X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Ridgid such a tease?........

Remember the girl in high school!! Dressed sexy, was real friendly, touching you when she talked, seemed to be promising it all. Only one problem.....she wouldn't deliver.
    Ridgid is like that girl. Develops great stuff...but won't deliver. Case in point. I bought the R930 24 volt combo set several months ago.......the one with the hammer drill, recip saw, circ saw and flashlight. I have been working with my nephew who is a professional carpenter. He has taken a shine to the recip and circ saws for their power and light weight and flexibility (compared to his corded tools) He would like to purchase them. Seems simple enough. But wait!
    Ridgid no longer offers the R930. In fact Ridgid no longer offers the 24V circular saw in any form. Oh yes, its shown in their cool new online hyper catalogue as a 24V Circular saw or the 18/24V Max select saw. Home Depot does not carry either model and of course have no idea when they will be available. Sooooooooo Ridgid once again has put some tools out there that people want to buy and don't seem to deliver the goods.
    He can buy the reciprocating saw by purchasing a set which includes the hammer drill and flashlight, neither of which he is interested in.
    Soooooo like the sexy girl in HS who teased us by seeming to offer the goods only to not deliver Ridgid has the goods but they won't deliver. They have a guy all hot to buy two good products. He wants to go down to HD and lay down the plastic. One product, the circular saw is simply unavailable, the recip saw requires the purchase of stuff he doesn't want in order to get what he wants. The result might be him buying the 24V ni-cad (which he doesn't want)DeWalt circular for the simple reason that they have it available to sell.
    Ridgid seems to make a bad habit of this type of marketing. The 24V LI tools have been out for many months now and with the inlclusion of the dual voltage Max select line many of us are collecting a number of these tools. We would like to buy some additional batteries. How many months have we been asking for 24V LI batteries. Why aren't they available yet? As a customer who has invested a significant amount of money in a line of tools only to be frustrated by a lack of sufficient batteries to fully use those tools this situation is very dissapointing. This is very foolish marketing on Ridgids part.....

Re: Why is Ridgid such a tease?........

That 4 piece kit was discontinued some time ago and replaced with the 3 piece you refer to which includes the recip, flashlight, drill. The circular saw can be bought as a max select tool with no batteries or charger now. Its up to luck wether your HD's will have a stock of the max select tools you want. Oh and tell your friend not to go with the 24v Dewalt. Its obsolete and on its way out. The 36v stuff is cheaper, much ighter, runs a lot longer and is and a lot more powerful.

Comment

Oh man! To buy the Dewalt 24V stuff is a major dead end street these days. Especially considering the 28V lithium ion line they have coming out. Much better batteries than those huge 24V fan cooled nicads.

But you have to admit that the DeWalt 24V drill has to be one of the best built quality cordless tools ever made. Built like a tank.

Comment

Another example of bad marketing by Ridgid: I bought the 4 pak for around $500 when it was available except the main reason I bought it was at my local HD, a Ridgid Rep was touting the 4 pack as a great deal AND it would come with a lifetime replacement guarantee (not warranty)...this was the clincher. Like a craftsman tool...lifetime replacement guarantee. Sure enough the drill gave out (motor seized) and the chargers wouldn't charge anymore after not more than 6months of moderate use.

I was able to replace the 4 pack after a number of phone calls and trips to the Home Depot and 'spirited' conversations with the store manager and others.

This whole episode took at least 3 weeks to resolve and in the meantime I was directed to take the defective units to a service center located many miles away. I went there and was told the parts are not available right now and would take several weeks to come from overseas (China). I kept up my fight for the lifetime replacement guarantee to be honored and it finally was.

As it stands today, the replacement 4 pack is virtually useless due to battery charging issues. Has anyone experienced anything like this? If you have, please post a reply and/or email me personally. I'm trying to find out about Ridgid tool service centers in the Baltimore/Washington area.

I hate Ridgid tools and would never buy anything made by them in the future. They need to work on their relationship with their parent company (HD) and their customers. At the same time they need to improve the quality of their products/service and not market themselves as being in the same league as DeWalt and Milwaukee Equipment and a handful of other reputable, quality tool producing companies.

Comment

I'm trying to find out about Ridgid tool service centers in the Baltimore/Washington area.

Click here for the Service center info.

They need to work on their relationship with their parent company (HD) and their customers.

Not sure exactly what you were referring to here but there is NO relationship between HD and RIDGID other than HD is a Distributor of RIDGID brand products. HD is not and never has been a parent company of RIDGID!

