Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

charging issues

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • charging issues

    Hi all,

    This is my second Ridgid cordless drill (18 volt model R8411503) Had it for about a year. Use it 2-3 times a month. Never had this issue with my old one.
    It seems that when I use it steady, like when screwing down decking,and put the dead battery on charge, the red light will flash for quite some time. I have let it cool(off the charger) for at least 15 minutes and still red. Only after a good 1/2 hr or more will it finally charge.
    My cousin also has an 18v ridgid for about the same period of time and uses it less than I do but still has the same occassional problem.He even let it sit in the freezer for several minutes to no avail.

    Any ideas as to why this is happening? Is it covered by warranty? And finally, does the dual charger with fan help this problem.
    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: charging issues

    From the Manual ....

    CHARGING A HOT BATTERY PACK
    When using the tool continuously, the batteries in the
    battery pack will become hot. You should let a hot
    battery pack cool down for approximately 20 minutes before
    attempting to recharge.
    If the battery pack is above normal temperature range, the
    red LED will begin flashing and the green LED will be off.
    When the battery pack cools down to approximately 104°F
    (40°C), the charger will automatically begin fast charge mode.

    If it is hot out you need to find a cool location for the charger or the battery will never charge. The dual charger helps because it circulates air through the batteries but again the air needs to be several degrees cooler than 104°F. The freezer is not a good plan, it may damage the pack. A house with A/C is plenty cool enough, some of us that work outside with no access to A/C use a cooler with gel freezer packs to provide a cool environment.
    If the packs eventually charge they are not defective

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: charging issues

      Remember the battery cells get hot internally. Sticking them in the freezer for a bit will cool the casing and outside giving the impression it has cooled down enough but the inside of the cells will still remain hot. 1/2 hour sounds about right for cooling down though. This is not a problem with the drill. Its just the way the technology is. My dewalt nicad batteries take about as long to cool down and start charging when they are under continuos heavy use such as with the reciprocating saw.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: charging issues

        Originally posted by jjk1 View Post
        Hi all,

        This is my second Ridgid cordless drill (18 volt model R8411503) Had it for about a year. Use it 2-3 times a month. Never had this issue with my old one.
        It seems that when I use it steady, like when screwing down decking,and put the dead battery on charge, the red light will flash for quite some time. I have let it cool(off the charger) for at least 15 minutes and still red. Only after a good 1/2 hr or more will it finally charge.
        My cousin also has an 18v ridgid for about the same period of time and uses it less than I do but still has the same occassional problem.He even let it sit in the freezer for several minutes to no avail.

        Any ideas as to why this is happening? Is it covered by warranty? And finally, does the dual charger with fan help this problem.
        Thanks
        I only use my impact driver for screws, bolts, etc. By design the tool gets warm, but the battery does not. The drills are good for exactly that, drilling, but not for driving(battery gets too hot)
        http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: charging issues

          Thanks a lot for the replies.

          I guess that makes sense what onlycordless said. That it is putting a heavy strain on it for a long,steady period.

          I think I may try the gel packs and see what happens.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: charging issues

            I would take advantage of your warranty(it is included in the price)
            You had the drill for only about a year.
            The standard warranty without registering the tools is 3 years.
            Lifetime, if registered within 90 days of purchase.

            enter your zip code for a service center here http://www.ridgid.com/MenuDriver.asp...enters&Code=PT
            http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: charging issues

              I too had the problem of hot NICAD batteries having to cool down for a considerable period of time before they could eventually accept a charge. I had 3 batteries in operation on a remodel job and each of them reacted in the same way and were just too hot to continue. I too am interested to hear if the dual charger with fan solves this problem or reduces the down time on recharging the NICADs. Does the same problem exist with the Lithium-ion batteries when it comes time to recharge? I recently purchased the 18 volt Li-ion drill to obtain the batteries for my other 18 volt tools, but haven't had the hard use times that would generate the heat that I experienced with the NICADs as the remodel project is now indoors past the framing, roofing, drilling, and cutting stage of the job. Have you any experience with heat on the Li-ion batteries?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: charging issues

                Spinalzo: That's a very good question that I would like to know also.
                Im very interested in these lithium packs, but the price is still to high for me.
                I do believe though, that Nic-Cads are on there way out in the quality line of cordless tools.
                Yes I always have a problem charging my packs also when it's hot out.
                Fact is yesterday I took my drill and three packs in to a Ridgid service center hopping to get some new batteries also.
                They work ok with the drill but just don't have the strength any more with the Sawsall or the skill saw.
                Last edited by bob bridgewater; 09-08-2007, 11:25 AM.
                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                Be safe out there folks
                Bob B
                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: charging issues

                  I have the dual charger. Never taken more than 40 mins total to cool down and cherge 2 ni-cads. One of my sons has the 24 volt LI kit (930). He beats his tools to death. Never had a problem charging either of the batteries that came with the 930 combo kit.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: charging issues

                    Lithium Ion will suffer from the same limitation to some extent, its the nature of batteries in general. Its a good question though. I have the lithium ion makita set and have never noticed any heat delay. Don't take that comment for granted though because I never taxed them that heavily. I was a bit unimpressed with their power so I actually avoided using them that often and just went back to the Dewalt nicad stuff. I later got the Dewalt 36v and I've used them quite hard. I've done some work that has required the reciprocating saw to run virtually continuosly for aa full charge. Pretty much and the batteries were cool all the time. My experience with the 18v nicad saw were a guaranteed 30 min heat dalay minimum. They have always started charging right away. Same goes for the drill. I've worked in almost continuosly hammerdrilling into poured concrete and no delay either. However, the mere fact that the batteries are 36v means they draw a lower current which is what really heats up the batteries and motor.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: charging issues

                      Originally posted by onlycordless View Post
                      I would take advantage of your warranty(it is included in the price)
                      You had the drill for only about a year.
                      The standard warranty without registering the tools is 3 years.
                      Lifetime, if registered within 90 days of purchase.

                      enter your zip code for a service center here http://www.ridgid.com/MenuDriver.asp...enters&Code=PT

                      Thanks for the link. Naturally, there aren't any close though.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: charging issues

                        Originally posted by bob bridgewater View Post
                        Spinalzo: That's a very good question that I would like to know also.
                        Im very interested in these lithium packs, but the price is still to high for me.
                        I do believe though, that Nic-Cads are on there way out in the quality line of cordless tools.
                        Yes I always have a problem charging my packs also when it's hot out.
                        Fact is yesterday I took my drill and three packs in to a Ridgid service center hopping to get some new batteries also.
                        They work ok with the drill but just don't have the strength any more with the Sawsall or the skill saw.

                        How did you make out with the service center?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: charging issues

                          Originally posted by jjk1 View Post
                          Thanks for the link. Naturally, there aren't any close though.

                          Same here, the closest service center is 70 miles.
                          http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: charging issues

                            Similar problems here but made worse by the fact that it is commonly over 104F outside in the shade and hotter in the sun during the summer...
                            The batteries will never cool enough to charge without putting them into a cooler with gel packs for a bit...
                            In the winter they work great though...

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X