Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the Mini Li-Ion Tool Wars Begin...

Bosch created this niche with the PS20 10.8 volt Pocket Driver and promptly added PS10 I-Driver, and a bit later added the PS40 Impactor - all mini-sized tools.
    (In case you've been under a rock, see them here.)

Now,
    Milwaukee is about to release this 12volt Li-Ion driver next month. It, of course, has a bit more oomph.

Dang-it, I just about had my mind made up to grab the Boschs for my tool bag.

And, (I predict) that since parent TTI's releasing this, then it's only a matter of time 'til we see an Orange version and who knows maybe even a Yellow, Teal, and a Gray version.

What do you think??
    Last edited by PhilG.; 09-05-2007, 09:24 PM. Reason: url repaired
    Phil
    Tools Rule

Re: Let the Mini Li-Ion Tool Wars Begin...

I think the i-Driver from Bosch sucks. I bought one and took it back because the torque setting is useless. When you are driving a screw no matter where the torque setting is it will stop midway through driving the screw. You have to then release the trigger and restart to finish and maybe even do it again.
    The Li-ion batteries held their charge OK and for the short time I had it their longevity seemed OK. I think the PS-20 would have been a better choice but I went for the i-Driver for access in tight spots. It was good for that just a PITA they way it stopped mid-stroke so to speak.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I love my PS20. I put down all my deck boards with it last spring. I didnt keep track of how many times I recharged, but with the 20 minute timer Id say I was getting 45 minutes per battery with 2 1/2" deck screws in treated lumber.

Of course I managed to be in the right place at the right time and only paid $71 for mine, new in an open box.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        I think the i-Driver from Bosch sucks. I bought one and took it back because the torque setting is useless. When you are driving a screw no matter where the torque setting is it will stop midway through driving the screw. You have to then release the trigger and restart to finish and maybe even do it again.
        The Li-ion batteries held their charge OK and for the short time I had it their longevity seemed OK. I think the PS-20 would have been a better choice but I went for the i-Driver for access in tight spots. It was good for that just a PITA they way it stopped mid-stroke so to speak.
        I like my i-driver, use it every day. It's powerful, the batteries last a long time, it's light and small, but I agree that the torque setting is as worthless as tits on a pickup truck. If I needed torque setting I'd return it and use my old dewalt. The first one I got didn't know which way to go when I pushed the trigger. Now that was REAL annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by BILLG View Post
          I...use my old dewalt.

I bought the little DeWalt 7.2 driver when it first hit the street and I still use it daily. And its torque settings and clutch are great. My problem with it is if on a long holiday weekend the battery has time to sit it will discharge.
          Then you need to refresh both batteries in the charger. So, you end up charging these many more times than you would Li-Ions. I would have tried the little Ridgid driver, but it was the same old technology I had, only about a burp more effort, besides, I wanted to step up to the little Bosch. Now, after what I'm hearing from you guys, there seems to be a problem with the clutch.

I guess I can try it and return it if I don't like the clutch.
          Phil
          Tools Rule

Comment

BILLG
            "but I agree that the torque setting is as worthless as tits on a pickup truck"

If my truck had this option I wouldn't think it was worthless... I wouldn't get anything done, but not worthless.

Comment

I think my PS-20 is the greatest thing since sex...

Comment

I have the pocket driver and I love it for light duty things. The clutch is great. I mostly use mine for installing hardware. I'm not so sure about the impactor version though. It is considerably bigger/heavier. I haven't actually driven any screws with one, but I did get to handle one at a local dealer. For the size and weight increase, I can't see why I couldn't just use my Makita LXT impact driver. It isn't that much bigger. The impact is just too aggressive for installing hardware like drawer pulls, that's why I bought the PS20.

Comment

Back a few years ago when I claimed that my small light weight 9.6V cordless drill/driver was sufficient for 95% of my needs all I heard was, more power, you need more power. Now, the mfgs. are all coming out with small light weight drivers, albeit with much longer run times than my old 9.6V. What goes around comes around.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

That PS20 is a nice compact looking tool. Is the chuck a hex drive quick release? LIke the DeWalt impact?
                    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
                      That PS20 is a nice compact looking tool. Is the chuck a hex drive quick release? LIke the DeWalt impact?
                      Yes it's the locking hex chuck

Comment

The PS40 impactor came down to $173 at Amazon.

My PS20 now has a work partner

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS40-2A-...0010182&sr=8-2

Ern

Comment

Working...
                        X