X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi Lithium Ion Tools Coming

I was browsing the Computer systems as I periodically do to see what new stuff we have coming in and I came across the new line of lithium ion tools from Ryobi. I only found 3 different skus and here they are. My store shows them arriving around the 22nd of Sept. I searched the web a little and haven't been able to find any pictures or even an acknowledgment from Ryobi of these tools.

Ryobi 4pc Kit $259

Ryobi One+ Li-ion upgrade kit $99

Ryobi Lithium Ion Drill Kit $149

Just a little FYI to anybody interested
    Update: I found a picture of the Kit:

Last edited by cellardoor; 09-10-2007, 01:09 PM. Reason: image update

Re: Ryobi Lithium Ion Tools Coming

Thanks for the info.

The battery has always been the drawback to cordless tools. Now that the lower end of tools has lithium, I think most diyers will use RYOBI.

I am guessing they are 18volt since there is a ONE+ upgrade kit. Any info on amp/hr.?
    http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Someone posted this in another forum:

http://community.woodmagazine.com/dg...Id=personaDest

I have a few Ryobi tools and if I do upgrade, I think I'll buy the drill kit and get two batteries instead of just one with the upgrade kit. I really like the impact driver and also have a few of thier lawn/garden tools. 2.4 ah will be quite an improvement.

Ern

Comment

Man, that yellow color is as fugly as those lime green fire trucks, no way would I want one of those things. RIDGID orange is bad enough. I like my tools a little more subdued in color, just short of camo.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

So thats whats inside the "Hyper Green Box" www.hypergreenbox.com signs that I have been seeing around the store. I just dont care much for dayglow tools.

Comment

Hey they copied the puke green color already used by those cheapo Kawasaki tools

Comment

Originally posted by cellardoor View Post
              I was browsing the Computer systems as I periodically do to see what new stuff we have coming in and I came across the new line of lithium ion tools from Ryobi. I only found 3 different skus and here they are. My store shows them arriving around the 22nd of Sept. I searched the web a little and haven't been able to find any pictures or even an acknowledgment from Ryobi of these tools.

Ryobi 4pc Kit $259

Ryobi One+ Li-ion upgrade kit $99

Ryobi Lithium Ion Drill Kit $149

Just a little FYI to anybody interested
              Update: I found a picture of the Kit:

What size do you guys think that circ saw blade is? Do you think they kept the old 5 1/2 saw size?

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post
                Now that the lower end of tools has lithium, I think most diyers will use RYOBI.
                I agree with Onlycordless. I go to HD several times a week and I always seem to see at least one person headed for the register with a Ryobi cordless tool. That is where I started years ago with my first cordless tools. The poor battery life is what led me away to Makita, Bosch, and at least one Ridgid. The tools did the work I needed (I'm a hobbyist) the not so long lasting batteries just had me P.O.'d all the time.

Ern

Comment

See the thing is, ryobi packs are designed to have a short battery life. The cells in there are antiquated 1200 mAh (i think) sub c. The price difference between one of those and something around 2100 mAh is negligible especially if you're buying in bulk like TTI. Ryobi is now going to offer lithium ion but why only 2.4 Ah?! That can be easily done with NiCad cells

Comment

Yucky looking aren't they? I don't want tools that bother my eyes.

As to the cheapo cells, try looking at it this way. TTI wants to make as much profit as they can. If the cheapo cells cost only 2 cents less (their cost) than the better ones and they buy up 100,000 that's $0.02 x 100,000 which means that they saved $2000 on them. Remember there are huge profits from what the factory gets and what tools sell for retail. Now let's think in terms of far more cells. They save more $$$ and to TTI the parent of Ryobi it's all about making $$$ for the greedy head officers and stock holders. They don't care if the product is any good just so long as they can sell them. As long as it sort of works that's what matters.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 09-11-2007, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Well we got the 4 pc kit in this morning and of course they weren't in my department for more than 5 minutes before i opened up a kit and was checking them out. Over all they seem to be of good quality and in line with their standard ONE + line. The green is pretty awful though, worse than the pictures. The battery weight i thought was surprisingly heavy for the 18V 2.4aH li-ion. They say only 20% lighter and I believe them, not as much of a change versus the other brands. The drill in my opinion is worse than the current Torque IV out there because there is no quick change from drilling to driving and also the chuck seems abnormally long. The one thing I did like was the way the battery sits on the circ. saw. It makes it fairly compact but I would have liked to see the saw in a 6 1/2" (It's only 5 1/2")

All in all for $259 i'd say its a great entry level set for the homeowner/hobbyist.

Comment

I agree Ryobi is not as good when it comes to quailty compared to the Ridgid line. I was looking at the new Ridgid 18volt lithium Ion drill today at Home Depot and for $179.00 I get two lion batteries and the new charger too which will fit all my Ridgid 18volt nicad tools. I called Ridgid tech support and was told the amp hour on the lion battery is 3.0, not bad compared to the 2.4 MAX HC nicad, at it will hold a charge longer too. Anyone with differing information please post. The lion battery is smaller and lighter than the MAX HC and I hope they told me the right information. Thanks.

Comment

The HD tool guy wheeled in a box with 4 sets of these while I was there today. Dewalt had one of their reps there and I overheard him say that the sets could be stocked in the trash. He was quick to check them out though and take pics. I didn't get a chance to handle any of them, but man are they green!

Comment

It would be nice if the Lithium Ion battery could be used on my current set of Ryobi 18V tools, of which I have about 7.

Comment

Originally posted by dwcurry View Post
                              It would be nice if the Lithium Ion battery could be used on my current set of Ryobi 18V tools, of which I have about 7.

They can. They will be selling a charger and one 18v lithium battery for about $100. The new charger will also charge your current 18v batteries.

Comment

Working...
                              X