Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Set of Air Nailers? Recommendations plz...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Set of Air Nailers? Recommendations plz...

Guys,

I am looking for a set of air nailers (this seems to be the way to get the best deal). I am a weekend warrior that is going to be re-habbing a foreclosed home. I am going to be putting down hardwood flooring and building a fence. I would like to find a decent set of air nailer to include a framing nailer to put up the fence with and a finish nailer to re-attach all of the molding once I get done with the floors. Also, if possible I would like a set that I could attach crown molding with in the future. All I have been able to find so far is this set, from Campbell Hausfield:

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausf...245595-8562429

Does anybody else have any good suggestions? I am looking to spend under $250. I don't know much about air tools so any information would be helpful. Also, I have a 15 gallon compressor, I know that this is a little big, but I really don't see the need to be buying a set that comes with a compressor, since I don't see a need for two compressors.

Thanks.

Re: Good Set of Air Nailers? Recommendations plz...

Have you looked at buying the nailers piece meal at Harbor Freight? I have a HF pin nailer and stapler and for occasional use they are just fine. If you catch them on sale, you more than likely could get a framing nailer, angled finish nailer and a brad nailer for under the CH price.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Have you looked at buying the nailers piece meal at Harbor Freight? I have a HF pin nailer and stapler and for occasional use they are just fine. If you catch them on sale, you more than likely could get a framing nailer, angled finish nailer and a brad nailer for under the CH price.
      I am willling to pay a little more than HF prices, and would like something with a little more quality. Once I get the house finished I will be getting into various woodworking projects so I would like something that will last and be nice. I have bought tools at HF before, but with my experience, the quality isn't good enough for a tool that I would use just once, and with this set, I would like something that will last me a long time.

Comment

You will be very happy with the CH set. I have a close friend who has used it extensively and he is very satisfied. If I didn't already have those three types of nailers, I'd buy the CH set today.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I bought an angled finish nailer to install crown molding, and Im very glad I did. I tried with a normal finish nailer and it was just tough enough to get into the corners and up against the ceiling that it made it really frustrating.

I would take the 250 and buy a decent angled finish nailer (15 ga....my Bostitch was 150 or so) and a decent framing nailer, or spend more on what you think you will use most and adjust accordingly. You can pick up a brad nailer pretty cheap, in fact I have the HF model and it has never let me down. Not bad for so little $$$. While the brad nailer is nicer because its smaller, Ive had no problems using the 15 ga finish nailer in its place. You can look for something that uses t-head nails, they create a smaller hole (not brad size, but surely not 15 ga size).

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
            I bought an angled finish nailer to install crown molding, and Im very glad I did. I tried with a normal finish nailer and it was just tough enough to get into the corners and up against the ceiling that it made it really frustrating.

I would take the 250 and buy a decent angled finish nailer (15 ga....my Bostitch was 150 or so) and a decent framing nailer, or spend more on what you think you will use most and adjust accordingly. You can pick up a brad nailer pretty cheap, in fact I have the HF model and it has never let me down. Not bad for so little $$$. While the brad nailer is nicer because its smaller, Ive had no problems using the 15 ga finish nailer in its place. You can look for something that uses t-head nails, they create a smaller hole (not brad size, but surely not 15 ga size).

-Chris
            Uggh, yeah, that is something that I just noticed. The finish nailer isn't angled. I guess that this set won't do then, because I wanted to be able to do crown molding with it. Hmm, anybody seen any other sets that have a decent framing nailer and angled finish nailer with them? What exactly is a brad nailer used for? Would I put up trim (ie. quarter round) with a brad or finish nailer?

Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for the help.

Comment

I'm not sure I've ever seen angled finish nailers sold in combo kits before. Only the straight magazine 16g nailers. If you are willing to use ebay I would recommend you give that a try instead. You can get brand new big brand nailers for like 1/2 to 1/3 of the retail cost.

Comment

I like my PC nailers and staplers.
                "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

I have PC nailers ,(brad and straight 16 gauge) that i use quite often to do crown and any other mouldings. Never really considered it much of a problem at all to nail inside corners or ceiling. Just turn the gun over to shoot the top of the crown. I find it harder to nail inside corners on baseboard,but it beats buying another gun. These 2 tools payed for themselves many times over!!

Comment

I just saw this set at Costco. Looks like what you're looking for. For me I was lucky enough to find a Ridgid Brad and Finish combo w/cordless screwdriver for $118. I still see that deal around now and again for $189 or so.

CH nailer set:
                    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US

Ern

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      I like my PC nailers and staplers.
                      Update: Many of my PC tools are a few years old. I recently inquired of Delta/Porter-Cable through their web site as to where their tools are manufactured. Here is the response I got yesterday (8/24/07):

Dear Bob,

Thank you for visiting the Delta Machinery website. Unfortunately most of Delta Machinery and Porter-Cable tools are now made in foreign countries per our specifications. We do still make the generators, compressors, pressure washers, and the Unisaw in the USA.

Regards,
                      End User Services

The sad part of this is that it seems you can't buy American even if you try.

Milwaukee is gone, B&D is long gone from our shores, RIDGID's WWing tools have moved overseas, and now Porter-Cable and Delta have moved to the land of cheap labor, zero safety and environmental regulations, and maximum profits.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        Update: Many of my PC tools are a few years old. I recently inquired of Delta/Porter-Cable through their web site as to where their tools are manufactured. Here is the response I got yesterday (8/24/07):

Dear Bob,

Thank you for visiting the Delta Machinery website. Unfortunately most of Delta Machinery and Porter-Cable tools are now made in foreign countries per our specifications. We do still make the generators, compressors, pressure washers, and the Unisaw in the USA.

Regards,
                        End User Services

The sad part of this is that it seems you can't buy American even if you try.

Milwaukee is gone, B&D is long gone from our shores, RIDGID's WWing tools have moved overseas, and now Porter-Cable and Delta have moved to the land of cheap labor, zero safety and environmental regulations, and maximum profits.
                        Yeah, I completely agree with you on that one. I was looking at some Makita tools and noticed that they weren't even made in the US. The only place that I know that you can get American made tools is Sears, at leas their wrenches and screwdrivers. I don't know about any of their woodworking tools. I would definitely pay a premium for American made for peace of mind, but I don't know of any brands made over here...

Comment

Hmm, so I just noticed this:

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausf...245595-8562429

Item model number: CHN90499AV

and

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US

Model CHN90499AV

One has an angled finish nailer and the other doesn't, but they are both the same Item #. I guess that I will have to make a call to Amazon to figure out what the deal is.

Comment

Originally posted by automobiliben View Post
                            Yeah, I completely agree with you on that one. I was looking at some Makita tools and noticed that they weren't even made in the US. The only place that I know that you can get American made tools is Sears, at leas their wrenches and screwdrivers. I don't know about any of their woodworking tools. I would definitely pay a premium for American made for peace of mind, but I don't know of any brands made over here...
                            Most of Sears power tools are actually made by TTI, same people who make Ridgid. If you look closely most of their tools are actually identical to Ryobi tools. Their high end woodworking tools like table saws and which get very good reviews I believe are made by a company called Orion which is chinese.

Comment

If I remember correctly Orion was formed by a number of employees from Delta and PC that left (or were separated from) when the two merged.
                              Orion is an American owned company but their products are manufactured overseas (mostly in China) to their specs.

Comment

Working...
                              X