X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee "sub compact" line...

Did you all see the new Milwaukee "sub compact" tool announcement on "toolmonger" & the "this old house" hardware blog, yesterday? The spec's look a little weak compared to the Bosch 10.8 volt line.

It is great to hear that Milwaukee has some new tools in the pipeline for the end of 2007/2008 time frame. In my opinion, 2007 has been a very weak product launch year from guys in red!

Ohiohead

Re: Milwaukee "sub compact" line...

I saw the new 18volt drill yesterday at a Depot in Dayton, OH,.

The drill is a approximately 1" to 2" shorter and .75 to 1.5 pounds lighter then the Ridgid "Li ion compact" 18 volt drill. The drill did have a "nice" feel in my hand, liked the removable tool hook as well. I forgot what the price was (sorry).

I do want to let people know that the battery is not compatable with other Milwaukee 18 volt power tools (tried the old Ni Cads & Li Ion's on display) and they will not work, sorry!

Ohiohead

Comment

The specs don't really look weak, just a little different. It has 100 in. lbs of torque compared to the Bosch's 80, but it also turns 500rpm instead of the Bosch's 600, so that's where the extra torque is coming from.

It says 12v, but that that is just a marketing ploy. It's a lithium battery, so that's going to be 10.8v also. It also doesn't have the light on it, which seems like nothing but is a VERY convenient feature.

My vote goes with the Bosch.

Comment

I have the Bosch PS20, and the PS40 impact. I do not have the PS10 I-driver (right angle driver). The PS10 runs at 600 rpm's and the PS20 runs at 400 rpm's. They both have 80 in./lbs. of torque. I got a Ridgid 9.6v screwdriver free with a nailer combo and it is actually stronger than the Bosch drivers (except for the Impactor). It runs 530 rpm's with 100 in./lbs. and it is noticeably more powerful than the PS20, although it is much larger and heavier (and not Li powered).

What I'm saying is that the Milwaukee, at 100 in./lbs., sounds like it will be a very capable driver, and it does appear to have an LED light. The one-handed bit change looks nice too.

http://toolmonger.com/2007/09/04/pre...20-competitor/

But in any case, I will stick with my Bosch drivers because I've already spent $300 on them.

On the compact drill, I would have to agree w/ Ohiohead that the specs. (400 in./lbs. 1400 rpm's) seem weak compared to the other 18v compacts like the Makita (450 in./lbs. 1500 rpm's) and the Ridgid (455 in./lbs. 1600 rpm's). But the Milwaukee is a lot nicer looking than the Ridgid, which to me looks kind of dated. I've already bought into Makita Lithium so I won't be getting this one either.

Ern

Comment

Originally posted by GilBeQuick View Post
          It says 12v, but that that is just a marketing ploy. It's a lithium battery, so that's going to be 10.8v also.
          Gil,
          I've heard this before, but I'm not an electronics guy. Can you explain this one to me? Does it have something to do with the voltage of the cell?

Thanks,
          Ern

Comment

Originally posted by GilBeQuick View Post
            It says 12v, but that that is just a marketing ploy. It's a lithium battery, so that's going to be 10.8v also. It also doesn't have the light on it, which seems like nothing but is a VERY convenient feature.
            Actually, calling their V18 lineup 18 volts was a marketing ploy. They are actually 20 volts. Milwaukee wanted to emphasize the fact that the V18 batteries were compatible with the older 18 volt tools and they were worried if they called them 20 volts people would think they were not.

There are lots of different lithium battery technologies with different voltages. Milwaukee uses Lithium-Maganese which yields approximately 4 volts per cell. Their V28's use 7 cells. Their V18 uses 5 (20v.) This one uses 3.

IMHO, this drill is overpriced just like the Bosch. Perhaps when they compete a while, or when we get a couple other entries into this category the prices will be better. I would consider one of these when they drop below the $100 mark.
            Last edited by Disaster; 10-12-2007, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
              Actually, calling their V18 lineup 18 volts was a marketing ploy. They are actually 20 volts. Milwaukee wanted to emphasize the fact that the V18 batteries were compatible with the older 18 volt tools and they were worried if they called them 20 volts people would think they were not.

There are lots of different lithium battery technologies with different voltages. Milwaukee uses Lithium-Manganese which yields approximately 4 volts per cell. Their V28's use 7 cells. Their V18 uses 5 (20v.) This one uses 3.

IMHO, this drill is overpriced just like the Bosch. Perhaps when they compete a while, or when we get a couple other entries into this category the prices will be better. I would consider one of these when they drop below the $100 mark.
              Ah ha! Thanks for the info. I was wondering why Craftsman (TTI built) went with a 20v lithium. I've seen them and fiddled with them with charged batteries, and I would put the Ryobi stuff above them.

Ern

Comment

Working...
              X