite sure what all the other parts are but I got it back and tested it out and Voila!

No Change.

So then I break out my squares and spend 45 minutes aligning the fence, and the detent lock and test it out and Viola!

Same problem i already had.

The problem is in the casting of the bevel hinge piece. At 0 dgree miter 0 degree bevel I can cut a 90 crosscut. At 0 degree miter 45 degree bevel the crosscut is 2 degrees off 90. The bevel angle seems fine. I told the guys at the pro shop that this was my issue at they needed to focus on this.

I havent called the folks back in the Ridgid office yet but am going to ask them not to pay this invoice. I realize these guys in the shop are the professionals, but when I ask my mechanic to check the brakes I dont pay for him to do everything else but.

Anybody think I can get the cast hinge shipped to me so I can fix my own tool?

The guys at the shop just told me it was a cheap saw and I shouldn't expect it to work well. Not really the support I would expect from an "Authorized Repair Facility"

The owner also told me to get a Hitachi, any thoughts? Jeez thats prolly a whole 'nother thread.

I had planned on putting up the crown in the kitchen for my wifey for our Anniversary.

Frustration.

But wifey looks me right in the eye and says dead pan, "I think we need to get you a new saw." I looked her right back and said "Who the heck are you and what did you do with my wife!"

Find a silver lining.

Comment

Working...
                      X