Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my TS3650

Hi All,

Just got my TS3650. Did a test cut on 3/4 plywood. It is straight and easy like cutting cheese.

Couple things coming up in my mind.
    1. I am planning to build a router table on the right side. I don't want the router table just been supported by the front and back rail. Two options in my mind either take the right extension off and build a bigger router table and bolt the router table on to the table top, or build a support cabinet or legs for the router table. Which one you think is better or any other suggestion.
    2. It is very tough to make the throat plate even with the table top. After I adjust the throst plate even, once I have the screw tightened, the plate will bend up in the middle. Any suggestion?

Thank you!

Have a nice holiday!

Tom

Re: Just got my TS3650

Originally posted by ttong View Post
    ...2. It is very tough to make the throat plate even with the table top. After I adjust the throst plate even, once I have the screw tightened, the plate will bend up in the middle. Any suggestion?

Tom
    Do not tighten the screw so tight: It needs to be snug, but not so tight that it warps up the middle from the adjustment set screws. Just make sure the front set screws do not leave the leading edge of the plate higher than the table top. If it is too loose, you will notice it because the work piece will catch on it or the insert will start to rattle. In either case, it is easy to shut off the saw and snug it slightly more if needed before it will cause a problem. I have used mine for almost two years now and have removed/replaced the inserts many times without the screw ever coming loose to cause a problem. The blue stuff on the screw is a form of loctite. If the screw starts vibrating loose, get the blue (Low torque) loctite and reapply (avail at any auto repair store, wal-mart, k-mart, etc in the automotive section) but I haven't had to mess with mine.
    Besides, in the very near future I predict you will either be making or buying zero-clearance inserts (ZCIs), and will relegate the stock insert to only when you are doing bevel cuts.
    Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Gofor wrote: "...If it is too loose, you will notice it because the work piece will catch on it..."

GO has some good advice Tom. I turn the screw in until it is snug, then back off maybe a half turn. Then I snug the screw by lightly tapping it the plate with my finger. If I hear the throat plate rattle, I give the screw another half turn or whatever it takes to just stop the rattle, any more and it lifts the rear end of the plate I have found.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thank you all! That helps.

Any suggestion on router table?

Tom

Comment

ttong,

Check this thread for a router table extension idea. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10115
          At the end of the thread I describe how I've mounted the Bench Dog cast iron router table onto the right wing of my TS3650.

Pics included.

That thread also has links to even more threads with router table extension ideas for the TS3650.

Comment

Working...
          X