X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Stop - Safe Saw

Has anyone seen/heard of this. This was forwarded to me at work this morning and I thought I'd share. Pretty cool how it works. Check out the videos on the following link. http://sawstop.com/
    No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Re: Saw Stop - Safe Saw

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ghlight=hotdog perty cool 30 post discussion on this before.

Comment

Figures! Next time I'll check. My bad. Still cool though.

Comment

no problem.. this one was a hard one to search for. I had to search for "hotdog" to find it.

Comment

I think all table saws should have that safety feature on them.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

sure would be a nice feature.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
              I think all table saws should have that safety feature on them.
              I sorta agree with you. My feeling is that it should be offered as an option by all the saw manufacturers. If someone wants to pay for the option fine but don't mandate it. The last thing I'd want to see is the government sticking their collective noses into this subject.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I wonder why the manufacturer of Safe Saw doesn't just produce this option to fit all/most saws out there and let the consumer buy it either directly or from their local Lowe's, HD...and install his/her self. I'd buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by 9.5 fingers to go View Post
                  I wonder why the manufacturer of Safe Saw doesn't just produce this option to fit all/most saws out there and let the consumer buy it either directly or from their local Lowe's, HD...and install his/her self. I'd buy one.

Too much risk for SawStop in doing this I think. They have one little typo or something in their installation manual and you get hurt, then they are looking at a big lawsuit. Plus this takes a big chunk of profit out of it, they don't get to mark up the installation which on the assembly line is next to nothing but has protential for big profit/markup.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

it is nice to know that this type of technology is available to us. i work in radiology at a medium to small sized hospital and i think most people would be shocked at the frequency and numbers who come in with severe injuries or lost fingers due mainly to saw accidents. on average i would say i do xrays on 2 to 3 a week...most being experienced wood workers. the truth is though i believe this will continue to be a "niche" market vs what will become the standard on tools. if you look at how products today are designed they dont set down and figure what the public wants. they sit down and figure what will make the most money..quality and function be damned and thats the bottom line. so i just dont see this kind of technology being implemented wide scale. for example, i ended up purchasing a ryobi planer recently..model 1301..only to find out that what i really wanted was the previous model 1300..reason being ryobi had removed some of the key features like the cutter lock to save money even though it makes the "newer" model worse than its predecessor..go figure.

Comment

Good point. I don't even think it would have to be a matter of a typo. Even if there weren't any typo's and someone were to make a mistake in the installation they'd be up a creek. I tend to forget about those that can't accept blame. It's too bad that it would be damaging to do a weenie test after the installation is complete. :-)

Comment

Ever compare the price (and safety features) of European tools to ours?
                        One of the WWing Mags did a recent article on this subject in the past few months.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X