X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Couple Of Questions For 6" Jointer Owners

I'm finally going to do it. I've been without a jointer for far to long and tomorrow I'm going to buy one. I've decided on one the Jet 6" closed stand models. However, I'm undecided on whether or not to buy the JJ-6CS with the 46" long table and 29-1/8" long fence or the JJ-6CSDX with a 56" long table and a 33-1/8" long fence. The rest of the specs on both of the machines are basically the same.

So my questions to all you 6" jointer owner are this, is it worth my while to spend an extra $100 for the longer table and fence? How often do you wish your table was longer than the industry standard 46" and does the longer fence really make a difference?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: A Couple Of Questions For 6" Jointer Owners

Dave, I don't know which jointer you should get, but you definitely deserve one! You are the highest poster, after all

Have fun with your new toy

Joey
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I think you'll find once you get the jointer you'll never know how you ever managed without. It will makewoodworkigng soooo much simpler.

I have the Orion made Craftsman 6" jointer which is basically identical in specs to most closed based 6" jointers out there but with a slightly more powerfull 1 1/2hp motor. It has a standard 46" table and I use it regularly to joint boards 8' and 10' long. I don't find the standard table size affects me in any way. If I where working with anything longer that might be a different story. Basically the formula is something like the longest you can comfortably work with is roughly twice the length of the table. I do ofcourse put a roller or two on the outfeed size but you'll need to do that with either table size if jointing boards that long. Basically the 46" table will not hold you back much. The longer table falls into the "nice to have" rather than "essential" category unless you are working with anything longer than 8 feet or so. As far as the longer fence I find that after a certain size it really makes no difference how long it is. The standard size is enough to square the board up comfortably against. I would think a larger fence actually has more potential to warp.

One thing to consider is these closed based models have a very small footprint and the longer the table tends to make them unstable. I've considered rigging mine up with a wide base or even bolting it down. I once accidentally leaned a little too much into one of the corners of the bed and the darn thing almost tipped over on me. Not fun on a machine weighing about 250 pounds.

Comment

BD. I have had a jointer of my own since 1964 and have used many different makes and sizes. I don't think you will ever miss the extra length. Save the $100 to buy some good Walleye bait.
        Pipestone

Comment

You're gonna love having a jointer...nothing like straight flat stock everytime you start a project.

The longer the bed, the easier it is to straighten a board. I tend to need extra width more often than extra length but there are definitely times when longer would be better. In theory, you can flatten a board about twice the length of the beds. In practice, an 8' board with any curvature is going to be a handful to straighten on a 46" bed. Whether to get the extra length partly depends on the stock you tend to mill, and it also depends on your budget. Extra length is always nice to have if you won't miss the $100 very long. Fence length has never seemed to matter much.

Not sure how much the Jet is going for where you are, but here's some food for thought....the Sunhill used to be made in the same GeeTec factory in Taiwan that the older Jets were made. Their 56" jointer is $359 with $99 shipping. Pretty much the same machine as the Jet, Griz 1182s, Bridgewood, Woodtek, GI, etc.

Keep us posted!

Comment

Dave, I have the Delta X5 6" Jointer. If I had it to do over I would think hard about an 8". Only limitation for me would be room in the shop (not counting the difference in price). Given the choice of a 6" long table or an 8" std table I'd be leaning toward the 8". Another consideration would be 240V power availability vice 120V fr the 6" machines.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob, I keep reading reports that 8" or larger is the way to go but unfortunately I just don't have the space for an 8" jointer. Believe me when I say that I have measured and remeasured and my small basement shop just doesn't have enough space left for an 8" jointer. As it is, I'm pushing it trying to squeeze in a 6" model. Unless I'm missing something the big advantage of any jointer larger than the 6" ones is less pieces to joint and glue up when making wider boards. If that's true then I can live with that.

As far as the power requirements are concerned, both the Jets that I'm considering come wired for 115V but have the ability to be rewired for 230V.
              Last edited by BadgerDave; 08-31-2007, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I would spend the 100 bucks on the longer joiner. For boards 4' or less you won't notice a difference but anything longer will be noticable. The longer bed will give much better results on long pieces. The first time you need to joint a long piece, you'll be glad you spent the extra 100 bucks
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Dave, I have the Delta 6" pro (previous model to the X5, looks like X5 without the label), it has a 46" bed with a 35" fence. I have made beds and dressers with ease, jointer table length is never an issue, but like Dan I find that I do wish for an 8" on occasion when at the lumber yard and there are much nicer * by 8" than the * by 6". I also never shy away from the * X 12" when grain and quality are right. I make due with the 6" machine and when I need wider the hand planes don't care what the width is.
                  The other point to consider is that in most cases these days the wood is so young (skinny trees) that you really should not consider using anything wider than 4" strips for a glue up panel or table top.
                  IMO 46" is plenty and I don't think 4" in fence length will make any difference. The only thing that would make a difference is the fence height, mine is just shy of 5", nice for edge jointing wide panels or boards.
                  Keep in mind that with a sled you can use a planer to flatten boards as wide as the planer

Comment

if you can go with the long bed, that is my opinion,

I have had a delta jointer for nearly 40 years, and it is a very nice unit, I love it and using it, but there are time if the bed was 6 to 8" longer per table it would be nicer yet,

on most things you never know the difference, but when you get long stock and need it jointed that extra few inches mean a lot.

try to joint a 8' piece of stock and see if you can do it easly on a short bed jointer, (you can but it is not easy).
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have the Ridgid jointer. On the rare occasions I need more length, I use portable support stands. Never been a problem. My vote is for saving the money.
                      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Hmm, I have an older Craftsman (most likely 30years?) and haven't used it in atleast 10 years. Right now it's the stand where I stack up all my moving blankets! LOL Too bad you don't live closer, i've often thought of getting rid of it in favor for the floor space! With a good table saw and good blade, I just don't need it anymore, but most of my stuff is gluing up panels for doors and the new blades don't chip like the older ones so the jointer, for me anyways, is not really needed anymore.

mark
                        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I know if you get the short bed jointer there will be times you will have wished you got the long bed one, but I bet you will never wish if you buy the long bed one you will have wished you got the short bed model.
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions and recommendations. There were very valid points raised on both sides of the issue and it wasn't an easy decision to make.

I decided to go with the JJ-6CS 46" table model over the longer tabled model. The extra money for the longer version really was a non-issue when it came down to the final decision. Although, that $100 looks a lot better sitting in my bank account than in someone else's pocket.

After much thought about the majority of the type of work that I do, the JJ-6CS will be plenty sufficient for almost any project that I'll be doing. As I usually crosscut most boards now to rough size to make them more manageable I doubt if I'll need the ability to end joint longer boards very often, if ever. Also, as Wayne stated, a planer with a sled will face joint wide boards so I'm covered there too.

Oh yeah, one other thing. I purchased this jointer at the local franchised Woodcraft store. I've made a number of tool purchases there and couldn't be happier with their service and employees. I don't mean to sound like I'm pushing Woodcraft cause I'm not. What I am saying is that buying from a store where the sales people know a little about what they sell and how that tool will or will not perform for you based on your needs is invaluable. Also, in this case, they actually had the least expensive price out there, even beating out Internet prices but I would have gladly spent a little extra if they hadn't had the best price just to keep my business local.

Enough rambling, thanks again for everyones help.

Comment

Working...
                            X