X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ryobi Lithium Ion Tools Coming

folks,

thanks for the thoughtful replies.

here's another question--(sorry, another ryobi question).

Are the tools (drill, compact circular saw, reciprocating saw) included in the One Plus Lithium Ion kit (the chartreuse ones) any different other than color than the blue Ryobi tools in the regular-old One Plus kit?

Comment

They are pretty similar with some updates...some good, others just different. The battery has been repositioned on the circular saw...possibly an improvement. The shape of the reciprocating saw is a little different...not sure I like the new shape as well. The drill loses the magnetic tool holder...which I never cared for, and the tiny bits that get lost way to easy from the rubber holder.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the Ryobi lithium starter kit to come out. I just won two lithium batteries on an Ebay "best offer" deal today ($115 for two batts. no charger). Who knows if that a good deal or not, but I don't need another (fourth) Ryobi drill, so I don't want to get the drill kit just for the charger and batteries. After the starter kit comes out, I'll have three batteries and plenty of uses for them.

Ern

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
          I'm still waiting for the Ryobi lithium starter kit to come out. I just won two lithium batteries on an Ebay "best offer" deal today ($115 for two batts. no charger). Who knows if that a good deal or not, but I don't need another (fourth) Ryobi drill, so I don't want to get the drill kit just for the charger and batteries. After the starter kit comes out, I'll have three batteries and plenty of uses for them.

Ern
          Compared to what they would cost from Ryobi, it is probably a good deal.

The individual tools, batteries and accessories you see for sale on Ebay are 99% of the time from big kits people break apart and sell. It is a win-win situation. You save money on the individual tools. They make money by buying a big kit and parting it out.

Comment

P.S. Our local HD had the battery upgrade kits since last week. However they were $109 vs. the $99 that was reported originally. I saw someone post on the Ryobi forum that they were able to buy the kit for $99. Not sure why it is higher in our store.

Comment

There is a huge difference between cheap Ryobi tools and brands like Bosch and Milwaukee. We repair these tools and when you get inside you can tell the difference. Cheap tools like these you don't repair because they are essentially disposable tools. They break you throw it away.

For a DIY guy who uses these tools once a month to hang curtains for his wife and builds a deck every 4 years these tools are fine. Chances are they will last for the first 25 uses which might get you through 2 years. For them a Bosch 36v Litheon is over kill but they want the best and have the money so they buy them. Most Porsche drivers don't use their cars to race on the track but they'll be pissed if you switch it with a Hyundai.

For professionals who use them everyday and put several thousand screws into sheetrock each week you'll get a whole different view. We have Milwaukee 18V that have been in the field for 4-6 years with daily use the batteries get replaced all the time and recently we've been upgrading them all to Lithium Ion (batteries and chargers are reverse compatible) and they just keep on going. If we tried to sell them a Ryobi we would get laughed at.
              Jay
              Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
              Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jay6 View Post
                For a DIY guy who uses these tools once a month to hang curtains for his wife and builds a deck every 4 years these tools are fine. Chances are they will last for the first 25 uses which might get you through 2 years.
                Agreed. For most homeowners they are fine. I've even seen contractors use Ryobis as "disposable" tools. They get a year or two out of them in day to day hard use and then replace them. They don't worry about them getting stolen like they would a $400 drill. I knew one electrician who was on his 4th year with a Ryobi drill (used for lighter dutys...not boring through rafters) so I wouldn't go as far as to say they are only good for 25 uses or 2 years. It really depends on whether those 25 uses are to put up blinds or drive 2000 deck screws.

My recent Ryobis have all held up pretty well. I did waste two Ryobi drill clutches years ago when I was really pushing them on some big projects.

Comment

The only real gripe I have about Ryobi is the battery life.

For what you pay for the tools you get an excellent value for your money. The batteries don't last long and wear out realatively quickly. Maybe the newer lithiums will solve this.

My HD has the lithium batt and charger for $99. They also have the flashlight/drill/charger and 2 batteries for $159. So for $60 more you get another battery, drill and flashlight. Maybe purchasing it this way would be cheaper than buying another battery. Definately cheaper than ebay right now for a 2 batts and a charger.

Comment

I agree that for the money my Ryobi tools have held up fine. I would not put them up against my Ridgid 18 volt for heavy duty applications but they are still adequate for many jobs. I agree the Ryobi batteries have always been a weak link, didn't help that I got two for only $40.00, they were just too weak and did not last very long. I plan to get that drill kit with the two lithiums for $160.00. If the lithiums perform as expected I will end up with two handy drills another tool light and finally a battery that won't let me done. Not to mention a charger that will handle both the old nicads but the newer lithiums.

Comment

instead of the ryobi, i ended up getting the 1/2" Ridgid corded drill and a new ridgid 1/2" boring bit.

The firewood rack i built with my little dewalt 9.6v (described earlier) called for a 1/2" hole to be drilled through three 2x4's (treated). These easily took 3-4 minutes per 2x4 with the dewalt. at 4 of these joints per rack, this took up a ton of time and sucked the batteries down to nothing. of course, its probably no surprise to anyone here the ridgid replacement went through the combined joint in about 10 seconds.

i'm not a carpenter who relies on tools to make a living, but it sure was nice not to waste a bunch of time building a simple rack--this ridgid drill has paid for itself in one afternoon in time savings.

Comment

Well, you got the job done without spending a ton of money. If you don't mind using an extension cord the drill you bought is great for around the house. There will be all sorts of cordless kits coming out very soon, so when you decide to expand your tool collection the choices will be even greater. You also have the added advantage of reading the comments on this site by the guys who do use these tools every day.

Comment

Originally posted by funkymonkey1111 View Post
                          instead of the Ryobi, i ended up getting the 1/2" Ridgid corded drill and a new Ridgid 1/2" boring bit.

....this Ridgid drill has paid for itself in one afternoon in time savings.
                          I have that drill also, and yes its very powerful. It drills pocket holes lightning fast. You can't beat the 12' cord.

Ern

Comment

Working...
                          X