Comment

They are a tease or seem to be because they are not a serious tool brand. They are a house brand. You will notice the same thing on house brands at your local grocery. They come and they go in an attempt to hit the nail on the head. It might be your absolute favorite flavor, but millions of other shoppers just didn't buy it. And since they are only sold in the HD that limits the opportunity to sell it.

A serious tool brand would be sold in other places other than HD. Makita, DW, Bosch, Hitachi (Lowe's little bizitch). Being sold at the HD and only the HD is what will limit Ridgid. They make some great stuff, but I too am concerned everytime I purchase a ridgid tool because I fear the DISCO.

Comment

Home Depot is the exclusive owner of the name "Ridgid" so in effect they are not just a distributor but a quasi owner of the Ridgid Tool Co. I worked for Home Depot for several years as a manager and I know this to be true.

Comment

no they are not part owner. TTI is the owner and they have a commitment to HD to be exclusive with new product to HD. HD has no money in TTI / Emerson

Comment

HD does not have any ownership in Ridgid. They are the exclusive seller for Ridgid branded power tools only, which are manufactured and owned by TTI. That is the same company that owns Milwaukee and Ryobi. The rest of Ridgids product line such as plumbing products are sold at other stores and not exclusive to HD.

Comment

In fact Ridgid no longer offers the 24V circular saw in any form. Oh yes, its shown in their cool new online hyper catalogue as a 24V Circular saw or the 18/24V Max select saw. Home Depot does not carry either model and of course have no idea when they will be available. Sooooooooo Ridgid once again has put some tools out there that people want to buy and don't seem to deliver the goods......................................
                    Ok....So I owe an appology to Ridgid. I went to the local HD in Auburn,NY today and they have 5 of the Maxselect 18/24V LI circular saws in stock. The only problem with this story is that I had called this store last week to check on the availability of this saw. They told me it was not in stock. When I went to the tool dept today they told me they had not heard anything about this saw. Went to customer service to see if saw was in the computer system yet as available for order. Surprise, customer service checked the computer and told me it showed 5 in inventory. He called tool guy up to customer service desk and gave him the good news. Tool guy took my cell number and said he would check "around" and call when he found saw. As I was leaving store I cruised by the section where all the corded saws are displayed....wallah!.....there were the Maxselect 18/24V saws. So I have egg on my face for beating up on Ridgid, however Ridgids marketing partner put it there.
                    So now my nephew can puchase the Maxselect 18/24V for $117.00 and the 24V battery (What sense does one battery make?)and charger kit which is on sale for $149.00. So he will have the saw and a single 24V battery with charger for $266.00. Wow! I didn't truely appreciate what a good deal my R930 24V combo set was at $319.00. The circ saw, recip saw, hammer drill, light, two 24V LI batteries , charger and a free extra tool(Maxselect jig saw) for $319 was a hell of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                      In fact Ridgid no longer offers the 24V circular saw in any form. Oh yes, its shown in their cool new online hyper catalogue as a 24V Circular saw or the 18/24V Max select saw. Home Depot does not carry either model and of course have no idea when they will be available. Sooooooooo Ridgid once again has put some tools out there that people want to buy and don't seem to deliver the goods......................................
                      Ok....So I owe an appology to Ridgid. I went to the local HD in Auburn,NY today and they have 5 of the Maxselect 18/24V LI circular saws in stock. The only problem with this story is that I had called this store last week to check on the availability of this saw. They told me it was not in stock. When I went to the tool dept today they told me they had not heard anything about this saw. Went to customer service to see if saw was in the computer system yet as available for order. Surprise, customer service checked the computer and told me it showed 5 in inventory. He called tool guy up to customer service desk and gave him the good news. Tool guy took my cell number and said he would check "around" and call when he found saw. As I was leaving store I cruised by the section where all the corded saws are displayed....wallah!.....there were the Maxselect 18/24V saws. So I have egg on my face for beating up on Ridgid, however Ridgids marketing partner put it there.
                      So now my nephew can puchase the Maxselect 18/24V for $117.00 and the 24V battery (What sense does one battery make?)and charger kit which is on sale for $149.00. So he will have the saw and a single 24V battery with charger for $266.00. Wow! I didn't truely appreciate what a good deal my R930 24V combo set was at $319.00. The circ saw, recip saw, hammer drill, light, two 24V LI batteries , charger and a free extra tool(Maxselect jig saw) for $319 was a hell of a deal.
                      roadrashray-

You got a fabulous deal. We didn't get anything close to that up here in Canada.

Comment

Working...
                      X