X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I fry my wet/dry vac

Hi all, new member. Have a Ridgid WD18500 wet/dry vac. I use it about 10 hrs/week in a very dirty environment, so I definetley put it through its pace. After about 2-3 months use I noticed it wasn't pulling like before, and was starting to cut in and out. took a look at the fps and it was half way up. Took it apart to clean the filter and it was completely clogged. I washed it really well, let it dry in the sun for 2 days! Then blew dry/cleaned it again with my yard blower. Put it back in and went back to work, everythings great about half an hr. in I smell something burnt and boom, the vac goes down, wont restart. What did I do?? Is there a reset or fuse? I dont have my manual. Or is it trashed?? Thanks for any help.

Re: Did I fry my wet/dry vac

Take the head off and remove the filter. Then take the head to a good vacuum cleaner repair shop. More than likely they will need to order and replace the motor-fan assembly but with the WD1850 not being a cheap model it should pay to do this over buying a new one. While I doubt this is the case due to the stink, it might be one of the carbon brushes hung up and arced. They might (depends on their skill level) be able to repair the motor. In any case the bill should not be as much as buying a whole replacement. Think of the drum, hose, attachments and more. I'm not sure how the parts are broken down, but in a worst case you would just replace the head part. I'm pretty sure (need to find if I can download the parts list) that just the motor-fan can be replaced. Ask them to look into it and call with a price. If you turn it down, you'll just owe them a small amount for the estimate and they might take the machine (whole) as payment. They can use what's left (so can you) for parts for another of the same model.

Comment

I just turned the base into a planter, threw away the head and bought a new one and a great filter, not one type that comes w/it. The cost is darn near the same.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

[quote=garager;91813]I just turned the base into a planter[quote]

Now why didn't I ever think of that??

Just to think of all the money I could have saved with my wife buying all those damn clay pots (large ones) around the pool and back patio.

Regards,

Comment

I like the planter idea and with the casters you can move it around easy. A little spray paint and you can change the bright orange-red color. Actually I would use the drum on casters as a movable trash/scraps can.

The cheapo filters that come with the vacs are crappy. There are much better ones made such as the Clean-Stream.

I really wish Emerson-Ridgid would get their shop vac act together and really give ShopVac Corp. something to seriously worry about. ShopVac has great customer service and many items can be ordered online from their web site. Their Industrial line vacs are not bad either. Their cheapo models are junk, but what can you expect for $29.95?

The good filter for many models of Ridgid drum style vacs: http://www.cleanstream.com/store/3313209089.html

Comment

I had a wet vac, I sucked a sink dry with drano in it and soemthing happened to the motor a couple weeks later started making noise and that was it. It might have been a couinky-dink.

I have a ridgid wet/vac, the best on the market for the cost, I also have a small 6 gallon I use for small jobs.

How old is the vacuum? Did you check with ridgid to see if they have a warrenty on it? ridgid is excellent in their warranty dept just be carefull where you take it to get it serviced.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Honey you spelled warenty wrong....it is warranty

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, Im gonna bite the bullet and buy another vac and then try and fix this one as a back up. Any recommendations on a super duper heavy duty vac?

Comment

Originally posted by graystar View Post
                  After about 2-3 months use

Ridgid vacs have a lifetime warranty, not just a service agreemant like thier powertools. I would turn it in under warranty and see what they say. It may save you some dough on a new one.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/RIDGID-W...anty/index.htm

Ern

Comment

I think that no matter what brand or model of vac you buy, you're going to have a problem if you don't keep that filter clean. You mentioned that you used it two or three months in a very dirty environment and that when you finally took it apart, the filter was quite plugged (not a direct quote).

I have a 12-gal Ridgid shop vac (the $70 one), and by contrast I only use it to clean up debris in the particular room that I'm working in or in the shop area. So, mostly dust, plaster, etc.; but I clean it every couple of weeks at the most, and/or when I feel the motor is starting to get more than warm.

Not keeping that filter relatively clean is a good way to burn out the motor.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
                      Ridgid vacs have a lifetime warranty, not just a service agreemant like thier powertools. I would turn it in under warranty and see what they say. It may save you some dough on a new one.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/RIDGID-W...anty/index.htm

Ern
                      Is that why Ridgid sent all my mail in stuff back to me, w/a letter saying wet vac are not part of their lifetime warranty. Buy a very good filter.
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                        Is that why Ridgid sent all my mail in stuff back to me, w/a letter saying wet vac are not part of their lifetime warranty. Buy a very good filter.
                        From the web page:

"How to Obtain Service

To obtain the benefit of this warranty, please call 1-800-4-RIDGID (1-800-474-3443)."

I believe this warranty and the LSA (Lifetime Service Agreement) are two different animals. I believe Emerson still makes the vacuums for Ridgid.

Graystar,
                        I think you should give them a call. Afterall you did spend almost $200 on thier vacuum. At the very least, they owe you some of thier time to answer your questions.

Good luck and I hope you get a new one under warranty, you should still buy a Cleanstream filter either way.
                        Ern
                        Last edited by erngum; 09-06-2007, 12:15 AM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Graystar

If you can't get anywhere with warrenty service, I would still take the head (filter off and cleaned up) to a good local vacuum cleaner repair shop. They may have access to motor parts for it and if they say no, well you tried. I'm hoping it may not be that you actually burned up the motor armature or windings and might be that one of the carbon brushes hung up. They may want a few $$$ to check it over and be sure to set a price limit before they touch it. This way you would get a nasty big $$$ repair bill. Let them know you're thinking about a replacement.

Now if you're ready to take a big jump to a real industrial grade machine where all parts can be replaced - serviced and you promise to take good care of the machine, then post and I'll put up some links here for you to look at. I must warn you that these machines are investments in quality, but you have to do your part caring for them. If you're using it as part of a business such can pay off, but if this is for around your own place, I doubt you want to put out serious money for such.

Comment

Here is a general (several models) parts list for Ridgid vacuum cleaners.
                            http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/1686AFE...35_Vacs_PL.pdf

For the WD1850 the motor by itself is #12443

The problem I see is that replacing it takes some work and I have no idea what the motor will cost. It very well may be better to replace the whole machine and keep your's for parts or use the drum on casters for something else. A good filter (not the POC one it comes with) is a must and keep it cleaned. Actually I would get and have 2 good filters so you can swap them as needed.

Comment

Working...
                            X